Changing my clutch and mounts. Need a few suggestions.

Barrels

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have an 03 33k w/bolt-ons making 480/505 at the wheels. I use it mainly for track days and have no plans for any more mods.

My clutch is releasing really high and searching the forums leads me to believe that means I need a new clutch. My shifter moves like crazy under acceleration and my searches clearly lead me to needing woodhouse motor and tranny mounts.

I am going to buy all the parts and have my local shop install it. I know what mounts to get, but I have a few questions about the rest. I have searched, but I would like some clarification:

1. I can get a LUK for $245 so I don't see the need to spend $600+ for more clutch than I need. Any suggestions for something in between?
2. Should I replace the clutch master cylinder?
3. Slave cylinder?
4. Any other parts (other than a $450 flywheel) that I should do while I'm at it?

witz323

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have an '04 with 12K miles and had to replace the clutch twice within a 3K mile period. Turned out it was the slave. I regret not doing the flywheel when i had all these parts out, so that would be my recomendation. I do not have aftermarket engine mounts, and i have no shifter movement at the track. Maybe this whill happen down the road. The OEM clutch on the viper is great, and will be totally sufficient for applications under 600hp.

DanielR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I can't answer all of your questions, but I do know to definitely replace the slave. You're already there and you will have to drop the transmission again to fix it later if you pass on it now. Mine in my 1999 GTS went after 20,000 miles.

Don't forget to replace the pilot bearing and depending on who you ask, new flywheel to crank bolts. Also a good time to upgrade the shifter if you want to. I hear the MGW from Woodhouse is very good.

Reaction score
The slave is fine unless it is leaking and the master is the same. Some of these clutches release high even if not worn so I would check it out first unless you just want a new one. You could look at the SPEC line of clutches and Bad Boyzz garage has a nice assortment for you to choose from.

OP
OP
B

Barrels

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It releases high, but it doesn't slip or give me any trouble. I thought about just replacing the fluid and living with it. However, I need to do the mounts and I figure I'd have them do the clutch just in case. Also, I am taking it to VIR in two weeks so I'd hate to have it go out there.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The Slave is either good or bad, ie leaking or not. But Miles and wear take a toll. It can be fine at 30K miles and blow at 31K. Or be fine at 45K and blow at 46K. Prevent-maint suggest that since you are in there, and the Slave is 50% expired life (heavy track use-heat) I suggest to swap it. Weak link. Master Cyl is virtually BULLET PROOF.

And dont poo-poo an upgraded clutch since you state primary track use! That SPEC line has a unit rated at 900 ft-lbs, and 8 lbs lighter. Why put in another lowest-bidder LUC disc, and have it gone again in another 30K?

Love VIR...... have fun and be safe.

OP
OP
B

Barrels

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I have ordered my mounts, clutch, and new slave cylinder.

I am 50/50 on the flywheel. I have read some posts suggesting it doesn't effect driveablility, but others that suggest it can cause problems around town. If I get one, it will be the Fidanza or the Chromoly one that Jon sells. Can someone who has made the switch give me a testimonial?

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Clutch - no reason to spend tons go with the LUK. I've run mine @ the track plenty and never any issues. Check your fluid though, if it looks pretty bad swap that first then see how everything feels. Just did it on mine ;)
Def. get the Woodhouse mounts.
Do the slave and a chromoly flywheel if it's not just the fluid and your clutch is bad or getting bad

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As far as flywheels go, my '04 has a C'moly and my '06 coupe has a fidanza. Both work super and the coupe does see some track time. My opinion, either would suit you just fine.

Steve A.