CARB legal Headers

v10viperbox

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys is there anyone who offer CARB legal headers or headers with a EO number of any type. California has gotten to the point where I had to find a EO number for my air filters. I am thinking of doing a slight port and polish job on the heads and intake as well but I cannot see how they would check that or see anything that shows porting as illegal.

I am going to put the stronger motor mounts and transmission mounts in my car and I would like to do the headers at the same time as it make the install of the mounts super easy for me. Kill tow birds and all.

This is for a 2006 Coupe.

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i thought headers are legal as long as you have the 02 sensors? with the proper cats/mufflers..

Headers are only legal from an emissions standpoint if they don't alter the factory catalytic converters, including their location. Do something other than that, and it is not legal. In California, aftermarket manufacturers have to go through an additional process of obtaining a CARB number, which I'm assuming is somewhat costly compared to the small return they might get on going through that process. No CARB number in California = no go when it comes to inspection time. If it didn't come from the OEM, it ain't legal.

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Headers are only legal from an emissions standpoint if they don't alter the factory catalytic converters, including their location. Do something other than that, and it is not legal. In California, aftermarket manufacturers have to go through an additional process of obtaining a CARB number, which I'm assuming is somewhat costly compared to the small return they might get on going through that process. No CARB number in California = no go when it comes to inspection time. If it didn't come from the OEM, it ain't legal.

I'm in Cali and I smogged my 2000 RT/10 with Balenger headers, catbacks & Randomtech hi-flow cats and passed both the sniff and visual tests. As long as you pass the sniff test I'm sure you're good, they had no idea of what they were looking at for the visual part.

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm in Cali and I smogged my 2000 RT/10 with Balenger headers, catbacks & Randomtech hi-flow cats and passed both the sniff and visual tests. As long as you pass the sniff test I'm sure you're good, they had no idea of what they were looking at for the visual part.

Yes, if someone doesn't know what they are looking at or looking for, especially on a low production number car, I can believe it. By the letter of the law, though, it isn't legal without a CARB number. I'm sure there are also places that will accept additional fees to look the other way.

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys is there anyone who offer CARB legal headers or headers with a EO number of any type. California has gotten to the point where I had to find a EO number for my air filters. I am thinking of doing a slight port and polish job on the heads and intake as well but I cannot see how they would check that or see anything that shows porting as illegal.

I am going to put the stronger motor mounts and transmission mounts in my car and I would like to do the headers at the same time as it make the install of the mounts super easy for me. Kill tow birds and all.

This is for a 2006 Coupe.

I don't think there are any CARB stamped headers for a Gen III, ditto Gen IV. Edlebrock does/did make ones for the Gen I and II's

You need to find another smog shop that just cares about the sniff test, ask around.

OP
OP
V

v10viperbox

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know I can pass the sniff test, headers rarely even move the numbers but in San Diego we have the enhanced smog testing centers and cops who have taken extensive CARB classes who pull over modified cars and inspect for EO numbers as basic protocol.

If there are no legal headers I might just have my stock exhaust extrude honed and coated along with the intake.

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hadn't heard about cops doing roadside inspections. Here in OC it seems like the CHP has done extensive training on cell phone and texting detection.

Raven2k8

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I know I can pass the sniff test, headers rarely even move the numbers but in San Diego we have the enhanced smog testing centers and cops who have taken extensive CARB classes who pull over modified cars and inspect for EO numbers as basic protocol.

If there are no legal headers I might just have my stock exhaust extrude honed and coated along with the intake.

You will pass with no problem and I guarantee you will never have a cop pull you over and inspect your car. Their "classes" aren't that extensive...trust me. On the rare chance that you run into a CHP roadside smog check, it will be a sniffer test and they will not say anything about our headers.

OP
OP
V

v10viperbox

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You will pass with no problem and I guarantee you will never have a cop pull you over and inspect your car. Their "classes" aren't that extensive...trust me. On the rare chance that you run into a CHP roadside smog check, it will be a sniffer test and they will not say anything about our headers.

I have been pulled over for inspection in one of my other cars leaving an autocross before. They definitely knew what they were talking about, most of it was looking for; lets be charitable and call it import, style stuff. Intake's, camshaft gears, swap's.

I imagine though I could get a set and wrap them and unless they wanted to pull my entire car apart they could never tell if they were modified. I am not modifying the cats in an way shape or form just want to get a bit more heat out of the car for hot days.

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been pulled over for inspection in one of my other cars leaving an autocross before. They definitely knew what they were talking about, most of it was looking for; lets be charitable and call it import, style stuff. Intake's, camshaft gears, swap's.

I imagine though I could get a set and wrap them and unless they wanted to pull my entire car apart they could never tell if they were modified. I am not modifying the cats in an way shape or form just want to get a bit more heat out of the car for hot days.
Without EO, you will not pass the visual, went with this with another vehicle, my headers were CA legal but had no stamped number, just a sticker, had to get a note from the manuf saying they did not put a stamp. It is all good now though. If you do not have the EO sticker matching your vehicle or stamp on the headers, you should not pass, if you do, the smog station is not following the CARB idiocy. Air intakes without EO are illegal as well, you can change the filter but not the air box.

I seriously doubt that any of the smog technicians will be ripping in your side sills to check cats, they would be responsible for any damage.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I understand California is working on a new, less expensive, smog check.

