Check Engine: "Coolant Temp -40 Degrees".....***?

Bugeater

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check Engine: \"Coolant Temp -40 Degrees\".....***?

OK, there must be a bad coolant sensor or connection somewhere....anybody know what to look for in this case? This is what the scantool came back with...

FYI - I have the ROE autofan kit. I didnt put it on (came with car) so not sure what it "spliced into". Dont know if this info is pertinant...

Also, The sensor located under the drivers-side throttle body, where the radiator coolant hose exits the engineblock is held on by a large twisty tiestrap (or whatever you call them). There is a wire making contact to this sensor, and being held there with the strap. Looks like it may have been broken in the past, or this is a mod for the Roe kit....dunno.

Anyone run into this situation, where the computer is getting back a voltage telling it that the coolant is negative 40 degrees??? Its making me run rich, and messing with my idle.

Help!

striker79

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Check Engine: \"Coolant Temp -40 Degrees\".....***?

well the short and easy answer is that you got a bad temp sensor but i can't say for sure if it is a sensor or a wiring problem you could try to look for loose of broken wires give a tug and see if they stretch or if some of the insulation on the wires is gone and shorting out you could try to hook the scanner up and disconnect the sensor harness and see if you can take like a paper clip and just stick one end in one hole and the other end in another hole and see if anything changes that would be a quick way to check the sensor or just hook the scanner up and wiggle the harness going to the temp sensor and see if there is a change of temp of course be sure to warm the car up or get it some what warm so there will be a change if you do find somthing wrong.hope i helped

OP
OP
B

Bugeater

Enthusiast
Reaction score

what temp sensor are you referring to? Is it where I think it is, ie: under driver's throttle body where coolant hose exits block?

Reaction score

what temp sensor are you referring to? Is it where I think it is, ie: under driver's throttle body where coolant hose exits block?

No John....I am 99% sure that is the sensor for the Roe Fan Kit. At least that is where mine is...stop on by if you need to have a comparison look, or call me this week.

I do not see how the Roe kit could have any effect, or be causing your problem. As far as I can tell it simply "sees" the coolant temp via the sensor you see and starts the fan when it gets too hot (all of this is when the car is turned off).

No, it sounds like the main sensor has a problem....we need the Wixarrd, Tom Sessions, or someone who actually knows something to chime in. :) I have the books for a 97, if you want to peruse them and see if there is any info.

You know where I am! :)

OP
OP
B

Bugeater

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Tony - I am in Raleigh (and so is the car)...I will stop by this week and point out what I'm talkin' about on your car...

Thanks people!

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score

That is the correct sensor. It is a multi-function device: input to pcm; water temperature; warning light. It also is used to control the fan and AC cutoff. The default (coldest/richest) position is -40.

I am guessing, however, I would think that the PCM is seeing high circuit resistance (infinity). Look for an open or loose conductor/termination. The sensor is a variable resistor and it could be the problem. Remove the connector and check the output terminals of the sensor with an ohmmeter when it is cold, run the car and check it again and see if you see a change, if not, it is the problem.

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hey John,

I thought I would CHIME in like you do to 90% of my posts with irrelevant information: Maybe you KNOCKED something LOOSE the last time you were at the VIR track ??? :D

BTW, how are those T&D's singing ?? Its SUNDAY, wanna RACE ?? Is your wife going to let you come out and play ?? ;)

-This post was meant to have NO value, like 99% of John's (aka bug eater's) post :rolleyes: (kidding.. kidding.. don't Spam me)

John, stop by today if you have time, and we can check it out further (with my volt meter), maybe we can get it fixed, and I can hold your hand to the Fayetteville Track (since your scared) and finally see what your mechanical balls and T&D's can do for ya !!

-Pecker (aka John's Daddy !!)

Reaction score

That is the correct sensor. It is a multi-function device: input to pcm; water temperature; warning light. It also is used to control the fan and AC cutoff. The default (coldest/richest) position is -40.

I am guessing, however, I would think that the PCM is seeing high circuit resistance (infinity). Look for an open or loose conductor/termination. The sensor is a variable resistor and it could be the problem. Remove the connector and check the output terminals of the sensor with an ohmmeter when it is cold, run the car and check it again and see if you see a change, if not, it is the problem.

Just to calrify...I was refering to the sensor on the outlet, held on by white zip-ties. That is the Roe sensor I am most sure. I should have been clearer. :)

OP
OP
B

Bugeater

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Tony,
Can you ban Mr. 2002-ACR-dog-****** please? He thinks wings on Vipers are rice.

Thank You in Advance!

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hey Bugeater,

I wasnt calling your car a dog, but heck if you want to call it such, and then say I Beat ya... then cool.. my new name is

Viper_ACR_DOG_Beater

^----- Dog being your slow [******] 2000 ACR.

-Jon