Plugs and wires

Suregrip391

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Group!
on my completely stock, original 97 GTS I was told to run the Champion 438 plugs (RC12ECC) which I already bought. Now looking for a set of wires. are the Quality wires still the wire of choice here or is that personal preference for some? I’m looking for a decent set to run. The car is a Sunday cruiser for us. Never tracked or run hard. What do you think? I’d prefer they fit the stock looms and are black in color. Honestly if I could find a set of new dated OEM wires I’d like that but don’t think anyone is repopping them….yet…. Thoughts on wires and who to buy from For the best deal out there? Thanks guys!

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quality Wires are a solid choice. I tried them, but they didn't fit my custom heat shields - couldn't get my fingers on the boots.

TEALLIFE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have radio interference with Quality Wires, although i dont think many have had the same issue. They are nice otherwise.

Badsnek

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Group!
on my completely stock, original 97 GTS I was told to run the Champion 438 plugs (RC12ECC) which I already bought. Now looking for a set of wires. are the Quality wires still the wire of choice here or is that personal preference for some? I’m looking for a decent set to run. The car is a Sunday cruiser for us. Never tracked or run hard. What do you think? I’d prefer they fit the stock looms and are black in color. Honestly if I could find a set of new dated OEM wires I’d like that but don’t think anyone is repopping them….yet…. Thoughts on wires and who to buy from For the best deal out there? Thanks guys!
Havik Performance has their own wires made just for Vipers. I run their wires on all my Vipers. I suggest giving them a call, they can hook you up and ship you a set to your door. (484) 274-3037

99RT10GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any good OEM equivalent wire will be fine. Most wires are never replaced which is a shame with all the heat cycles, they do breakdown. The should be replaced based on age alone every 4-5 years.

I sell a few different sets, but for $100 plus shipping, cheap insurance.

Peter Kater

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Group!
Hi there!
I have a 97 GTS and having done my homeworks, I came to the fact that the OEM wires have an 18 years lifetime. Do the maths...
I purchased a complete set of Quality Wires for my GTS and couldn't be more happy with them. These are numbered for easy fitting. You can have them in red or black color (I chose the latter to stay as close to OEM visually as possible).
I don't remember exactly what, but there's also an extra feature (extra heat shielding on the connection tips?) that I just ticked. The product quality is top notch. Price is OK.
Go with the Quality Wires, you won't regret it!

Bill W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are new OEM wires still available? Probably my first choice but can't find them.
Will Quality Wires fit the cable separators?

OP
OP
Suregrip391

Suregrip391

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I found that Scott’s wires are $209 on their website but only like $145 (roughly) at Summit racing…..I heard those are pretty good wires.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They are really good wires. I got the 8.5's with fiberglass sleeves. With the early OE open top wire separators, they will fit if your are careful. If you have the closure types, then get the 8.5s without the glass sleeves.

Attachments

• Scott wires D-Side.jpg
    Scott wires D-Side.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 20
  • Scott wires P-Side.jpg
    Scott wires P-Side.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 20

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you buy from Scott you get them any way you want.Taylor makes these style clamps that I've seen used on the glass sleeve stuff and they look really nice. I think you can get them in 8 or 10mm sizes. Although I've never actually seen how the studs attach to the separators, I think for our valve covers, you'd want the "vertical" style to go in our 1/4-20 studs. https://www.summitracing.com/search...nding&keyword=taylor 10.4 vertical wire looms

Attachments

• Smoothie wire seps.jpg
    Smoothie wire seps.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
OP
OP
Suregrip391

Suregrip391

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the pics Dean, trying to decide still on a wire set in black to look OEM or maybe red to blend in with the valve covers. I want to go with the NGK set but don’t want blue. Those look out of place to me in there. i want to stay with a 7 or 8 mm also but want a decent set, not sure which way to go In regards to manufacturer. Something of decent quality that can handle the heat and last With good positive clicks when installed.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Small wires are just fine *IF* you keep them neatly routed away from header heat. Factory shielding and looms are nicely done, but wires will eventually fail along their length from aging of the outer sleeve.

Racing/HDPE puts a lot more heat load around the plugs from exhaust headpipes and that is where most will fail early. Best to keep the factory stainless sleeves around the plugs, slip some inexpensive woven socks around the plug boots and route the wires as close to factory as possible. Below is a night image of unprotected, ceramic coated headers after about 15 secs of running at 3000rpm. It won't take too many track sessions to melt everything around them at 5000rpm+.

Attachments

• P-side hot headers.jpg
    P-side hot headers.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

maverickagm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just changed my wires on my 93 using Quality Wires. Each was slightly shorter than the OEM wires (date stamped 93!) but I think it was intentional to cut out some of the slack. They fit the OEM wire clips without issue. But man... what a chore. Number 5 was the hardest. My right hand was shoulder-deep between the firewall and engine. My cheek was resting against the top of the engine. My left hand gripping the throttle body. I basically bear-hugged the engine until I got the positive click. Next is the auto lite iridium plugs, but my arms and shoulders need to recover first.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now that you've earned your stripes - next time, put some silicone grease on a Q-tip, then apply inside the rubber boots before pressing onto the coil towers and plugs.

Last edited:

maverickagm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
oh yeah. I did do that. My Quality Wires came with a little packet of dielectric grease. I also made sure to re-push in all the plugs (on the coil side) once I was done all 10. By working on each wire one-at-a-time, it's easy to knock one of the 'done' ones loose while unplugging the 'next' one. I did that to one.

Today I fixed the air leak in my air compressor disconnect and blew the dirt out of the plug wells.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala