Catback install - how high does car need to be lifted

jmasin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey all,

I know this is a low-tech question, but it is more an experience question...

How high does the GTS need to be lifted to easily do a catback install? Can this be done on stands?

I ask because the vette has these annoying one-piece over-the-axle pipes which require almost 3' of clearance to easily wiggle out, so not really a garage/jack-stand job.

Thanks,
Jon

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"To do it easier" you should have a proper safe lift that allows you to stand under the car and be at eye level around the side sills. Some have done it lower to the ground but not so easy on your back etc.

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What he said! If you have a stock system, it bolts in using 3 sections, 2 sides and one rear. You should have no problems removing it. I have done it on the stands, but I do wish that i had a lift.

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
go out and buy the 10 inch race ramps with removable sides and rear 10 inch stands and you will have enough room for the exhaust and even removing the transmission

OP
OP
J

jmasin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK thanks guys, so can be done on stands but easier on a lift.

There's a corvette racer within 10 minutes of me (LG Motorsports) who can help me out, I'll chat with them.

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes. Much easier when on a hoist. It is not the easiest thing to pull the pipes out from under.

When I first rear the title I thought you were thinking a lift kit for the car as the new system was going to hang lower. Lol

OP
OP
J

jmasin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I first rear the title I thought you were thinking a lift kit for the car as the new system was going to hang lower. Lol

Now that would be some funny sh**...

You must be registered for see images attach

Slithr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Catback install .... do you guys use the clamps that come with it, or is it better to have it welded together :dunno:

OP
OP
J

jmasin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm going to clamp in case I ever need/want next step with cats etc. I'd bet most use the clamps.

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Catback install .... do you guys use the clamps that come with it, or is it better to have it welded together :dunno:

Hey fellow neighbor. Where you been? The clamps that come with a new system are great. Use those as they work fine. Welding is not needed and just more work.

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah. Don't weld. When you decide you want to do the cats (you will get there, only a matter of time!!) You will be happy you did not weld them on!!

Oh, can I make a suggestion? If you already have everything ripped apart, spend the extra 30min and do the cats. I know it is also a few extra hundred for the cats, but you will be so much happier with it. You do not get the full sound effect of a performance exhaust when you still have the factory cats in. And your interior will be so much cooler.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey all,

I know this is a low-tech question, but it is more an experience question...

How high does the GTS need to be lifted to easily do a catback install? Can this be done on stands?

I ask because the vette has these annoying one-piece over-the-axle pipes which require almost 3' of clearance to easily wiggle out, so not really a garage/jack-stand job.

Thanks,
Jon

Your right about the Vettes. I have a lift and remember what a pain that back half was to get out. The Viper is a piece of cake to work on compared to the Vette in every way.

Grisoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dunno how different the GTS exhaust is from the RT/10, but I did the Corsa cat back last weekend with a low profile jack and two jack stands. Wasn't bad at all, and took 4 hours. Worse part was taking the cat clamps off. I did use the clamps that came with the kit and they are excellent quality. Go for it on your back!