CAT delete, will they do more than set the SES light?

'Trust'

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm considering deleting the CATS on the car, and on my other cars the code set off by the rear o2's doesn't do anything other than set the SES light, no performance damage, no crazy fuel dumping etc. I was wondering if it was the same with this car? I'll order sim's but they won't be here until next week so I was curious if it will just set the light, or if it does change fuel/timing tables in the PCM. Sorry if it's a repost, I searched and only found 1 reference that eluded to it not doing anything other than set the light, but nothing finite. Thanks!

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
TRUST me.......NO ONE can accurately answer this question without ANY car data.....And this is perhaps the most asked and SEARCHABLE topic on this site. Short answer- YES.

GOOD LUCK WITH THE SEARCH KEY !!. THE YEAR MATTERS.... Can the SIMS vendor help you? We certainly will !

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Won't make your car start dumping fuel or anything. Depends on the year whether it will set a CEL or not. If you have a 2000 to 2002 it will set a CEL and you just have to remove the rear o2 sensors from their **** and plug the bungs. Keep them connected and no CEL.

OP
OP
T

'Trust'

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's a 97 GTS if that helps. I searched 'CATS SES', 'CAT removal' etc. and nothing definitive. If it doesn't pull timing or mess with the fuel trims, I'm not to worried about it, but if it is going to run horrible, I'll wait until the sims come in. Thanks in advance!

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Non foulers can be bought from your local autozone, advance auto or pepboys. They can be found in the "Help" section. That is what I used to plug the bungs in my 01, anti foulers and brass caps.

Craig

Enthusiast
Reaction score
98 GTS, no cats. Car kept throwing the CEL every hundred miles or so. Rear o2s are still installed in bungs. I purchased the roe racing o2 simms and turned off the light. Haven't seen it since (4-5k miles)