Changing Supercharger Pulley

NoRice

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If right now I am making 770rwhp with the standard pully at 8psi and 91 octane, would could I reasonably expect to gain by going to say a 10,12,14 pound pulley and 100 octane gas?

How much can be gained from just retuning for 100 octane gas with my current 8lb setup?

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
NoRice,

I have been told that every 3 lbs is good for about 100 rwhp on pump gas. Not sure with race gas, likely more.

Changing the tuning could make at least as much difference if you could find someone who can do it effectively and have the fuel system for it.

By the way, how's your fuel system working?

See you next week at VOI.

Dan

OP
OP
N

NoRice

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Viper X,
They are still fabbing the new fuel system, so I am still running around on my Aeromtive Eliminator pump. But now that temps are below 100 I have not had any problems with the vapor locking. I plan on going to the BBQ next Sunday but was worried about my fuel situation so I ordered an Aeromtive A1000 to replace the Eliminator, but I may hold off on changing it as I drove the car all weekend and didn't have any problems.

Your motor is similar to mine, how much boost are you running and are those numbers in your sig on pump or other gas? I keep seeing others with the paxton on stock motors almost making what I am(770rwhp/710rwtq) and I am forged with a 522", so I figure I would be making alot more than those stockers with paxtons. I am having major traction issues already, but when I put on the drag radials or whatever tire I end up with, I want to up the boost also. I am running 100 octane gas now all the time since it isn't much more than 91 here, $3.10 vs. $4.99 so I figure I can really get aggressive with it and get some good power out of it.

viper585

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Viper X,
They are still fabbing the new fuel system, so I am still running around on my Aeromtive Eliminator pump. But now that temps are below 100 I have not had any problems with the vapor locking. I plan on going to the BBQ next Sunday but was worried about my fuel situation so I ordered an Aeromtive A1000 to replace the Eliminator, but I may hold off on changing it as I drove the car all weekend and didn't have any problems.

Your motor is similar to mine, how much boost are you running and are those numbers in your sig on pump or other gas? I keep seeing others with the paxton on stock motors almost making what I am(770rwhp/710rwtq) and I am forged with a 522", so I figure I would be making alot more than those stockers with paxtons. I am having major traction issues already, but when I put on the drag radials or whatever tire I end up with, I want to up the boost also. I am running 100 octane gas now all the time since it isn't much more than 91 here, $3.10 vs. $4.99 so I figure I can really get aggressive with it and get some good power out of it.

Wow...I can't imagine a stock motor handling near your 770 wheel #. I can't imagine a SC car running much over 700 with a stock motor. Am I wrong? Who is doing that? Thanks...and I agree with ViperX on the 100hp to 3lbs. That is close to what I have seen.

OP
OP
N

NoRice

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I belive there is one in NM making over 700rwhp and I thought 2002GTSACRxxxxx was making very close to or over 700rwhp.

viper585

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am making 700plus on pump gas all stock

700 I can understand. 720 would be a push. Anyone doing that?

How did you get to 700...pulley? Thanks, A.J.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi KenricGTS. Please post your dyno sheets including A/F numbers. 700 rear wheel horsepower on a stock motor with only a stock Paxton kit - assuming a tune within the tolerances of the motor - is considerably outside the expected result.

OP
OP
N

NoRice

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I searched this site and some others are claiming over 700 on a stock motor and paxton only. It sounds like if you were to change out the pistons, you should be able to push the motor hard and make the same numbers as I have.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NoRice said: "I searched this site and some others are claiming over 700 on a stock motor and paxton only. It sounds like if you were to change out the pistons, you should be able to push the motor hard and make the same numbers as I have."

Your 522 motor is far from stock. 700 - 750HP at the flywheel for a stock motor and stock Paxton kit is believable. At the rear wheels? Unlikely. Some posters do not seem to understand the difference between "at the flywheel" and "at the rear wheels". Even more are not aware of the difference in results obtained by a Dynojet vs a Mustang dyno. Lastly, stock means stock. That is why I would like to see the graphs.

OP
OP
N

NoRice

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I understand about my motor, but what I was trying to point out with these 700rwhp claims of stock motors, is why even go through the process of a build up like my motor if you can just change out pistons and make the same power? It would seem ridiculous to spend $30-$40k on a 522" setup if you can make 50-70rwhp less on a stock motor from the factory and the same rwhp as I am by swapping pistons out. Maybe I don't understand fully the numbers either. How much difference is it between the 2 different dynos and in the end are the numbers really different or just reported different?

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree. 630 - 650 for a stock engine is more realistic. I am up to 690 with Mopar race exhaust and slight tuning.

Has anyone installed a larger intercooler radiator? That is an area of weakness as the capacity is too low.

KenricGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't know how to post the sheet but it was on a Dynojet and I know the difference between crank and rear wheels. I have been moding cars for years. I have a DLM car that is for sale that has 900rwhp on pump gas that is for sale 90k.

KenricGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh yea I have put on a Corsa cat back on the car now so I will have to re dyno and see where I am. I have a friend that has the exact setup I had at the time and he pulled 690rwhp on the same dyno.

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I belive there is one in NM making over 700rwhp and I thought 2002GTSACRxxxxx was making very close to or over 700rwhp.

I wish..I am at 735 at the CRANK not at the wheels.

I too am shocked by the 700~720 rwhp, but have faith in Kendrick and believe him if he says thats the deal. Course, I will add that a TUNE is not a stock paxton kit. Definitly more power can be extracted from a good tune vs a conservative paxton tune. But again, not by the significant difference he is making over most others. So I say congrats !! Give the nay sayers (including myself.. lol) something to choke on, send the dyno file and one of us will post it.