Testing stations will no longer need to dyno the cars and use sniffers. They will simply plug into the DRB port with a reader. If all the smog equipment show up as installed and working, you will pass smog.

If you are throwing a code, you will not pass.

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The writing is on the wall when it comes to smog and aftermarket parts. In past years there was kind of a gray area, but now they have cracked down really ******* the smog stations and the technicians are much less likely to look the other way. They could go to jail. California is the worst as is has taken the high road on "green" compared to all the other states. It has always seemed absurd to me that a car with a combination of performance parts that runs clean and passes tailpipe emissions should be illegal.

In many states they have no visual inspection, the car just needs to pass tailpipe emissions. Technically many cars that have headers or modifications should fail, they just do not look. In California it is much more rigorous. Vehicles must pass a visual inspection, tailpipe inspection and a computer readiness test.

To be clear, there are no legal headers for Vipers 2003-2010, period. Also, by law any car after 1996, you cannot replace the catalytic converters unless they fail, and then they must be replaced with an OBD approved catalyst. For headers to pass they must be considered a direct replacement that does not alter the location of the stock cats. From for 1992-2002 many Viper headers were approved, as the cats were not moved from the stock location. This cant happen on a later Viper as there is no room to fit the headers and keep both cats. We got lucky on the Ram SRT as Bassani was able to make headers like "a basket of snakes" with long tubes that bundled up under the hood and hooked up to the stock cats. In California only 3 headers were ever CARB certified for the Gen 1-2 Viper. Edelbrock, ****** and Borla. None of these are made anymore and are getting harder to find.

I deal with emissions failures all the time and they keep tightening up the standards. Many folks add headers and aftermarket cats and then they pass the smog the first time around. Most technicians don’t know what type of exhaust the Viper came with, the cats are hidden and many times the headers have heat shields, so you don’t see the stuff. The second time the car needs to be smogged and the cats have deteriorated some plus the standards have tightened up, so they fail.

Nowadays you need to be more careful, many folks end of having a big expense to get the car legal. The car has less value when you sell it as you cant smog it.

I must admit I have seen a few 900hp Vipers get through emissions here in California. Modified internally engines technically need a CARB exemption but you cannot see inside the engine. Build a good motor, add a CARB legal Paxton Supercharger and CARB headers (Gen 2) and you have a real monster that will get through smog and be easy to sell.

Hope this helps.

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you forgot to add this is for 2000 and younger cars only, effective this coming January.
I understand California is working on a new, less expensive, smog check.

Testing stations will no longer need to dyno the cars and use sniffers. They will simply plug into the DRB port with a reader. If all the smog equipment show up as installed and working, you will pass smog.

If you are throwing a code, you will not pass.

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just to add, for first five years, cars do not have to pass the emissions tests unless you sell the car. You can put whatever you like for the first five years but you better make sure you can at least create an illusion of OEM set up afterwards. The smog technicians tend to be of limited intelligence, unless something is out whack visibly, one that can catch on is an exception.
The writing is on the wall when it comes to smog and aftermarket parts. In past years there was kind of a gray area, but now they have cracked down really ******* the smog stations and the technicians are much less likely to look the other way. They could go to jail. California is the worst as is has taken the high road on "green" compared to all the other states. It has always seemed absurd to me that a car with a combination of performance parts that runs clean and passes tailpipe emissions should be illegal.

In many states they have no visual inspection, the car just needs to pass tailpipe emissions. Technically many cars that have headers or modifications should fail, they just do not look. In California it is much more rigorous. Vehicles must pass a visual inspection, tailpipe inspection and a computer readiness test.

To be clear, there are no legal headers for Vipers 2003-2010, period. Also, by law any car after 1996, you cannot replace the catalytic converters unless they fail, and then they must be replaced with an OBD approved catalyst. For headers to pass they must be considered a direct replacement that does not alter the location of the stock cats. From for 1992-2002 many Viper headers were approved, as the cats were not moved from the stock location. This cant happen on a later Viper as there is no room to fit the headers and keep both cats. We got lucky on the Ram SRT as Bassani was able to make headers like "a basket of snakes" with long tubes that bundled up under the hood and hooked up to the stock cats. In California only 3 headers were ever CARB certified for the Gen 1-2 Viper. Edelbrock, ****** and Borla. None of these are made anymore and are getting harder to find.

I deal with emissions failures all the time and they keep tightening up the standards. Many folks add headers and aftermarket cats and then they pass the smog the first time around. Most technicians don’t know what type of exhaust the Viper came with, the cats are hidden and many times the headers have heat shields, so you don’t see the stuff. The second time the car needs to be smogged and the cats have deteriorated some plus the standards have tightened up, so they fail.

Nowadays you need to be more careful, many folks end of having a big expense to get the car legal. The car has less value when you sell it as you cant smog it.

I must admit I have seen a few 900hp Vipers get through emissions here in California. Modified internally engines technically need a CARB exemption but you cannot see inside the engine. Build a good motor, add a CARB legal Paxton Supercharger and CARB headers (Gen 2) and you have a real monster that will get through smog and be easy to sell.

Hope this helps.

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Not good advice.

You need a CARB number if you do not want problems with smog or resale. Otherwise, you are operating on a wing and a prayer.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456