Car & Driver does it again.......

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was interesting that the comments that were made by the editors in the article did not seem to match the ratings.
Having 5 points for a back seat is a joke, and the BIG POINT categories like "Gotta have it" and "Fun to Drive" are totally subjective.
You must be registered for see images

For having won this comparison, the GT-R comments were not very glowing like "It's a 500HP Prelude", nor were the (2nd place) GT2 comments like "at times taming the GT2 feels like work" over which they much preferred the cheaper, less powerful, GT3 RS.

The Z06 did comparably well (although relatively slow compared to the best test numbers) but this does show that Chevy really needs to upgrade the tires to PS2s (like the ZR-1) so that it can tame the car's skittishness at speed. I was surprised that they complained that the ride of the Z06 was too soft and complaint.
This is a first for Corvette tests.:confused:

From this evaluation, the GT-R seems to have won because it was the easiest to drive, had lots of technology and convenience features (including a back seat), and ran mid-pack or better in handling, and only trailed a bit in acceleration.:dunno:

The Viper is a track dominating beast, even in this impressive company.

I never expect it to win in these magazine comparisons, because the ACR is far to focused, compared to these other cars that would make better daily drivers (especially the GT-R and Z06), but it showed how amazingly well this car performs on a track.
And all of us who know how to read and understand how well the ACR Viper did, know that it was really a HUGE victory for the Viper.:2tu:

Also notice that these magazines almost never have the guts to do a track test between cars like the ACR Viper, F430 Scuderia, and Lamborghini LP560, Pagani Zonda F, or Koenigsegg CCX. Because the results would be very embarassing, even if the ACR just matched their track performance.:cool:

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was interesting that the comments that were made by the editors in the article did not seem to match the ratings.
Having 5 points for a back seat is a joke, and the BIG POINT categories like "Gotta have it" and "Fun to Drive" are totally subjective.

For having won this comparison, the GT-R comments were not very glowing like "It's a 500HP Prelude", nor were the (2nd place) GT2 comments like "at times taming the GT2 feels like work" over which they much preferred the cheaper, less powerful, GT3 RS.

The Z06 did comparably well (although relatively slow compared to the best test numbers) but this does show that Chevy really needs to upgrade the tires to PS2s (like the ZR-1) so that it can tame the car's skittishness at speed. I was surprised that they complained that the ride of the Z06 was too soft and complaint.
This is a first for Corvette tests.:confused:

From this evaluation, the GT-R seems to have won because it was the easiest to drive, had lots of technology and convenience features (including a back seat), and ran mid-pack or better in handling, and only trailed a bit in acceleration.:dunno:

The Viper is a track dominating beast, even in this impressive company.

I never expect it to win in these magazine comparisons, because the ACR is far to focused, compared to these other cars that would make better daily drivers (especially the GT-R and Z06), but it showed how amazingly well this car performs on a track.
And all of us who know how to read and understand how well the ACR Viper did, know that it was really a HUGE victory for the Viper.:2tu:

Also notice that these magazines almost never have the guts to do a track test between cars like the ACR Viper, F430 Scuderia, and Lamborghini LP560, Pagani Zonda F, or Koenigsegg CCX. Because the results would be very embarassing, even if the ACR just matched their track performance.:cool:
Stop it already... you make too much sense! :D

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This piece of trash doesn't belong on the forum.

Always amusing to see newbies that come in demanding what goes in this forum or not. First post no less. :rolleyes:

The original quote was pretty spot on, but I would add that the mags not only like imports better than domestic, but they generally like bigger advertisers than smaller or non-advertisers.

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
geez... not to get off topic, but guys like me that aren't completely mechanically inclined can get sooo screwed.

I get frustrated debating stuff like this with my 14 y/o who only looks at the pictures and reads the headlines ...

That's are were all ripped off (on all topics) by a profit-driven media that makes news, rather than just reports it (if a Viper wins that's not news, but if the 'new' GT-R beats a Viper, that's news). :usa:

pe5787

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I wonder if they made the recommended adjustments that are in the ACR manual before putting it on the track. The times might be in the factory street setting.

Last edited:

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually, from reading the article Dodge had a SRT engineer there for this test, who helped dial in the Viper for this track. Which no doubt helped in the ACR getting such great times in the hands of the journalists.

Kudos to the SRT team!:2tu:

pe5787

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Actually, from reading the article Dodge had a SRT engineer there for this test, who helped dial in the Viper for this track. Which no doubt helped in the ACR getting such great times in the hands of the journalists.

Kudos to the SRT team!:2tu:

I think it’s only fair if the other cars are being adjusted electronically. I think they set the GTR to autopilot and had it drive the track on its own.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think it’s only fair if the other cars are being adjusted electronically. I think they set the GTR to autopilot and had it drive the track on its own.

Although "supposedly" hi-tech, I've not heard any comments on radar controlled brading and cruise control systems.

But the Mercedes SL and SLR DO adjust speed and braking when on crusie control. It will even stop the car at an intersection if you don't and the car in front of you does. I think BMW has something similar.

Now that's high tech and worth having in a luxury car!!! If I had the bucks for a high dollar DD/winter car, there'd be an AWD SLR sitting in my driveway. Not made in Japan.

Ted

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For what it is worth, here is a copy of the letter I sent in to the Editors of C&D yesterday. It speaks for itself.

Subject:: The Ultimate Track test

Dear Editors:

The front cover of your August, 2008 C&D says: "AMERICA VS. THE WORLD". Then it says: "THE ULTIMATE TRACK TEST". The Viper clearly dominated the following tests: braking, roadholding, lane change, five out of the eight acceleration tests, and lap time by more than four seconds per lap over the next fastest car. In a twenty lap road race, the Viper would win over the next fastest car by one minute and twenty seconds - an enormous and almost absurd victory margin. You then go on to rate the cars based on a rating system that includes factors completely irrelevant to an "ULTIMATE TRACK TEST" and rate the Viper third. Based on the factors that are, and were, relevant to an "ULTIMATE TRACK TEST" the Viper put the other cars to shame. There is such a thing as journalistic integrity - even for an automotive magazine. I think that, as individuals who purport to be honest, objective automotive journalists, you should be ashamed of yourselves. You owe your readers an apology.

Respectfully submitted,

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
For what it is worth, here is a copy of the letter I sent in to the Editors of C&D yesterday. It speaks for itself.

Subject:: The Ultimate Track test

Dear Editors:

The front cover of your August, 2008 C&D says: "AMERICA VS. THE WORLD". Then it says: "THE ULTIMATE TRACK TEST". The Viper clearly dominated the following tests: braking, roadholding, lane change, five out of the eight acceleration tests, and lap time by more than four seconds per lap over the next fastest car. In a twenty lap road race, the Viper would win over the next fastest car by one minute and twenty seconds - an enormous and almost absurd victory margin. You then go on to rate the cars based on a rating system that includes factors completely irrelevant to an "ULTIMATE TRACK TEST" and rate the Viper third. Based on the factors that are, and were, relevant to an "ULTIMATE TRACK TEST" the Viper put the other cars to shame. There is such a thing as journalistic integrity - even for an automotive magazine. I think that, as individuals who purport to be honest, objective automotive journalists, you should be ashamed of yourselves. You owe your readers an apology.

Respectfully submitted,

Not sure about the repectfully, but the rest sounds great!

Ted

Fast1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How is it that the two *** cars at the top of the list for the fastest 'Ring times are unofficial, taken by a bystander with a stopwatch? By the way guys, I got a 5.35 on my Schwinn while my mommy counted 1 mississippi, 2 mississippi......
Can you add me to the list too!!!!!!!!