Jon

PS. Who ever said 700 is believable but 720 is not, my god **** 20 rwhp i have lost in a day on bad weather. If someone gets 700 thats just as impressive to me as 720. Sorry, seemed like you back peddled, and im calling a spade a spade.

viper585

Viper Owner
Reaction score
2002 Viper GTS ACR said
PS. Who ever said 700 is believable but 720 is not, my god **** 20 rwhp i have lost in a day on bad weather. If someone gets 700 thats just as impressive to me as 720. Sorry, seemed like you back peddled, and im calling a spade a spade.

Well, you must be talking about me...although you need to read more carefully. Read below my 2 statements again. A "push" does not mean it is not believable..it means it would be near the edge of "boom" for stock internals on a Gen3. I asked if anyone was doing that. And yes...the 20HP does make a difference at those #'s with STOCK internals. Getting to the 720 on a stock motor is not the issue...keeping it together is. I have witnessed a 725WHP S/C car on a stock motor come apart. Of course the numbers can be achieved...increase the boost.

"...I can't imagine a stock motor handling near your 770 wheel #. I can't imagine a SC car running MUCH over 700 with a stock motor. Who is doing that? "

"700 I can understand. 720 would be a PUSH. Anyone doing that?

How did you get to 700...pulley? Thanks, A.J."

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dynojet numbers are significantly higher than Mustang dyno numbers. Aberrant numbers can result from improper settings. Until I see a dyno sheet from a proper run showing 700 rear wheel horsepower or more with a STOCK Paxton installation on a STOCK engine, my view is that this level of output is doubtful. The 700 rear wheel horsepower number was allegedly from a dynojet run. The stock vehicle produces around 450 rear wheel horsepower on a dynojet. An increase of 250 HP to the rear wheels, 55.5%, seems doubtful. If it is happening, the engine is not long for this world.

KenricGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I need to have our club pres. chime in as he was there with me and his car also dynoed 690rwhp. now you all have to remember that was with the car completely cooled down not hot at all. heat kills power with blower cars. When I dynoed my GT to tune it with the 18psi pulley we just kept doing pull after pull and it made 640rwhp. If I let it cool down I bet I would have seen another 30rwhp. Just like when I drag race I let the car cool down ice the intake just to get a couple of tenths and a little more mile an hour. But my numbers are what they are. Looking at the dyno sheet and it was 78 temp max power 704.79 max torque 634.50.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"I need to have our club pres. chime in as he was there with me and his car also dynoed 690rwhp."

690rwhp is not 700 rwhp. With that said, 690rwhp is still too high for a stock Paxton on a stock motor. High numbers like this could be attributable to dyno operator and/or equipment error.

OP
OP
N

NoRice

Viper Owner
Reaction score
690 or 700rwhp is pretty much the same thing. The point of the post is obviously lost by now as we got onto the subject of these high numbers for stock paxton setups. I believe the numbers Kenric is claiming, I just wonder how much the correction factor actually comes into play when you are talking 1.20 correction vs. my 1.09.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you guys are all a little "off" on this... a STOCK SRT w/ a paxton bolt-on kit can make 700rwhp with ease. some of the 1st cars off the lot that had this made 700rwhp. I saw 2 in GA at a dyno day pull 700/700 in the GA heat. the same car w/ a smaller pulley and modified fuel system (aka: DLM treatment) make ~725-750rwhp all day long.

Now, what can a stock block handle? that is based on more than just boost and HP. Rods start to stress over 1000rwhp. pistons crack under detonation. but a good TUNE can easily support 800rwhp on a stock block. now, there is a difference between 800rwhp on 21psi and 800rwhp on 12psi. psi is easier on the motor, for sure...

i could go on and on. but I won't bore y'all...

JD

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"I need to have our club pres. chime in as he was there with me and his car also dynoed 690rwhp."

690rwhp is not 700 rwhp. With that said, 690rwhp is still too high for a stock Paxton on a stock motor. High numbers like this could be attributable to dyno operator and/or equipment error.

Bob re-read his post, he is talking about the SECOND Paxton car, his still made over 700 !! He still is standing firm that he made over 700hp with his stock setup.

Jon

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The word "also" means also.

KenricGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What I mean is that 690 and 704 are so close! Two cars same set up almost same numbers same dyno.

KenricGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No rice on my DLM car we were running a 13psi pulley and of course all the trick stuff Doug knows and the car was pulling 890 to 900rwhp. comp coupe cam built bottom end polished ported heads ect. stock 505 though. you should be able to hit 850rwhp on 13 to 14psi you have the bottom end to handle it!

OP
OP
N

NoRice

Viper Owner
Reaction score
No rice on my DLM car we were running a 13psi pulley and of course all the trick stuff Doug knows and the car was pulling 890 to 900rwhp. comp coupe cam built bottom end polished ported heads ect. stock 505 though. you should be able to hit 850rwhp on 13 to 14psi you have the bottom end to handle it!

I know my motor can handle it as it has made more power than what it is currently making with the previous owner. It made 810rwhp on 93 octane with the old owner @7-8lbs. When I got it here to Vegas we retuned it for our 91 octane here and elevation change and it made 773rwhp/710rwtq @7-8lbs when it was 100 degrees that day with 8% humidity and a 1.09 correction.

I was just wondering what it would make at each boost level 10,12,14,16 etc. and switching to 100 octane gas. I didn't know if there is a standard number you can count on when going up 2 psi. Apparently according to someone else, every 3psi adds 100rwhp on pump gas.

Whats the highest HP/TQ put down with a paxton so far?