Charging Battery via engine bay issues

StoleIt2x

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My battery is only 3 months old and recently died (not completely but not enough to turn over the engine).

Plugged my fancy charger (does both trickle, recharge, and engine start) and it doesn't seem to be adding any power to the battery (via the fancy voltage gauge and battery charge percent gauge on the charger). I tried playing around with different grounds in the engine bay (normally use the one below and slightly forward of the remote terminal) and that didn't do anything. Then tried the screw sticking out by what my memory recalls as the break fluid thingy.

Any thoughts?

Second item: I am deploying in about a couple weeks and debating if I should leave the car plugged into the trickle charger or just completely disconnect the battery? Will be gone for about 3-4 months.

Thanks!
Neal

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The last thing I would do is leave a trickle charger that's not performing properly plugged in while your away. Pull the battery from the car and try charging it on a bench.

Wiretech

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Take the battery out and bring it back to the store and have it charged and load tested first asap, the battery may be bad should be under warranty.

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You need to use a battery tender while your gone...my opinion, as well as many others here, is the Deltran Battery Tender Plus...

Here is where I put the leads...

picture.php

Check out this thread for battery tender info...

Battery Tender

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Neal, get a new battery and a battery tender just as shown above and you will be good to go for all the time you are away.

mad prof

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Neal, load-test the battery first to determine if it is OK and capable of holding any charge. If your battery is OK, then plug it to the tender charger and leave it until you are back. I would not leave a faulty battery on charge as it may cause mayhem while you are away. If the battery is faulty, get a new one.

If you wish, diconnet the battery and leave it until you are back and ready to use the car. However, you might need to be reset the alarm.
Finally, why your 3 moth-old battery is draining? Do your have an electric leak somewhere? Check if there is a short and it drains the battery.

be safe where you are going

Grisoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
An alternative would be to plug in through a lighter socket pigtail, which is what I do every time I pull in to the garage.

past ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If battery is only 3 mos old, don't you have a 2 or 3 year warranty ??? Take the battery out, leave it sit on the bench, when you get back, then turn it in under warranty and get a new battery....just my $.02....take care and be safe and thanks for your service !!! (fellow Army guy !)

Viper98912

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did exactly as pictured except I use the permanent pigtail hard wired to those two terminals. Then I sneak it behind the plate and it hides in there. I can reach through the side vent to plug in. No need to open the hood.