Can't downshift from 6th to 5th

Raven2k8

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Tonight I was driving and I noticed I can't downshift from 6th to 5th, it feels like it is blocked when I try. I can shift from any lower gear up to 5th but not down from 6th. If the car is off I can downshift from 6th to 5th. Is a synchro going bad?

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try this: Push the clutch in, go from 6th to NEUTRAL. Let out the clutch and push it back in, then try to down shift from neutral into 5th. That can potentially help isolate whether its a synchro..

OP
OP
R

Raven2k8

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Try this: Push the clutch in, go from 6th to NEUTRAL. Let out the clutch and push it back in, then try to down shift from neutral into 5th. That can potentially help isolate whether its a synchro..

I tried that and it didn't work. The transmission has to go into 4th to get it back into 5th from 6th.

The transmission was rebuilt a few thousand miles ago by liberty gears. It has competition coupe gears and some billet crap. I forgot what all was done to it.

I'll just deal with it until I break it worse than it is :)

supersnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You did not state what year!!. I had the same problem with my 95 RT10. It did it right from new and the dealer wanted to swap out the trans, I would not let him. We drove the car and kept working it into gear and eventually after about 5000 miles it shifted fine, But if you have had yours rebuilt I would say they probably messed up a syncro.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960