Carbon Fiber work - 10% off to members here

IMPULS!

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Greetings-

My name is Rich Fussell. I am new here. I do carbon fiber work which I believe is superior to that which makes its way to us from overseas. Anywhere overseas. Please visit my website for a sample of the work I have done. My talents are varied but my website displays only pictures of the carbon work I will be concentrating on here. I do custom overlays of existing pieces. It is a very practical way to get the true carbon fiber look. Yes it adds weight, but really now, you guys are driving VIPERS! Not exactly a car affected by adding a few ounces here and there.

I did the work for the MOMO Lamborghini Gallardo limited edition of which there were 12. After seeing the work Lamborghini is doing now I still believe my solution is superior and will last and look better longer. I included a picture of some of the Gallardo pieces as I work on them.

At any rate, I am open to requests but wish to limit my offerings to the skills mentioned as developing molds for new parts is quite expensive unless there is a substantial number of parts needed.

My intention is to provide a superior product that lasts, at a reasonable and fair price. Although I am a new face here it is my hope and goal to be regarded as a dependable and reputable supplier to this club membership. Prices I have not set yet as I am not familiar enough with the various pieces to shoot out a price. As a guide, there are about 14 pieces done for the interior of the Gallardo. I would charge about $5,000.00 for the set.

I intend to provide a 10% discount to club members which once I have created a price list, to be posted on my website where the Viper will, I predict hold a prominent place.

The phone number on my website (908 216 5135) is my cell phone. I live in Cranford NJ. I split my work time between my home and a shop in Nyack NY.

Also I have a fair amount of experience with carbon fiber, painting plastics and such, and might be able to answer your questions.

Attachments

• IMG_0009a.jpg
    IMG_0009a.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 257

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are these the molded vinyl sheets or an actual layer of carbon fiber that is saturated with acrylic and hardened?

OP
OP
I

IMPULS!

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will be providing parts for Vipers wrapped in real carbon fiber in exactly the same fashion as I did for the MOMO cars. It is real, not fake, not a print. I use high temperature epoxy tooling resin (good to 300 deg F) as a binder and build up successive coats until the desired thickness is achieved. This is done with a paintbrush as epoxy cannot be sprayed very easily. Also it must be done in thin coats as epoxy will pool and settle. It has no cling and does not drape well at all. Flatting is done sometimes between coats to maintain consistent flatness. I use Imron as a top coat which also has a high temp resistance to 280 deg F. The stuff from overseas is polyester whose beauty is temporary IMHO. Polyester also does not bind to carbon fiber at the molecular level. Epoxy does. Epoxy properly 'wets' carbon fibers. I also temper the parts at an elevated temperature probably in excess of what they would encounter in service.

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The lambo pieces on your website look fantastic! What kind of parts do you plan on offering for vipers?

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's good stuff to offer for interior parts Rich. It sounds like you are describing a wet lay process? (which is more of a cosmetic finished part, for the look as you said which doesn't have the structural integrity of a compression molded part), and on your site it mentions vacuum bagging, an autoclave, that should be a good point to make for those interested, which is good.

I work at a carbon fibre / composite manufacturer (supplying OEMs / race teams, etc.), supplying body, engine components etc. for race cars, race boats, etc. These are structural carbon fibre parts, molded under compression in an autoclave. There are many types of resins, depending on the application, molding temperatures, as well as many types of carbon fibre webbing, densities, uni directional, etc. which are strategically applied in various thickness and direction. This is just to share any knowledge regarding carbon fibre, and to avoid any misleading marketing by those out there who sell carbon fibre appearing parts, when they are selling a wet lay process part which lacks the structural strength (i.e. needed for wings, body panels, fascias, brackets, suspension parts, steering wheels, etc.). Here's a link of an autoclave, in our facility.

http://www.multimatic.com/engineering/composites02.shtml

It's good to read that you're describing what you sell, sounds like a good deal for those who may be interested.

Good luck with the business, and welcome to the VCA, there's a pile of good members here, one of the best sites I've hung around. :2tu:

Here's an overview of what type of work is competed at our facility.. If you ever need large product support, shoot me a PM.

http://www.multimatic.com/pdf/multimatic_composites.pdf

Last edited:
OP
OP
I

IMPULS!

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The lambo pieces on your website look fantastic! What kind of parts do you plan on offering for vipers?

I can cover just about any plastic part like dash trim, door panel, etc. It is quite up to you to decide which parts in your car you would like to be in CF.

OP
OP
I

IMPULS!

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's good stuff to offer for interior parts Rich. It sounds like you are describing a wet lay process? (which is more of a cosmetic finished part, for the look as you said which doesn't have the structural integrity of a compression molded part), and on your site it mentions vacuum bagging, an autoclave, that should be a good point to make for those interested, which is good.

I work at a carbon fibre / composite manufacturer (supplying OEMs / race teams, etc.), supplying body, engine components etc. for race cars, race boats, etc. These are structural carbon fibre parts, molded under compression in an autoclave. There are many types of resins, depending on the application, molding temperatures, as well as many types of carbon fibre webbing, densities, uni directional, etc. which are strategically applied in various thickness and direction. This is just to share any knowledge regarding carbon fibre, and to avoid any misleading marketing by those out there who sell carbon fibre appearing parts, when they are selling a wet lay process part which lacks the structural strength (i.e. needed for wings, body panels, fascias, brackets, suspension parts, steering wheels, etc.). Here's a link of an autoclave, in our facility.

http://www.multimatic.com/engineering/composites02.shtml

It's good to read that you're describing what you sell, sounds like a good deal for those who may be interested.

Good luck with the business, and welcome to the VCA, there's a pile of good members here, one of the best sites I've hung around. :2tu:

Here's an overview of what type of work is competed at our facility.. If you ever need large product support, shoot me a PM.

http://www.multimatic.com/pdf/multimatic_composites.pdf

WOW is an understatement. You guys are carbon fiber kings. Beautiful stuff and nice autoclave. Makes my old 12X24" seem rather impotent. I never got alot of experience working with prepregs as we were always pulled in the overlay direction. Even now, Lamborghini offers parts using that method. Interior, non-structural stuff of course. If you have ever seen their molded structural parts after a few years of service I think you would be surprised how badly they hold up.
As I said before I just use a tooling resin I mix in small amounts. Usually used for molds it has characteristics I desire. Temperature resistance is adequate, strength is good but most important is clarity. It doesn't weather well(unprotected) which is why I use Imron clear coat. Then I wet sand and polish. I like this way because compressing the fibers seems to diminish the reflective qualities I like so much.
When I edit my website, soon, I will remove the reference to the autoclave as I left it in Anaheim when I moved back to New Jersey.
yeah if anyintersting projects pop up I will cll you guys. Your parts look fabulous!
Thanks

OP
OP
I

IMPULS!

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

The above photo is of a fake carbon fiber print and is used only to show the parts in question!

Funny that no one has responded yet. Perhaps the lack of a picture is stopping many of you from acting. I, too, would like to see a Viper with a quality carbon fiber dash installed. So I am going to sweeten the deal here a bit. The price for the 03-06 Viper 2 piece set, console and radio will be $900.00 retail. Club members here would get a discount of 10%. But to get that first picture I am willing to do the first one for half of retail. $450.00. To the first one to call me and make arrangements goes this discount. A condition would be to supply me with some high quality, hi-res shots of it installed. These pieces are done on an exchange basis so if you are interested, you must send me YOUR parts to be done. Presently I am offering the carbon fiber in black twill. I do have some red and black, which is regular black and Kevlar dyed to look red, or I can use texillium (the aluminum plated fiberglass everyone calls chrome carbon fiber.
This is real carbon fiber and will add 3-4 ounces of power-robbing weight to your ride. But it will feel and look faster I promise.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do I understand your post correctly... an overlayed, 2-piece carbon fiber console piece is normally $900.:omg: And you are going to blow it out for $450. And we exchange parts also....? OOOOOOKKKKKKKK..........

