Change stock radio in a Gen 1

CS14

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi guys

Does anyone know if the stock Gen 2 radio (Alpine) from the year -97 to -02 fits in an RT/10 from -96? The one I have are Chrysler’s original one with cassette but a cd would be fine to have… Everything else in the stereo are stock.

/Peter

Mad Max 93 RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi guys

Does anyone know if the stock Gen 2 radio (Alpine) from the year -97 to -02 fits in an RT/10 from -96? The one I have are Chrysler’s original one with cassette but a cd would be fine to have… Everything else in the stereo are stock.

/Peter

should work fine. Pm me if you have any problems and I'll help out as best I can. JD

carguy07

Viper Owner
Reaction score
No, a stock Gen II stereo will not plug right in to a Gen I. You can buy and adapter for your Gen I and add a CD changer that will run off of the stock Gen I stereo.

Last edited:

Username

Viper Owner
Reaction score
will not work and it's a pain in the ass to try and make it...and it's not a good unit anyway. Better off putting a modern unit in. Sony xplode works well and is cheap.

Mad Max 93 RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why wont it work?? I know the plugs aren't the same but you only need 4 wires. power, ground, ignition, and illumination. All can be found with a test light or meter? Aren't gen 2 radios run off of RCA's just like gen 1's?

Username

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Why wont it work?? I know the plugs aren't the same but you only need 4 wires. power, ground, ignition, and illumination. All can be found with a test light or meter? Aren't gen 2 radios run off of RCA's just like gen 1's?

you can make it work with an adaptor harness but why bother..the GenII unit is garbage anyway so you might aswell put an aftermarket in for the same effort.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stock Gen II radios hook up to the amp via a DIN connection. Unless you install the amp with the radio it is a PITA to try and hook up to the pin outs on the DIN connector.

You are really better off replacing the system with an aftermarket one. The only downside is you don't get the auto volume control.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajya