Catastrophic U-joint failure!

Asp Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Averted. While doing a bolt check prior to this weekends' auto-x, I found that the one of the straps on the left outer u-joint was loose enough to rattle by hand. Both of the bolts had backed out a couple of turns, :dunno:not sure how long it had been like this, there were no indications while driving, noise or vibration, nothing.
Cleaned the threads well, put some loc-tite on and checked every other suspension nut and bolt I could see, but found nothing else.
I had thought of not even bothering to have the rear wheels off, but had noticed a bit of grease had seeped around a couple of the ball joint boots and wanted to clean that up before it got all over the inside of the rims. I guess it pays to be fussy.:D
A word to the wise, get under your car once in awhile.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Must have re-used old bolts last time. New bolts come with a thread sealant on them (you knew that, eh?)

I changed a few U-joints with my 800hp Unitrax axles and when the U-joints are completely destroyed (no bearings left) they don't shake or vibrate unless you're throttleing and over 100mph - then slight vibration.

Ted

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Must have re-used old bolts last time. New bolts come with a thread sealant on them (you knew that, eh?)

I changed a few U-joints with my 800hp Unitrax axles and when the U-joints are completely destroyed (no bearings left) they don't shake or vibrate unless you're throttleing and over 100mph - then slight vibration.

Ted

Signed,
Cliff Clavin

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A word to the wise, get under your car once in awhile.

As evident by the pics below, I use your thought above to explain the lunacy of how my 9 year old 40K mile car looks like it does. No better way to start an inspection than with a rag and some degreaser!

Seriously though, a great reminder for the DIY capable owner. Cleaning it as you go only supports your pride in ownership, not the accusation of being a garage queen. I didn't get to 40K miles on those jack stands.

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
A

Asp Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ted

Never had it apart, Ted. Though I had recently been thinking of doing all six u-joints as preventative maint. The factory bolts, or cap screws if you will, still had the factory thread lock on them, so I don't know how they got loose:dunno: I cleaned off the old with a wire brush and applied new loc-tite to them. Maybe they've been loose since new, but I think I would have noticed on a previous inspection?

OP
OP
A

Asp Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As evident by the pics below, I use your thought above to explain the lunacy of how my 9 year old 40K mile car looks like it does. No better way to start an inspection than with a rag and some degreaser!

Seriously though, a great reminder for the DIY capable owner. Cleaning it as you go only supports your pride in ownership, not the accusation of being a garage queen. I didn't get to 40K miles on those jack stands.

Great pics, Dave. And you're spot on about pride of ownership.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Haha good eye that was water that had not dried. The degreaser I use is a citrus type you follow up with a water wash and the floor fan apparently missed a few spots given it's duty to dry the floor.

You actually bothered to answer me? LOL

You're a car/garage germophobe my friend. I only WISH i could keep things half as clean.

Last edited:

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those are McGard Spline Drive and at $125 per set they are going to stay thank you. They are also 1/2# lighter than the OE nuts.

man, i'm a hick :crazy2:

i honestly thought they are used black wire nuts (with white paint) you were using to protect the threads :omg:

upon closer inspection, it looks like the flash is the white paint..... :dunno:

should i stop using e85 from HEB in the viper :dunno:

:lmao:

:drive:

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
man, i'm a hick :crazy2:

i honestly thought they are used black wire nuts (with white paint) you were using to protect the threads :omg:

upon closer inspection, it looks like the flash is the white paint..... :dunno:

should i stop using e85 from HEB in the viper :dunno:

:lmao:

:drive:

A little hint on the factory replacement straps/bolts. If you get a set that has been sitting on the shelf for a while the thread lock they use hardens and actually can lead to stripping the yoke or the head of the bolt. If it has hardened it is best to take it off with a wire wheel and apply your own.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi