Check engine code 33??

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I'm getting the dreaded check engine light with the code 33 which according to my manual is A/C Clutch Relay circuit either shorted or open. I was having some electrical problems which is what I think set off the code. Now it seems to be fixed but I still have the code.

Question
1. Is this a hard code that resetting the computer will not clear? I have tried it and it turns off for about 10 miles and 2 restarts then it comes back on.

2. The A/C (air conditioning) works just fine so I'm thinking its a false code. I really don't want to take it to the dealer just to reset the code. They keep the car an entire day just to do an oil change
frown.gif
and no doubt they will charge some crazy amount to reset it.

Any thoughts from the experts?

Rich Carlson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What kind of eletrical problems where you having?????? Are you sure the relay is actually shutting off the clutch circuit? The A/C will still work but there may be a problem with the relay. Watch and listen for the clutch while the A/C on is running. See if it cycles.

OP
OP
M

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well the electrical problems I was having was the alarm not recognizing the remote. Would drive the car set alarm then 5 min later could not disarm. Happened 2 times cleaned battery contacts and it has not reoccurred. Not sure if its fixed though.

I checked the A/C compressor and could hear the freon hissing as it would start and stop, so I think its cycling normally. I also swapped the relay under the hood for the A/C and fog lights they had the same markings on them so I think they were the same. Yet my light is still on. I'm thinking of leaving it be until I go back for regular service because everything seems to be operating properly.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21