Check Engine Light - Belanger & Re-flashed ECU

OP
OP
W

witz323

Viper Owner
Reaction score
to answer the question about the cost of the re-flash, yeah it was high. Before taxes and the additional 02 sensor it was around $1,200 w/ labor. I have a feeling i got dinged by the dealer b/c they marked up the work that snake-oyl did, EVEN THOUGH I WAS THE ONE WHO SUGGESTED CONTACTING SNAKE-OYL. Whatever, i understand how that works as I sell many products through distributors. Everyone needs to get paid. However, by the dealer taking on this responsibility and making a profit off the re-flash, I would hope they are comitted to resolving this problem at either no or a very low cost. If that means re-routing the 02 wires, replacing the sensors, whatever. More to come this afternoon.

w8liftn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
At the risk of sounding ignorant, is there any damage that can be caused by having the 'check engine' light on? I did a side-exhaust conversion on my '02 GTS and the rear o2 sensors would not reach and tripped my light. I am one of the poor people that have a Viper and don't want to drop 1K to make the light go off if there is no harm done, at least for now. Any ideas?

OP
OP
W

witz323

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It's not that i'm spending $1,000.00 to make a light go away, it was for the computer to be reprogrammed to better handle the belanger mods and truly get the horsepower and torque gains associated with those products. A bi-product of doing this has been the check engine light and the reverse gear lockout. It's not costing me $1,000.00 to fix this. The reverse lockout is really annoying, and personally i don't like driving around with a check engine light on. It sounds like a simple re-routing of the 02 wires will fix this issue...I hope.

SilveRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At the risk of sounding ignorant, is there any damage that can be caused by having the 'check engine' light on? I did a side-exhaust conversion on my '02 GTS and the rear o2 sensors would not reach and tripped my light. I am one of the poor people that have a Viper and don't want to drop 1K to make the light go off if there is no harm done, at least for now. Any ideas?

Running with the 'check engine' light on for o2 sensors will not cause any damage, except if something more serious happens, you wont know cause the 'Check engine' light is already on.

OP
OP
W

witz323

Viper Owner
Reaction score
ordered the 02 sims from ROE today, should have them installed on tuesday. I hope this fixes it.

TAILWAG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My engine light came on on my 08 and I am running the belanger with full corsa. I am supposed to have the Mopar PCM installed and was hoping that would address the CEL, but now, I am not so sure.... :(

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SnakeBite;

I did not "Steal" from Dodge. The same dealership that installed my headers, fixed the problem with no cost to me. The tech said he should have caught the wire routing early on. Anyway Dodge paid for a new O2 sensor which burned out and the dealership paid for a new harness. I paid for nothing. I just want to clear up that I don't do anything underhanded with anyone, so the reference to stealing is uncalled for. I took it in with a CEL and asked them to fix it.

New routing fixed the problem perfectly. No problem with O2 sensor mount, just the routing and heat shield tape issue. Quite a simple fix. The O2 sensors on my car don't rub at all on the heat shield, not even close, so not sure where you are going with your comments. Bottomline is my experience has been very good with the system. That is all I am saying. Then again mine is an 06' not an 08/09. Different electronics may cause different probelms.