Gen 1 wires from trunk to interior?

maverickagm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I installed some new speakers and they are more sensitive to poor audio signal. With the key on and engine off, I turn on the head unit with volume at 0, and I can hear a high pitched whine. I'm not being picky here, it is a legitimate nuisance. I grabbed some RCA coaxial cable and tested with a new cable and the whine goes away. So the question is, how do I run a cable from the trunk to the interior?

I followed some wiring diagrams and got a partial look at under the car. The factory wires go into the trunk grommet, over the gas tank, down into the transmission tunnel. I could make out two grommets to go into the interior. One is for the rear speaker cables and something else.... The other follows the right side frame, then goes into the passenger side toe box (inner side wall).

I don't want to follow this path because that's the noisy path following all the power wires. How have people done this in the past?

I was thinking of running the wire into the center console between the carpet and side wall then running it behind the rear bulkhead trim. I don't believe there's any grommets there to get into the fuel tank area and I'm super-hesitant to start poking holes in that area.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

maverickagm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's a good suggestion. I had actually tried ferrite blocks on one pair of RCAs as well as a make-shift ground loop isolator, but the problem persisted.

Note to others: If you've come here searching for a solution, go here:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala