Intermittent Fogs and horn

Huntz52

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey all!
I've searched up and down and couldn't find anything similar to my issue I'm having with my 2000 RT/10.

When I purchased my car a few months ago, I checked the fogs and saw that they worked, but when driving the car home (night drive) I noticed the fogs were off even though they were turned on inside and the fog indicator was also on. I noticed that when I would hit a bump, they would turn on and when hitting another bump they would turn off. I got home and opened the access holes in the wheel wells to access the fogs, but everything seemed connected and wiggling things in there to see if it was a loose connection. With the hood open, as I turn off and on the lights, I can hear clicking from I believe the relay. Fast forward from that time, someone cut me off and needed my horn.. this is when I found out my horn was also intermittent. I noticed that if my fog lights are on and working, then my horn will work. As I was heat cycling the car from my new water pump install I decided to just turn the fogs on to see how all they react from just sitting there and not having bumps. As the car turned on the high speed fan to cool itself, the fogs turned off and the horn stopped working.. I've also noticed that the "low speed" on my fan doesn't appear to function even after replacing my coolant sensor, so I'm not sure if there is a link there also.

Could any one give me some ideas of what to check or if t his has happened to you and you found the problem? Maybe its a ground? I've checked the fuses once over and the fuses for the lights, horn and fan all appear intact. Are there ground areas that I could check and see if any are loose?

Goggles Pizano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are 2 relays that control the fogs. If the light on the dash for the fogs remains on but the fogs are not working, it is not the relays. You have wiring issues and bumps usually point to that direction.

Goggles Pizano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Trace the ground from one of the fogs or better from the horns or the hood switch. They all connect together at a split before going to the same ground. The split and ground points are the same for the horn. That is why they both either work or they don't.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Huntz52

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Trace the ground from one of the fogs or better from the horns or the hood switch. They all connect together at a split before going to the same ground. The split and ground points are the same for the horn. That is why they both either work or they don't.
Traced them but couldnt find anything lose. I imagine there could be more to find if I take the bumper off. I also noticed tonight that when i try to beep the horn, i can hear the relay, but the fog light indicator comes on. Weird!

KyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is the Grounding info from the 2001 Service Manual. I would guess that they are the same on the 2000. It shows location of Ground on the RIGHT FRONT FRAME RAIL.
Hope this helps.

Attachments

• IMG_5769.jpeg
    IMG_5769.jpeg
    115.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_5770.jpeg
    IMG_5770.jpeg
    202.1 KB · Views: 5

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads