Carpool for Vipers

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seems to me that Vipers should be allowed in the Carpool Lanes and Prius/Hybrids should use the more congested normal lanes.

Vipers get their best mileage at steady cruise, and worst in stop and go.
Hybrids get their best mileage in stop and go, and worst in steady cruising.

Only makes sense to put cars where they get the best mileage/lowest carbon footprint.:drive:

Always give thanks for the Prius owners that balance out the gas guzzlers.

HyperViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed Paul. Problem is, I usually downshift a gear and gas it when I go by a Prius, which results in me using more gas :D

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We paid a gas tax and if you bought in the 90s you paid a luxury tax too. For that reason we should be able to drive in any lane we want.

snakestress

Enthusiast
Reaction score
^^I agree. One time we had a bicyclist get pissed at us for driving too close to him while he was riding on the road and not in his bike lane. Almost wanted to tell him that until he pays registration (especially as much as we do!)- shut the hell up!

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Society's opinion of roads is getting to be that roads are to be shared and used for any mode of travel or transportation. Which contributes to the increase in pedestrian fataliities. In my neighborhood we have sidewalks lining both sides of the road but the dumbazz joggers and walkers still do their thing in the street. Even mothers pushing strollers in the street. Aside from the stupidity of pedestrians using the streets it is also incosidertate to motorists who have to brake or swerve to miss them. We're already putzing along the neighborhood at 25mph, my speedo doesn't go much lower than that.

Gus Strakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seems to me that Vipers should be allowed in the Carpool Lanes and Prius/Hybrids should use the more congested normal lanes.

Vipers get their best mileage at steady cruise, and worst in stop and go.
Hybrids get their best mileage in stop and go, and worst in steady cruising.

Only makes sense to put cars where they get the best mileage/lowest carbon footprint.:drive:

Always give thanks for the Prius owners that balance out the gas guzzlers.

Paul, when referring to government regulations, you have made the huge mistake of introducing logic and common sense into your analysis. :nono:

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Society's opinion of roads is getting to be that roads are to be shared and used for any mode of travel or transportation. Which contributes to the increase in pedestrian fataliities. In my neighborhood we have sidewalks lining both sides of the road but the dumbazz joggers and walkers still do their thing in the street. Even mothers pushing strollers in the street. Aside from the stupidity of pedestrians using the streets it is also incosidertate to motorists who have to brake or swerve to miss them. We're already putzing along the neighborhood at 25mph, my speedo doesn't go much lower than that.

For many years I've said pedestrians should have the right away when and only when:

1. They pay insurance on their legs
2. They drink gasoline
3. They have a license plate on their butt

I can't count how many times I've had idiots walk out in front of me just because they're on foot. They obviously don't know Gen 1 brakes aren't the best in the world :D

Slithr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You might want to check your local laws, a lot of people assume High Occupancy Vehicle lanes are for a minimum of (2) passengers. Recently, I found out in Houston that the HOV lane can be used by any vehicle with 50% or greater occupancy, my 1 a$$ in a 2 seat car qualifies :D (this is also why motorcycles are allowed).

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's great to see that my message is beginning to sink in out there. Thanks Chuck!:2tu:

Yeah Deano, you need to start designing these roads so joggers can jog, walkers can walk and mothers can push their baby strollers safely as a 3000lb machine drives within 2 feet of them at 25mph.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think they should just get rid of the HOV designation for those lanes as they do absolutely no good whatsoever for moving traffic or helping the environment. The little that car pooling does to help the environment gets lost in the stop and go traffic of all the others sitting in the right hand lanes, putzing along. Is that really being carbon smart as an American Nation? No, it is just political BS.

You want to encourage people to drive a more fuel efficient car, just offer them a tax credit for purchasing like GM is trying to do on the Volt. You want to get people off the roads and using public transportation then run your light rails all over so it is not an inconvience to get to where ever you want.

Personally, it is just more pussification in America these days. Should have never frowned upon "spanking". Should make ever school kid watch "Patton" once a week in school. Grow a pair! I am all for being smart about the environment and trying to clean it up as best we can, butsome of these tree hugger ideas are just a complete waste of time. As such is HOV.

There are much better ways to encourage environmental health awareness, than just a nonsensical HOV lane. The solution is to just get rid of the damn things all together, but I like Paul's idea as well.

Slithr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Amen Coloviper!!

I never use the HOV lane even though the Viper qualifies here. I tend to make just as good of speed on the main lanes, when I'm in the HOV lane there always seems to be a car/bus stalled...... or a Prius enforcing the 50 mph. speed limit :crazy2:

All lanes should be available to all :drive:

1994viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You might want to check your local laws, a lot of people assume High Occupancy Vehicle lanes are for a minimum of (2) passengers. Recently, I found out in Houston that the HOV lane can be used by any vehicle with 50% or greater occupancy, my 1 a$$ in a 2 seat car qualifies :D (this is also why motorcycles are allowed).

Interesting. Most cars are 5 sitters. Would that mean that you have to have 3 people instead of 2 to be in a HOV lane? I better check our local laws.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang