Can you get a big brake kit that uses the stock front Gen 2 caliper and SRT rearotor

troublemaker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As the title says. Is there a rear mount that can use the stock front caliper with an SRT rotor on the rear of a GTS? I have been looking to convert the front to SRT calipers but thought they would be too much for the rear. I want to use SRT rotors on all 4 corners.

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Can you get a big brake kit that uses the stock front Gen 2 caliper and SRT rearo

Search button is a great tool!

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Can you get a big brake kit that uses the stock front Gen 2 caliper and SRT rearo

The search button here *****...posting a link helps though

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Answer is Yes. Gen 3 Calipers fit on the front of the car, (must have minimum 18 inch wheels) if your going to use the larger srt brake disc too? you can then put the Gen 2 front calipers on the rear but you will require an additional Handbrake caliper too.

Like this ;) http://www.ipsco.org/Viper_files/parkingbrakekitViper.htm

Im sure if you search 'Daves Big Brakes' lots of stuff should come up on this mod :)

I did find this But this was to put SRT calipers on the rear, You get the idea though :)
http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/598315-Installing-Dave-s-Big-Brake-Kit

When Dave passed away, another Vendor who no longer Advertises on this site bought up his business.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

troublemaker

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks Anton, I have been searching for about a week. The only adapters that I was able to find used a stock rear rotor and stock front caliper or both from an SRT. I am very familiar with all of the kits, I had not been able to find the information on the set up I was looking for. But do the adapters allow the use of a stock Gen 2 front caliper in the back with an SRT rotor?

Darthmenace, you are correct, the search button does ****.

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Call Mark Johnson at IPSCO (303 252-4481). He makes the big brake kits. He knows everything there is to know about the brakes on these vipers.

denniskgb

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I ended up with front set up from srt 10 that is 14" rotors and front calipers all around. Mark from ipsco just made an emergency hand brake kit and hub centric spacers to clear calipers. And I went with longer studs all around. I am running .5" front and 1" rear spacers with stock 18" wheels. The wheels are no , longer recessed .
Not sure if this helps.

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score

troublemaker

I offer All you need for Big Brake Kits utilizing the SRT calipers, I have the brackets and all the accessories and the parking brakes etc.

Here is a link to thread with pictures of my Big BRake Kits, and I offer the Ipsco products that work with the Big Brake Kit Brackets that I offer.

http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/658556-Gen-2-Big-Brake-Kits-Special

Feel free to call or email me

707-849-0111 or [email protected]

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Depending on the year of your car ABS or not, you need to pay attention to brake bias. I have 14" SRT brakes on my '01 but have ABS. The latter makes the former work well. As pointed out, IPSCO is good stuff. I have theirs on my car.

KDR83

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Who has a kit that allows the stock front caliper and stock front rotor on the back of the car?

Not sure if anyone really answered his question. I dont think he wants SRT10 calipers all around.

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Who has a kit that allows the stock front caliper and stock front rotor on the back of the car?

Not sure if anyone really answered his question. I dont think he wants SRT10 calipers all around.

I have those brackets for moving your front calipers to the rear along with your 13 inch front rotors

I have numerous versions of the BBK,

SRT rotors and calipers all around,

SRT calipers and rotors front, your Gen 2 calipers and rotors on the rear

SRT calipes all around but 14 inch SRT rotors front and Gen 2 front rotors rear etc.

OP
OP
T

troublemaker

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The basis behind this is trying to save $900. I figured the front calipers worked fine for front brakes so they should work great for the rear. All I am trying to accomplish is to use the complete SRT front brakes, while using the stock front calipers on the rear with SRT rotors. I didn know if anybody actually makes a backet to fit this scenario. My rotors have seen better days so it seemed like a good time to upgrade.

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The basis behind this is trying to save $900. I figured the front calipers worked fine for front brakes so they should work great for the rear. All I am trying to accomplish is to use the complete SRT front brakes, while using the stock front calipers on the rear with SRT rotors. I didn know if anybody actually makes a backet to fit this scenario. My rotors have seen better days so it seemed like a good time to upgrade.

About 1/3 of the big brake kits I sell are configured exactly the way you want to do it.

The front GEN2 caliper is a Brembo 42/38 piston size caliper, the rear SRT caliper is a Brembo (different model) caliper 42/38 piston size caliper.

The front SRT calipers are 44/40 piston size.

KDR83

Enthusiast
Reaction score

So the Gen 2 front caliper on the rear will work with a SRT10 rear rotor, although different model does it still bolt on the same?

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score

As the title says. Is there a rear mount that can use the stock front caliper with an SRT rotor on the rear of a GTS? I have been looking to convert the front to SRT calipers but thought they would be too much for the rear. I want to use SRT rotors on all 4 corners.

This is a DIY on how to install the big brake kit: http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/598315-Installing-Dave-s-Big-Brake-Kit It illustrates using SRT calipers all around but it'll give you an idea of what you need to do.

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score

So the Gen 2 front caliper on the rear will work with a SRT10 rear rotor, although different model does it still bolt on the same?

It can be done but nobody makes a bracket to run stock front Gen 2 calipers with an SRT 14" rotor. with a 13" Gen 2 front rotor yes, have them on the shelf, 4 sets of em.

OP
OP
T

troublemaker

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks for all the information. I am trying to figure out the best way to go about this. Its for a 96 so since I dont have the luxury of ABS I am trying to get the brake bias as close as possible and then leave the fine tuning to a proportioning valve. One of the things I have not been able to figure out yet is the surface area of the brake pads. I figure the bigger the pad the less effort the caliper has to push for a given amount of braking, which should make for more consistant stopping with a better feel at the pedal.

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks for all the information. I am trying to figure out the best way to go about this. Its for a 96 so since I dont have the luxury of ABS I am trying to get the brake bias as close as possible and then leave the fine tuning to a proportioning valve. One of the things I have not been able to figure out yet is the surface area of the brake pads. I figure the bigger the pad the less effort the caliper has to push for a given amount of braking, which should make for more consistant stopping with a better feel at the pedal.

I like to think about it this way,

Dodge probably did their homework when they designed the SRT brake, they haven't changed them since 2003 and they are running the exact same package on the Gen5. The SRT brakes are pretty balanced, they are modulated by the ABS but it only makes sense that they set them up as good as they could before doing so, so that they have a fail safe in case the ABS controller stops working.

The SRT set up is 44/40 front 42/38 rear, this you can do with either SRT calipers all around or SRT fronts on the front and Gen 2 fronts on the rear.

The difference between using a 13" to a 14" rotor on the back is relatively negligible, cosmetically it looks good but (little know fact) the Comp Coupe had an UPGRADE to use a smaller i.e. 13" rotor on the rear, it didn't affect braking but it reduces unsprung weight so quit a few Comp coupes upgraded to the smaller lighter 13" rear rotors

To try to modulate what you have now with pads and a bias valve is one thing, you are just basically making a little change that will help, but it won't change your 60-0 braking distances from 125 down to 95 feet like the big brake upgrade can.

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I put a Stoptech big brake system on with 355mm (14.2") front rotors and 13" rears, no proportioning valve needed. Having a '96 means 17" wheels if you keep them you'll have to run 13" rotors all around or change to 18" rims which will allow you to run the BB package. This is not a bad idea as the '96 has the worst year wheel being they are the only year the wheels were cast (welded) instead of forged and if you run the car hard I've seen '96 wheels actually fall off of the '96 in the middle of a road race track.

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks Anton, I have been searching for about a week. The only adapters that I was able to find used a stock rear rotor and stock front caliper or both from an SRT. I am very familiar with all of the kits, I had not been able to find the information on the set up I was looking for. But do the adapters allow the use of a stock Gen 2 front caliper in the back with an SRT rotor?

Darthmenace, you are correct, the search button does ****.

The search button has been very helpful to me but i can see how it can get a bit frustrating at times.

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score

trouble maker. I did the DBB kit for my 99GTS and the difference in braking vs OEM is night and day.The OEM brakes used to lockup the fronts terrible, ruining tires prematurely.I used the srT 14" all around. Didn't use the Wilwood PV [ you'd save there if you're on a budget] , calibrated the OEM spring in the PV instead to adjust rear brake bias which you'd have to do by adjusting the knob on the Wilwood unit. Unless you want to track your car and concerned about extra weight of the 14" setup in the rear, I suggest to get the srt 14" all corners from GTS-R-001 and done with it.
Since you're going with 19" wheels in the back the 14" rotors would show better and you wouldn't regret later going 13"!

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

troublemaker

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Vancouver-GTS
Thanks for the information. It's a budget to a point, if the rear SRT calipers aren't going to improve the breaking over just moving the whole front set up to the rear, then it's not a good use of money to me. I am looking for the best bang for the buck, not the cheapest brakes possible. I just don't want to throw money away. I also thought the 14" rotors would fill the rear wheel better. A lot to consider and research. I was going to start throwing money at the motor, but this seems like a better start since the brakes are so horrible.

OP
OP
T

troublemaker

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Vancouver, I most certainly did. I am torn between that kit and the more expensive one with SRT calipers all around. As shallow as this sounds, I just don't think I would like the look of the 13" rotor in the 19" wheel. Maybe I'm wrong, it would definitely save a bunch of money. It's tough with a completely stock car, I want to upgrade everything. The brakes are the only part of the car I don't like. Unfortunately it means new wheels and tires. The tires were the easy part, they just arrived today.

OP
OP
T

troublemaker

Enthusiast
Reaction score

To try to modulate what you have now with pads and a bias valve is one thing, you are just basically making a little change that will help, but it won't change your 60-0 braking distances from 125 down to 95 feet like the big brake upgrade can.

Steve, I'm not trying to tweak the stock brakes. What I am trying to do is get the relationship between the front and rear close, as far as percentage of stopping power. Then once I have that in the ball park, the rest can be tweaked with pressure. I need a brakes that will work great on a track, but also good on the street.

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score

One way to look at it is that the rear brackets are all you would have to change out if you later decided to go 14 inch rears, the calipers you would have on the back are yours already and teh rotor you would have on teh back is yours already. If in the futur you wanted to upgrade I can easily sell you a new rear brackets set so you can add your rear SRT calipers and a 14 inch rotor

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32