Carfax creampuff has seen a lot of auctions..bad?

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've only been to a few auctions. Potential buyers are revving the crap out of engine out in the lot before the cars go on auction..general mayhem it seems. Kind of gives me shivers to think of buying one that's been through 2 auctions in the last few months.

Could be just the way some dealers off their slow moving cars.

Is a car bouncing through 2 auctions, in 2 mos (in the same state) a red flag one way or the other?

It originally was a lease vehicle, then a 'fleet vehicle' status after the first auction. Which may mean only 'dealer inventory' for all I know.

Now it's in an adjacent state. Seems to be hard to keep sold..

RedOne

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Usually when they bounce around like that there is exstensive paint work or othet issues that show... Since most dealers only have a 60 - 90 day floor plan, they have to turn their inventory within that time.

Just about every Viper (Gen II's) I have seen at auction has had some kind of paint work and I have/had been activelly looking for one over the past 3 months for myself.

On the other hand, I have also seen some GREAT deals on these cars.....

BradH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been thinking about getting mine at auction and have similar concerns. (I live in PA and have reasonably easy access to the Manheim auctions.)

I'd be curious to hear from anyone who has bought their car at auction. E.g. How much they saved, how well they were able to check it out beforehand, how happy they were in the end, etc.

On average I think cars for sale privately have probably been cared for much better than the cars that circulate at a public auto auction. I'd have to save a fair amount to make the added risk worthwhile.

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I don't know which auctions you guys go to but the special interest car/motorcycle auctions I've attended resulted in no bargains. I've been to many public auctions and can't recall any killer deals on a classic/special interest car. Are you guys going to "dealer auctions"? There are killer deals on ebay frequently as long as you know how to find them and do your due diligence. For example a high mileage 2001 Viper just sold for $33k so the bargains are there.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been in the auto business for almost 6 years and every auction car we seemed to get was a wrecked piece of crap. Granted, none were on the level of Vipers, but many were Lexus', Mercedes Benz, etc. but they were still garbage. Most were bought from FL auctions if that matters to anyone

RedOne

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It all depends on the auction you attend... First, there are no deals at public auctions other than maybe a ****** for the kid to drive...

Secondly, there are many dealer auctions known for the crap, and you certainly can end up with just that if you arn't careful.

Thirdly, A good paint guage can within seconds identify any paintwork regardless of how nice or a job the painter may have done. The only paintwork I can accept is a bumper cover.

As I said earlier, just about every Viper I have seen at auction has had paint work, unfortunatly the majority of those invloved more than just the bumper.

Remember... Carfax is not a guarantee that your pride and joy has not been wrecked... Carfax only reports what has been reported to them... If the prior owner paid cash to have his rear quarter repaired after swapping ends and hitting a tree, that will NOT show up on Carfax.

Finally, The larger Manheim sales such as FAAO, WPB, PA and Atlanta (to name a few) have their monthly high end/exotic sale where there are many quality vehicles to be found from multiple souces (trade ins, lease turn in, fleet, factory, etc...) It's all in the timing....

RedOne

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's one. It's a 2000 rt/10 With 10k Miles... It runs through the 7/27 sale... Any guesses at what it will sell for? It is reported as a no prior paint vehicle and in excellent original condition.

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Midwest Muscle

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I will usually pass on a car that saw multiple auctions. If the other dealers can't manage to retail it for a profit, what makes me think I'll be able to?

I buy one-owner certified cars at the dealer auctions. About four weeks ago, I bought an "As Is" '04 Eclipse that looked to be a steal. About ten miles later, the not-so-subtle sound of internal engine damage.

Mike M

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The idiot piece of crap owner I used to work for went to an auction one time and bought a 3000 GT twin turbo and a 95 Corvette. Got them in the shop and discovered both had internal engine damage and both needed new engines. I wish I could say I felt sorry for him, but I'm just sadder he didnt try to drive one back and have it blow up on him. Nothing personal, I just dont like the guy and hope he rots in hell. Whewww it feels good to vent sometimes :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala