changing tranny fluid and antifreeze

SurfSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was thinking of changing my antifreeze and changing my tranny fluid to redline over the winter. What kind of fluids do most of you use when you do this routine maintance?

Bad_Byte

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The most important fluid I use is a few bottles of Corona with a twist.
bounce.gif

Oh you mean for the Viper... ummmm I think I've been using the Mobil one tranny fluid.

I recently went to Valvoline Super coolant vice anti-freeze. I wouldn't recommend using it in the colder climates as it has no freeze protection. I was advised against using any form of water wetter. Something about its bad for an aluminum block.

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just my opinion...after researching posts I decided on these fluids for a 95 with low miles, not track raced.
Trans - Mopar from dealer - synthetic, clear fluid (not red dextron) used in current Vipers, need 4 quarts. Easy to do with lift...take off trans skid plate, open drain plug, drain, close, open fill plug, get 3-4 inch tube just smaller than opening of trans, insert in trans and squeeze bottle in other end. This is a little tricky and messy because you need to try to cram the bottle up wherever you can to get it higher than the fill hole. I put almost all 4 quarts in and when I pulled out the tube a bunch leaked out which is good. Just have a funnel ready and wait until it stops, then plug.

Differential - Mopar from dealer, currently used in Viper, need 4 oz additive and 2 quarts fluid
I bought a suction device from Murrays for about $15 (it looks like a small bicycle air pump) and my dad worked one end inside the differential moving it all around in and out while I pumped a billion times until we were sure all was out. Put 4 oz. additive in first, then using same method as trans with small tube squeeze in 41-43 oz. until it overflows when tube is removed. Let drain and plug.

Coolant - Zerex G5 from Autozone. This was a long but relatively easy process because I only wanted distilled water in my Viper.

Power steering - Mopar from dealer, need 1 quart. Turkey baster, sucked out reservoir, wiped clean, filled, started car moved steering wheel back and forth 20 times, repeated entire process two more times. Drove car, drained and refilled one more time the next day.

Brake fluid - Motul 600 RBF. If you race your car use Castrol RBF for $80 per bottle(not the stuff at Autozone). You can get it at a motorcycle place for $10 per bottle. I bought 3 bottles to be sure I had enough but was told 1-2 will do. You can't keep this stuff so I'll use the extra in other cars. I bought a pressure tank and ordered the adapter to fit the Viper yesterday from Miller.

Clutch fluid - Motul 600 RBF. Turkey baster, sucked out reservoir, wiped clean, filled, pressed clutch 20 times, repeated entire process two more times. Drove car, drained and refilled one more time the next day. Be extra careful with Motul since it will eat paint, put tons of towels over everything.

prodiver

VCA Member
Reaction score
What Craig suggest is pretty much what I use in my 95 and I track the car quite frequently. Only thing I would like to add is remove the right rear wheel when removing oil in differential. Makes it much easier.

Don Hiltz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My '94 Service Manual is very specific in stating that only Dexron II-E be used in the T-56 transmission, because it can withstand higher temperatures than Dexron II, Mercon, or Mopar 7176.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use Amsoil in the transmission and differential. I have noticed the temp. gauge running a little cooler since this change last spring. I haven't changed the antifreeze yet. Will do that next spring.

Steve