cheap mods with decent return??????

ASKYOURWIFE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi...I recently had a stock dyno done on a dyno jet that returned 410 /465 SAE..For my 1999 rt10

Had a run in with a 525 rwhp Supra that took me by 3 cars on a closed track from 70-130 mph...

On the same track had a run in with a 430 awhp EVO that took me by one car ength from 60-130 mph...

And then ran a S2000 with 350 rwhp on the same closed track that I took by two cars from 70-130...

Im thinking about buying one of the 150$ smooth tube intakes from ebay and then spending another hundred bucks to have my local muffler shop get rid of the cats for dtraight pipes...

If im dynoing 410 rwhp right now bone stock as well as 465 rwt...What can i expect with these cheap mods rwhp wise as well as my next track encounter????

Any other ideas for cheap mods that give decent returns?

Thanks for any help.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know about removing your cats-

but my stock '01 only dyno'd at 412rwhp, with tubes/intake/exhaust.

I'm sure some of the other Viper owners will chime in, but I don't think you'll see much difference in your hp, but it might sound better:)

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Forged cars usually respond better to intake and exhaust mods than the puffs

Go tubes and filters, hi-flow cats and an aftermarket 3" cat-back exhaust

You could go catless but if your state sniffs...........also be prepared for LOUD and smelly catless

Then there's PCM reprogramming, headers, rockers, before you get into BIG $$ with the likes of head / cam package or forced induction

Good luck and keep us posted

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
..20hp ain't gonna do much against the competition.

I'd have to agree that the nitrous would seem to be what you need to be the king of 70-130 blasts.

OP
OP
A

ASKYOURWIFE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well against this competition....

I think 20 rwhp would have made the differance with the EVO and had me right behind the Supra by a car or two...

Seems like most bone stock gen 2's dont do much better than 12.0 at 118 mph...

While on the other hand it seems like most gen 2's with smooth tubes and no cats dont do much better than 11.8 at 120 mph....

Looks like a two tenth and two mph gain across the board to me???????

Ill try this first and see how it feels....Then later on maybe the spray..

My 99 is all forged correct?????

How much spay can the engine and drive train handle relitivly safely?

So a typical gen 2 on a 200 shot dyno's 600 rwhp and 700 rwt on the juice??? Thats pretty insane.....

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What's the ebaY smooth tube intake..not one of those things with the universal K&Ns mounted right behind the radiator is it?

I picked up a tenth by modding my OE airbox btw. Removing the rain dam and adding aluminum sheet over the downward sloping OE airbox floor.

The aluminum starts at the beginning of the slope, and ends right in front of the bottom edge of the K&Ns. Leaving only one place for incoming air to go !

:)

I don't see how any of the aftermarket airbox offerings would improve on the nice straight shot going in I have now.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most of us are familiar with the Vipair. I've made essentially the same thing for my car (for $15 or so). It might even be a little better, because the entire access panel opening is opened up, rather than covering it with a piece having a couple channels built into each end. Moroso makes the material, so it's real race stuff.. (right?) :)

This same homemade unit appeared to drop another Viper's ET by about .15sec in back to back runs once. So for me, lo-buck or not, it'll do just fine. Maybe I can nurse an 11.6X out of the car..

Cool weather (49deg high this weekend) may be helping horsepower, but it's reducing traction at a strip where traction was already marginal. - I guess I can just come off the line at about 2000rpm, then punch it. The max ETs will suffer, but if I'm consistent enough, I might still see the before and after difference. :)

Again, the NACA duct takes up so much room, I think deleting it might help even more. Hopefully the weather/winds will be good enough to allow at least one more trip to the drags so I can try and see the difference.

(Vipair also makes units without a depression in the center for those not having or deleting their NACA duct.)

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are doing it on the cheap, just use some truck radiator hose for the smooth tubes. Will cost about 16$ and works just as well.

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I HAVE A 99' RT/10
B&B Headers and full catback, no cats, smooth tube + filters, VEC 2 and i still only put down 435 on motor.
NOW add a 150 shot of nitrous and everyone of those cars will be seeing your tailights. I put down 600/820 on a 150 shot!

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On a 99 cheap mods would be.

Borla exhaust no cats.
O2 sims, you need them.
K&N's/smooth tubes.

On mine this made 429rwhp and 470torque.

Add an underdrive pulley and you can get a few more horses and almost 10 lb's torque.

Put a 250 shot on top of that and you can have 670rwhp and almost 900 lb's at the wheels. All of this can be done for about 2k if you install yourself.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry can't help you for now. I took some parts off early yesterday (before I read your post..), and today's rainy, overcast, and just uninspiring.

Photos just wouldn't show much at the moment. Pics aiming inside the airbox don't reveal enough.

Might have to wait until Spring when I'm pulling things off and on again..

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1) Sticky rear tires
2) Short gears
3) tell the competition you are only going to race from a standing start

If that does not work change the rules and tell them pump gas only and you are good to go.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
General Jackson