Can coil packs have an intermittent problem?

viperrt96

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’ve just developed this miss that I can only best describe as a cut out. Kind of like a having a bad spark plug wire but only worse. It’s definitely more than one cutting out. If I throttle up fast I get this miss but if I throttle up slowly. No miss? I’m now thinking coil packs but I always thought that coil packs were either good or bad. The wires are fairly new and I just put a set of plugs in so the only thing left that I can think of is the coil packs.

I may go ahead and buy new wires but I can’t decide on which ones to buy. I’ve always bought the Mopar performance wires (blue 8.5mm) and that’s what I have on it now.

Magnecor or what else is there?

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't think it is the coil packs. I have seen several people replace them trying to fix mis fire issues, myself included and it has never been the fix.

Maybe you are having a fuel issue?

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On another thread, another member is having a similar problem. Mark from woodhouse made a suggestion it could be an O2 sensor.

OP
OP
V

viperrt96

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's not throwing any codes. My fuel pump is less than 2 years old. I'm reading 55lbs of fuel pressure so.....I'll keep looking

Tusc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know it's silly, but be sure to check all your grounds as well.

And make sure none of the wires for the injection harness are pinched.

There was a whole crew working on a race-prepped C5 Z06 at Lime Rock a few years ago that couldn't figure out why the engine kept sputtering. They replaced the MAF twice, all the coil packs, were running up and down scratching their heads. Me, the shadetree mechanic, I go over and see that a zip-tie had worn through the electrical tape and into a few of the wires (main one was for the MAF). Presto-change-o!

I doubt it's the case with your car, but never hurts to check the basics.

OP
OP
V

viperrt96

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm hoping it's something simple like that. The ground cable I have checked also. For some reason though I keep coming back to the ignition thus the reason for my post. My luck it will be something like that.

OP
OP
V

viperrt96

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Don

Good deal and a great find for you. That's very similar to what my car is doing.

I'm checking the MAP Now!.

I'll let you know

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery