Can't get my dealer to work on my viper

mele

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm not sure if I'm upset yet or not... but here is an odd story, especially in todays economy when I thought that dodge dealers would be willing to take on work.

Okay, I have a 2001 Dodge Viper ACR with 4 leaky shocks that need to be rebuilt. I have contacted the folks to rebuild them and obviously they don't have any to send to me to replace the ones I have, I need to send in my actual shocks for rebuild which puts my car on jack stands until the shocks get rebuilt and returned.

So I contact my local dodge dealer and talk with my service guy who knows me. He checks with the managers and no way, they will not let my car remain there while the shocks are sent out and rebuilt. Should be 1-2 weeks and they are worried about damage to my car. So I offer to have the viper tech come up and do the work in my garage and leave the car on stands there. Nope, no go there either, their insurance would not cover it.

So here I am in the middle of winter trying to get my car going for the driving season, and I cannot get my dodge dealer to fix my dodge. Bummer....

MEL

dun4791

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I don't blame the dealer. I wouldn't want a GTS in my shop for weeks sitting either.

Why not just pull them off yourself and send them in? If you can change a tire, you can do it.

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't blame them for that... There are people who would make their lives hell, if something happened to the car.

You have a garage right? Just leave the car on jackstands, and take the shocks off your self. And send them out UPS..

Or, buy a set of cheap/used stock GTS shocks, and put them on while yours are being serviced..

I would not want my car at a dealer... And if I owned a dealership (that did not specialize in high end cars), I would not want your viper there either. No offense..

whitebluevipe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
in this case i have to agree with the dealer. one thing i have found also is sometimes projects that are supposed to take a week or two end up taking a month or loinger and they don't want the car sitting there all that time.

OP
OP
M

mele

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't really blame the dealer either. I figured it was a significant job to remove the shocks, it appears I was wrong. Is there a "how to" somewhere on the site? I did a forums search but did not come back with any sort of a how to. I would prefer to just do it myself if it is doable in the average mans garage.

Thanks for the responses.

MEL

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. Put your viper on jackstands in your garage.
2. Take your wheels off
3. Take the shock/spring off
4. Bring to Any shop and have them remove the springs and send off the shocks. Rebuilt shocks will be sent back.
5. Put wheels back on then drive to the shop and have them put everything back together.

ok, #5 was a joke :rolaugh: (do Not drive without shocks/springs on any vehicle)

OP
OP
M

mele

Viper Owner
Reaction score
To get to the how to articles, is there an additional level of membership I need? The link says I do not have permission.

@Big Brake Dave:
I will assume that means it is easier?

Thanks again for the info

MEL

xlrashn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
As a shop owner I would have to side with the dealer as well. The production space taken up by a car that is "laid up" waiting for parts costs a shop BIG in lost productivity. Even if they have the extra space, my concern would be the "that mark was'nt there when I left it 2 weeks ago" syndrome. Not saying you would do that, however there ARE people out there that would. They just don't want to get burned. Maybe someone already burned them once and ruined it for you. Anyway, good luck with your repair.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just tell the dealer you will sign off making him exempt to storage damages.Vipers are stored for WEEKS at a time large dealerships (engines trannys ect ) that contribute to this site.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To get to the how to articles, is there an additional level of membership I need? The link says I do not have permission
@Big Brake Dave:
I will assume that means it is easier?
Thanks again for the info
MEL

Hi Mel...yes, to access the 'how-to' section, you need to be a VCA Member...no time like the present to join up! Call 1-800-998-1110/JRT/Viper Headquarters. More info: http://forums.viperclub.org/2403732-post1.html also http://forums.viperclub.org/2532773-post1.html

~juli

OP
OP
M

mele

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Missoula Montana.... not exactly the viper capitol of the world :)

MEL

1994viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Consider yourself lucky.
I once went to a dealership, which ruined my car and charged me $1,000 for it too. Then, I went to another dealership to fix the problem, which refused to take the car. After that, I took my car to an independent shop which fixed the issue for another $1000. Not all has been fixed yet. (If anyone has a spare airbox, which goes on to a heater core, I will be interested. A doofus who worked on my car cracked it with his elbow). Only then I realized how lucky I was, when a second dealership refused to take my car in. I wish the first one had done the same. ;)

Chrissss

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have to admit also I see the dealership's side on this. Liability all the way around. Hope it works out for you.

OP
OP
M

mele

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Boy, I feel like a loser for never having changed my shocks myself!

Sounds like I need to do it just to say I have....

@chuck
Sorry, I was unable to break away to call... will do first thing tomorrow.

MEL

svensk

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Maybe look into some softer rear springs? The stock ACR (01-02) rears are 1100 lbs and the ride is much nicer with a softer set (750 ??) unless you track you ACR. I just had all 4 replaced under warranty. Since the Dynamic shocks are not being serviced by Dodge I got the Koni's for the 99-00 ACR complete with springs. the rears were rated at 750 lbs and the ride is much better. I do not know for a fact that the springs interchange between the Dynamic and Koni shock.
Good luck with your winterproject!!
Jan

OP
OP
M

mele

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the ideas and info.

I did call chuck and he ran my vin and the shocks are not covered by dodge. I do appreciate all the info he did give me on my car and its history.

I plan to remove the shocks myself and am no looking for a good set of jackstands I'll fill comfortable with my viper sitting on as well as a low clearance jack. The one I have now was not intended for a viper, that is for sure.

Only have about 2 months before its driving season again! I better get moving. I plan to keep the factory springs as the ride does not bother us and a few track days are in store.

MEL

vipzilla

Viper Owner
Reaction score
im the service manager here at ford of hyannis 20 years now and i have to agree with the dealership liability is no 1 and 2 one vehicle lift in my shop is worth $9800.00 a week thats per lift so 4 shocks not worth it