Car and driver give the nod to the viper

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This months car and driver(not on website yet) did track testing in europe on the viper , z06, gt, f430, gallardo and some kinda porsche..Amongst the usa cars they gave the "nod" to the viper despite its slower 0-60 acceleration. The f430 took most of the individual categories and overall nod.

96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd rather have a Viper over any other car in the world, and could care less what any magazine says about it. Why is it that the Viper has ALWAYS been faster and handled better but they always chose the vet, and now when the ZO6 has the edge they choose the Viper? That should tell you something about the "experts" that have been slamming our cars for the past 14 years.

For me, it's how the car make me feel; lap times are not as important. No other car gives me the same sensation as a Viper. Other cars may be faster, but they just don't deliver the same emotion.

ASKYOURWIFE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What Ive found funny is that despite all the hype over how fast the Z06 is....

THE VIPER ALWAYS SEEMS TO PUT DOWN ROUGHLY EQUAL OR BETTER LAP TIMES IN ALL THE MAGAZINE TEST.

But then they knock the Viper saying it was to easy to drive around the course???????

Isnt being a easy car to drive through a road course the same formula that made the NSX have the street cred that is dose today?

But when the high 11 low 12 1/4 mile Viper also has good behavor around the road course it's a bad thing????

Im very interested in seeing this.

I know many here think that Dodge dropped the ball with the STR 10's...

But I disagree. The car can do 11.9 at 120 mph. Hardly slow or behind the competition back in 2003 or even in 2006 for that matter.

The car is beautiful. Much more exotic looking than the hum drum Z06.,

And now for the first time the SRT10's can run with the best in the world around a road course..

Im happy someone finaly noticed that. Thanks car and driver.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only other 2 cars I would like to have next to my viper atr the Ford GT and the Shelby 427 Cobra. Keep dreaming son

Robbie

VTen555

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just read the article anyone else notice the trap speeds for the Viper in the 1/4? Seems awful low...and Braking distance seems high?

96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And the Viper weighs 300 pounds more than the Z06. Don't you pick up a tenth for every hundred pounds you take off the car? How far off these times is a stock Gen II?

These are great times we live in. At the pinnacle of the muscle car era these times were unheard of in a stock street car, and anything that could post the same road course times was NOT street legal. Today we drive them to the track with the A/C on with an ice cold Coke in the cup holder.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajya