Cars fall into sinkhole at National Corvette Museum

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Damn. Love them or hate them its a shame to lose that history. I never saw a ZR-1 Spyder but since it was probably a one-off GM design study, nobody will ever see one again.....

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saw this story a bit ago on the Motor Trend mobile app. I feel bad for those who had their cars on load to the museum.....who would have ever thought the cars would fall into a sinkhole.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the old days we used to have vacuum advance issues but this event is a whole different level. It is sad to see the destruction.

RT/ED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is a VERY unfortunate event! However, I could not pass up the opportunity to take a dig at my brother who owns a Corvette.....all in brotherly love. I told him they just learned that the sink hole was the result of a Viper Den that was discovered beneath the museum. Still waiting for a response.....

shine

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What I posted on another forum (Native Kentuckian living in Lexington, about an hour or so east of the Corvette Museum)

Kentucky is full of caves, even rumored that the Mammoth Cave system in western Kentucky (where this happened) is connected to the Carter Cave system in the eastern side.

I know for a fact that the Beaumont area pf Lexington where I live has a lot going on underground. I fully expect that my house will fall into a sinkhole at some point, as we found a natural spring underneath it when digging the second sump pit (needed because, surprise surprise, the first sump pump was running constantly from all the water).

The water action from the winter weather I'm sure contributed to this. Freezing and thawing don't just cause potholes in asphalt -- if there's cracks in the subterranean pockets that freeze, it'll loosen the ground quickly.

OP
OP
G

G-ManGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I saw this story a bit ago on the Motor Trend mobile app. I feel bad for those who had their cars on load to the museum.....who would have ever thought the cars would fall into a sinkhole.

Apperently the 8 cars that fell in all belonged to the museum. None were loaners.

I volunteer at Simeone Automotive Museum here in Philly where we have an awsome collection of racing sports cars, and though most belong to the museum, we do have a handfull of loaners one of which is a 1962 Ferrari 250 GTO that is estimated at $35mil. Imagine if something like that fell in.

OP
OP
G

G-ManGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Lol...that's cold Denis!

Btw, i got your voicemail. All is well here. Just been super busy the past couple of days scrambling trying to get out of dodge before the storm hits. We have a 7am flight to the keys in the morning. Fingers crossed.

denniskgb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lol...that's cold Denis!

Btw, i got your voicemail. All is well here. Just been super busy the past couple of days scrambling trying to get out of dodge before the storm hits. We have a 7am flight to the keys in the morning. Fingers crossed.

Good can not wait for better weather.:drive:

ACRSNK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like Vettes or not, this is terrible. At least no one was hurt. Cars are just metal. I wonder if they will be able to salvage the cars in any way.

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looking at the foundations of the museum, I am amazed there was not some kind of strengthening steel mesh spanning across the entire floor?

Are their any updates in the progression to getting the cars out?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ar Tee Ten