OP
OP
I

IMPULS!

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$900.00 is quite reasonable for the work that I do. I am very good, much better than most. My skills found favor with Lamborghini and Brabus. I reiterate. I use epoxy, not polyester. My methods result in a beautiful generation lasting enhancement and is quite labor intensive to produce. If your Viper is a temporary toy that you will be getting rid of one day in the future, then what I offer is not for you. The half price offer is to the first taker only as I just need a picture of my work. And yes, since I do not have the parts in stock, I will need donor parts. If this venture has legs then I will invest in the trim parts that move, so I have a stock to ship out right away. But they are expensive and will need to be exchanged.

murci

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do u have a pic of the texillium? I might be the first taker, depending on the pics. TIA.

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can You Repair Carbon Fiber Parts???? I have several Panels that need repaired. Stress Cracks, Fractures. Also do you know anyone that can paint the carbon or soda blast the panels that are painted & then just clear the CF????

OP
OP
I

IMPULS!

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OP
OP
I

IMPULS!

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can You Repair Carbon Fiber Parts???? I have several Panels that need repaired. Stress Cracks, Fractures. Also do you know anyone that can paint the carbon or soda blast the panels that are painted & then just clear the CF????

Yes I can do repairs whether structural or decorative or both. I can add carbon reinforcements to the back of the area that is under most stress. Do that for some Porsche guys.

OP
OP
I

IMPULS!

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How much thickness will this add to the trim piece?

for the decorative trim parts, that are done for cosmetics, about 30/1000's. That is because the fiber is not bagged, vacuumed or in any way flattenned. For repairs, it varies depending on severity, and how much reinforcement I place to help avoid recurring cracking problems. Some repairs have barely measurable thickness added while others may be built up to whatever thickness is needed.

Last edited:

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After it's been covered with CF can I still drill holes to mount switches, etc? Or should the holes be drilled first?

OP
OP
I

IMPULS!

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After it's been covered with CF can I still drill holes to mount switches, etc? Or should the holes be drilled first?

It is a very hard finish, but will not chip easily. Yes it can be drilled afterwards and as long as you use sharp drill bits, should not chip or flake.

OP
OP
I

IMPULS!

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The deal is done. A gentleman from Long Island NY took advantage of my generous offer and I am shipping his set today. I think he will be very happy.

OP
OP
I

IMPULS!

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't have an installed pic yet, but will as soon as he installs it.

Attachments

• viper-II-006a.jpg
    viper-II-006a.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 146

HISSNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ImpulseCarbon Fiber console arrived yesterday. OMG, it looks fantastic, great work Rich. This quick image doesn't do it justice. Once installed, I'll post an updated image. Besides his quality work, Rich was a pleasure to work with as he promptly returned calls and emails throughout the process. Can't wait to have it in view while driving!

DSC_0427VCA.JPG

Last edited:

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually it's 6 and 7. They are one piece. It looks like this

532center_console.JPG

It can't be exchanged because mine has been modified. I will be replacing the gauges with a boost controller but the window switch will be very similar.

steponz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any way you can do the outside door sill triangle piece??

I plan on getting a 2008 carbon fiber hood and would like it to match...

Do you only do small pieces?

joe

HISSNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I finally was able to have the handy work of Rich at ImpulseCarbon console parts installed. They look mahvelous! Once again, my hat is off to Tator's and in this case, Rob for his patience and installation skills. Nice work Rob! Let me know what you all think? Needless to say, I’m thrilled and it drives faster now too!

PS FYI, that’s an MGW 6 speed pattern Gripper Ball Shorty on a HURST STS. I'm having way too much fun!

Viper_Carbon_Fiber_Console.JPG

Viper_Carbon_Fiber_Console_2.JPG

Vypr Phil

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now this is the way real carbon fiber is supposed to look! :2tu:

Hissnake, thanks for posting the pictures.

Congratulations to "Impuls" for a job well done and to Rob for a beautiful installation.

Phil

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shibbydude