Car starting super hard

ohiodoc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok my 95 r/t is starting super hard. So hard it make car feel like the battery is dead. I even got new battery and it did the same thing. After driving it for 10min, it wont crank over unless I jump start it or let car cool down for several hours. When I do jump start it, the car starts right up. What can be draning all the ampage from the battery making it not be able to start it self? Could it be a bad starter? or connection at the starter? Help!!!!

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well if the starter won't spin the engine easily with the new battery; but will spin it easily when jump started, I'd say that you need to start looking at connections. You need to measure voltages while trying to start the car. If you even have a slight amount of corrosion or loose connection it will drop nearly the entire battery voltage across it; but only when the starter is running. Look at both positive and negative connections unique to the battery path rather than the path from the jump start connections. Since you probably cleaned the battery end, check the other end of both battery cables.

OP
OP
O

ohiodoc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wed night I am taking it to my viper tech to put on the lift and check the connections and the starter. It has to be something like that. AS times goes bye the car starts harder and harder.

kevin96rt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just had the same problem with my 96...Bought a new starter on ebay for 220.00 and she starts like a champ

OP
OP
O

ohiodoc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
was it used or a company that sells them? If it is a company that sells them do they have a website.

OP
OP
O

ohiodoc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So if the starter is bad would my amp gauge be at 15. I think it is either starter or the cable to the starter. When it is colder outside it starts easier and if car is warm it wont start at all.

kevin96rt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There were 2 different sites...$189.00 and $220.00 i got the one for 220.00 new.I checked the part number cause is says 96-02...but it is the same for 92-02