Carbon Fiber HardTop

scottgf

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hello all,
Just wondering if anyone makes a Carbon Fiber hard top for a Gen I or II RT/10?
And if no one does make one, who would be interested in buying one if they where avialable.
I know a place that MAY be willing to produce one.
Also they may try to figure out how to make a Carbon Fiber Hard top able to fit in the trunk.
Just wondering what the interest in these would be.....
Also I would only be guessing on pricing at this point so what would you all think would be a decent price?
Cheers,

RSNAKE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would be very interested in one that would either fit in the trunk or be trick and double as a spoiler on the trunk. What I would be willing to pay would depend on the quality and looks. If it looked good, was easy to use, durable, light, fit in the trunk with room to spare, and sealed better than the factory hard top, especially for rattles, I would pay $2,500+.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Scott,

I have been toying arround with a design for a carbon fiber hard top that would fold into the trunk for a while, but there are some issues with it that I believe would be a problem for many owners.

The biggest problem I have is that it would have to be made out of several pieces, almost be like a targo type roof setup with a removable frame.

I cant see too many people being interested in something like that, me being one of them.

If you have a better idea I am all ears.

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Northwind Engineering Top is Carbon Fiber. Just go to: www.viperclub.org/Northwind/

I talked to several of the Viper Top makers. They have tried to make a "foladable" hard top. One of them even bought the smallest top (a competitors) available (The Aluminum TGF, which is no longer made), and sawed it up into pieces. They would not fit inthe trunk. No piece can be any longer or wider that the folded soft. This meant the pieces not only needed to be very narrow, but also "fold in the middle". It would have looked like one of those puzzles that you slide the little squares around until they make a picture.... He gave up when the "fold in the middle" requirement became an "obvious" requirement.

OP
OP
S

scottgf

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses so far....keep em coming!!!
The place that may be interested in producing the top has built Indy (CART) cars from the ground up, so I would think if anyone could do it, they could, but it may be impossible or at least impractical to do.

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
scottgf,
I like your avatar. Classic photo.
I think a window shade top of some sort would be cool. Just slide it out, attach to front points. Could be bolted on where sports pad is.

italian1nj

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey Scott, I was talking to Biff at Vipermania today and within the next 2 weeks or so he is going to have a roof for us that matches the side windows. You should check it out it is bitchin'. He has photos of it on his web site. Good luck with your search. Vince

Vip-RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a design in mind that collapses in 3 sections with the correct seals and locks to hold it in place. The front and rear locks have to be from the V-mania one.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbone96