Changing the SRT body style for the better

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think I have figured out what turns me off about the SRT body.IMO the bump over the rear wheels is too pronounced.Flatten it out,trim it down use a little more kick up at the rear spoiler. GTS Bruce

OP
OP
G

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Absolutely not making fun.Suggesting a smoother line across the doors to the tail.Would tend to make the rear section look longer,sleeker and faster.More like a comp coupe which has a longer tail section. GTS Bruce

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
In my opinion, if you take out that bulge, you lose a lot of "muscle" look to that section.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They should have left out the lip on the rear deck lid and left it rounded like "RT10-ish"

They also should have made the hood one piece from top of the side gape.

And the hood scoop looks horrible. A NACA style scoop, not necessarily identical to the GenI, should have been used.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, I am not going to start a war here and that was never the intention but after talking with many people and the threads from the past, I have really figured out what the SRT line is missing. First and foremost, the GEN I & II's can not be compared to the SRT line. Totally different cars. Good to make them look totally different? That is personal opinion.

After years of dislike for the SRT line, I will admit, like I have before, the car (SRT CONVERTIBLE ONLY) is growing on me but then they introduced the coupe, which does have similar lines to the GTS coupe. I was never a huge GTS fan so that is probably why I am not a huge fan of the coupe but I have noticed that Dodge did a similar design with the SRT Convertible & SRT Coupe as they did with the RT/10 & GTS. The lines that differ the RT/10 & GTS are pretty much the same lines that differ the SRT Convertible & SRT Coupe. It is mainly that part on the rear that wraps around the tail lights on both the right and left hand sides. Fix that, or make it look more flush and I think the coupe would look like a drastically different car.

Yes that was a long response, but the only way to fully explain. Please chime in.

Visual Diagram:
You must be registered for see images

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can't please everybody.

I love that look. It's very unique and retains GenII styling ques. I disagree with your "totally different cars" comment. All models retain some styling components - modified, otherwise they would be as you say "totally different" and thus, a different model entirely.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is what I have always liked best about the GTS. I am not sure they should have kept it the same on the SRT10 coupe. I guess it has not grown on me yet. I like the GTS better in the genII's and like the convertible better in the genIII's.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind the rear as much if it was grafted on a front that more matched the rear's design. Overall, the car looks great, but having a curvy rear and top, but an angular front doesn't make sense to me.

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And the hood scoop looks horrible. A NACA style scoop, not necessarily identical to the GenI, should have been used.

I disagree,Chuck. I love that scoop, one of the main reasons why I like the style so much and bought one.

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the bland part of the SRTC is the bulging front wheel fenders, and the way they do not seem to flow towards the back very well. The top crease is too straight and looks, well, odd. I think that is why pictures taken from higher than knee level of the front look so plain. The only pictures that look good are from knee level or lower, if one is trying to capture part of the side of the car.

Otherwise, the rest of the car looks good to me.

FinalEd357

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I really like the rear of the Coupe, compared to the Vert, as well. Both are sweet, though...

sween

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DC doesnt need to change a thing. in person it looks perfect. simply perfect!! if you havent seen it you have to! you will be amazed :2tu:

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
We all seem to have different likes / dislikes.

IMHO;

The new coupe should have been a very close match to the comp coupe. That thing really looks cool.

That said, I will still likely buy a new coupe, after DC makes many mechanical changes. HP / TQ increase, diff change, oiling system change, shock / spring change, roll bar, etc.

I love my GTS's styling. Very classic.

I also love my SRT-10 vert's styling, but mine is lowered with Forglines, Autoform hood, top and roll bar. Much more aggressive look. The Paxton, comp coupe oil pan, Quaife and Motons help too.

Never cared for the rounded off look of the RT-10, wouldn't buy one.

To each his own.

Russ Oasis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The SRT is too "refined" looking. When it came out in 2003, I looked like you would have expected a new Corvette to look (the proof is: the new Corvette then did take some stying cues from the SRT). The SRT is almost feminine in appeal. Ever notice how women like the SRT much more than previous Snakes but men tend to prefer the older designs? What happened to the days of OUTRAGEOUS styling that way way too far out there for the masses? Any student of marketing knows that the more mass appeal you make a non mass appeal object, the less desireable it becomes. While DC appears to have tried to make the masses happy by watering down the styling of the SRT (there is no denying that it is more mainstream than the RT-10 or the GTS) they haven't sold ANY additional cars by making that move and have disappointed much of the core contingency of lovers of the Almighty Snake (of which I'm one). I say, "Let's get back to the really radical designs" and forget about what the masses like. By me, the way a Aston Martin Vanquish looks, is how the SRT should look.
While I'm on my soap box, the V-10 engine is capable of holding together with so much more power. Even a small turbo would put that motor over 600 HP. Here's a radical idea, how about offering a 700 HP version but no warranty on the engine. I'd love to see it.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The SRT is too "refined" looking.
Agree

What happened to the days of OUTRAGEOUS styling that way way too far out there for the masses?
Answer the question DC!

DC appears to have tried to make the masses happy by watering down the styling of the SRT
Absolutely true.

I say, "Let's get back to the really radical designs" and forget about what the masses like.
Yes! Radical!

And if they can't bring the clamshell back could they bring back the reverse hood opening? Or better yet, a race hood with pins. Talk about radical for a street car.

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
QUOTE BY RUSS OASIS
The SRT is too "refined" looking....I say, "Let's get back to the really radical designs" and forget about what the masses like. By me, the way a Aston Martin Vanquish looks, is how the SRT should look.

This is a RADICAL design??!

Are you saying this Viper SRT is too "refined" next to thr Vanquish?

Sorry Russ but I don't agree! The Viper SRT looks 10xs better than the Vanquish!

sween

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sorry russ, the vanquish (and ive seen them in person) are butt fugly. the viper srtc (which ive also seen in person) looks amazing! honestly if you see the coupe in person nothing needs to be changed :2tu:

yellow02

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i dont mean to turn this into the vanquish vs. the srtc thread, but comparing the two is almost wrong. The look of the aston martin is clean and bold. I was drawn to it by its looks, like the GTS in the day. On the other hand, im trying to force myself to like this new coupe, and in some ways its just not doing it for me. In some views, and in some pictures i think it looks amazing. Yet, i still cant respect the way it looks after they ever put out the concept years back that looked more like a competition coupe.

Russ Oasis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's what makes the world go round. For me, the Vanquish is far better looking than the SRT Coupe. I did like the GTS and the RT-10 better than anything else in their day. I also like the comp coupe (I own two of them) better than the Vanquish, but there is something that is not right with both the SRT-10 or the SRT Coupe. Hate to say it, but they are beginning to look like Corvettes. And by the way, Sween, not only have I seen the coupe in person, I have 5 Vipers. I'm stickin with my original statment. Vipers need to get back to being wildly radical. Like the Comp Coupe. THAT is an awesome design.