Can the Gen 5 Autocross - A Primer

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had an opportunity to autox the car this weekend. Let me start off by saying I have done quite a bit of autox with my Gen 2 so all the comparisons will be slanted towards my G2 experience. As far as ability, 50% of the time I ****, 25% of the time I am OK and 25% of the time I am pretty good. I think part of that is because the viper is too large for autox and the power does not always help.

Myself (G5) and a friend with a G1 joined a corvette regional autox points event. I believe it was five state clubs that sponsered the event. The national corvette club has a very well defined set of classes for autox. My guess is that this event had some of the fastest cars from each club. This was a two day event, however, we only raced on the second day. The course was fast and the gates were open which is good for both the corvette and the viper. Lastly, this was a very good group of people and they showed us a lot of hospitality.

There were approx 40 cars at the event. At least half the cars had full slicks. We had 13 runs full runs. The temps were about 80 degrees. To the best of my knowledge the following is accurate. The course/time board is very busy and hard to follow, plus, some cars did not have their last two runs displayed when we left. They are supposed to email us the results, if they differ I will correct this account. From what I could see I had the third fastest car. What makes it more interesting, this was a first timeout for the car and I was running street tires versus the competition with full slicks, although, the Corsa's seem to stick real well. The car will have A6's on it fairly soon. My friend with the G1 also did very well.

Technical Review
I guarantee that anyone who has autox'ed previously will be all smiles if they autox this car. In short it is amazing. It will improve your times.

Stability Control - this may not be the same for road racing, but, but, for autox I do not think that lap times will improve if you run with stability off. I run autox with a Pontiac GXP turbo and it turns better times with stability off, I do not believe that is the case for this car. The stability/traction control is non-evasive when you are at speed and it does allow a lot of drift even though this car is an SRT with no race mode. The stability is merely off or on.

Traction Control - This is the only wart I have found on this car. When you run with stability control on, that automatically includes traction control. The traction control portion is far too invasive and and causes the car to bog when you launch. Until they make a PCM change you will not get around this problem consistently when stability/traction control is turned on. The current solution is to launch with stability off and as soon as you are at speed you turn stability back on. It is a little tricky, but, manageable. This is probably not an issue if the autox slows you down off the gate, however, at this event you could get speed up quickly, therefore, a good launch was important.

Tires - The P-Zeros seem to stick very nicely. You have to start cold at 25 psi. I made a mistake and started at 29 psi, they went up to 36 psi during the runs and the tires started to crown and they did not have the full patch on the ground. The tires ran 150-160 degrees on the track. This car was set up by Woodhouse and the tires on the outside had real even temps once I dropped them down to 29-30 degrees hot. If you drop these down any further they will chunk on you real quick.

Windshield Wipers - they are pretty close to the steering wheel, take out the fuse.

Shocks - This car has the MCS shocks and 500/800 springs. They basically have 15 clicks of range. My street settings are compression at full soft and the rebound at 7 clicks off full close. For autox I started with the compression at 8 clicks off full close and the rebound at 10 clicks off full close. The problem with stability control on is that it sort of hides the changes you make to the shocks. You no longer get the full feel, you have to look at lap times. We ran 4/4/6 sets of laps. I kept increasing the compression till I saw a difference, however, I forgot the stability control was masking the changes. In my last set of six runs I had the compression up at 11 clicks, that was way too much and my lap times went up, however, I was feeling more comfortable with the car and turned my best time on the last run.If the compression setting had been at 7-8, the time would have been better.

Steering - I think one problem with the G2 was the time-delay when steering, such as in the slalom, it did not react fast enough. That hesitation is gone you do not have to slow down or contemplate where you have to turn - you just turn and it does turn on a time and it stays planted.

Gearing - As much a I hate this long first gear for drag racing, however, this first gear is perfect for autox.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for that insight Jack.

Vipers are great fun to autocross. The low RPM torque really gives you an advantage, but also can catch you out.

The wide tires really get you some dig, and the power band is wide and smooth enough so you do not usually need to do a lot of shifting.

Glad to see that the electronic gadgets are working out well.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. I've tried autox a few times but find it too small and I like gears other than 1st, lol. VOI had one of the best I've been on, nice and long. I'd think the gearing would definitely be a plus. Sounds like it was great, if you can afford a gen5 then you can afford a go pro. ;-)

OP
OP
J

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You cannot tell you have stability control, it is so non-intrusive. It is probably more apparent on a high speed road course. The launch is a problem though, you have to shut off stability to get any sort of launch.

Thanks for that insight Jack.

Vipers are great fun to autocross. The low RPM torque really gives you an advantage, but also can catch you out.

The wide tires really get you some dig, and the power band is wide and smooth enough so you do not usually need to do a lot of shifting.

Glad to see that the electronic gadgets are working out well.

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
How big was the track and what were your times? How long between runs? I'm betting the MCS shocks make a world of difference as I thought the difference was night and day with my Gen 3 and motons.

Mark, can you share some tips for Autocross for us newbies as you made your runs look very smooth? May sound like a dumb question, but can you talk about braking in an autocross event?

Last edited:

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great info, thanks Jack. I just can't wait to get my Viper on the track, once it gets here. Shouldn't be long, it's in Trim now.

Reaction score
How big was the track and what were your times? How long between runs? I'm betting the MCS shocks make a world of difference as I thought the difference was night and day with my Gen 3 and motons.

Mark, can you share some tips for Autocross for us newbies as you made your runs look very smooth? May sound like a dumb question, but can you talk about braking in an autocross event?

Sure thing, Just like in road course driving you have to use the grip of the tires efficiently and that means they will grip better doing one thing at a time. The turning of the wheels will also act as a braking force so you should not really dive into the corners ******* the brakes then rapidly turn the wheel just because you can. Blending lighter braking (speed management) with smooth inputs lets the tire generate the most traction of any action (that is not new news, but hard to make yourself do on tight courses or when taking slow turns at the track). Corner speeds are up this way and since you spend the most "time" in the slower corners at an autocross it's the best place to make up time rather then end of straight speeds.

Another big thing to remember is the further you can look ahead the smoother your inputs will be (slowing down those urgent reactions to not seeing what is next) and allowing you to really gage how fast you are traveling.

OP
OP
J

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would estimate the course at 1/2 mile, it was not long. There were 3 sets, within a set you raced approx every 4 minutes. My best time was a 31.1. There were two places where I consistently hit the limiter (64 mph).

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
When it comes to autocrossing Mark knows of where he speaks. He seldom mentions it but he has won numerous Pro-Solos , Divisional Championships and has missed a couple of National Championships by 1000ths of a second. A certain tire manufacturer had him as a contract driver, so the boy is fast and can definitely set up a Viper for the track -- autocross or road course.

HogWhisperer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mark, you make it look easy when it absolutely is not. Smooth is fast as they say and you are smooth. Nice! Jack, thanks for the great info! --Paul