Check Engine Light...Thermostat Code

HyperViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Drove my 08 to work last week, doing some real slow cruising. Next time I started the car the CEL was on.

Drove it several times since on short trips and it runs the same as it always has so bought an OBD2 Diagnostic to check codes.

Came back P0128 which is thermostat below regulating temperatures.

I cleared the code for now and CEL is off but, is my thermostat bad? Anybody have similar issue?

Thanks

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Stock? Any mods?

Cold Weather Common on 08 as the worst. COLDer than normal in SoCal?

Rev Er Up a bit!

Changing the T-stat on 08 is a guaranteed CEL...

OP
OP
H

HyperViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
100% stock

It hasn't been cold it has actually felt like spring for the last 2 weeks. 75-80 every day

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Check Your Coolant Level.

An 08 is 'probably' under warranty? If So, don't be putting anything in it til a dealer documents the issue...

But it could be low coolant!

10 BANGER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Ron,
I wouldn't worry about it unless the cel comes back on.
I'm running a 170 stat with my SCT Roe tune. Never had a code come up.
Are you gonna make the races at Santa Anita?

VNM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stock? Any mods?

Cold Weather Common on 08 as the worst. COLDer than normal in SoCal?

Rev Er Up a bit!

Changing the T-stat on 08 is a guaranteed CEL...

Actually thats not true, i have a 170 T-Stat on my 08 with no check engine lights at all. 14000 miles on it :2tu:

paul fettig

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A month ago had the same problem with my truck. Took a long time for the temp to reach normal. Changed the thermostat and it warms up quicker and the check engine light went off by itself. I could see it was taking a long time for the temp to get up to normal so when I saw the code, it made sense.

TCurtner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well my CEL occ. comes on after changing where I've filled up. And the code is oxygen sensor light off. If I reset and go back to regular fill up places (of which I have two, neither is 'name brand' fuel station, but great fuel from years of experience) no problem. Maybe the 08 has VERY SENSITIVE engine comp/variance tolerances?? :confused:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The 08 is VERY "Trigger Happy" on emissions fault codes. Early '08 are worse. Dodge provided a dealer-flash for these early cars which helped.

VNM, with 170T... why did you do it? MODS? These cars just DONT run hot! And when/if the weather turns cold you WILL get a CEL! A highly-regarded tuner here STOPPED adding the G4 170T. Driving style and climate matter.....Do you have the Mopar Stage One PCM? Reprogramed PCM?

Hyper cites a 100% stock 08 car. You? Mods Matter.

OE T-stats can rarely be a weak-link, but a warranty issue needs a (free) OE stat. 170 when cold weather comes is a CEL waiting to happen on GEN FOUR. Year matters

Last edited:

VNM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 08 is VERY "Trigger Happy" on emissions fault codes. Early '08 are worse. Dodge provided a dealer-flash for these early cars which helped.

VNM, with 170T... why did you do it? MODS? These cars just DONT run hot! And when/if the weather turns cold you WILL get a CEL! A highly-regarded tuner here STOPPED adding the G4 170T. Driving style and climate matter.....Do you have the Mopar Stage One PCM? Reprogramed PCM?

Hyper cites a 100% stock 08 car. You? Mods Matter.

OE T-stats can rarely be a weak-link, but a warranty issue needs a (free) OE stat. 170 when cold weather comes is a CEL waiting to happen on GEN FOUR. Year matters

No not running Mopar or anything else on the car, and had it in cold weather but here in So Cal. maybe your right if i take it somewhere colder but until now with 13000 miles everything is okay.

OP
OP
H

HyperViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Took the car out this afternoon and it was getting cold outside. I have had the top down for weeks and generally crank the heat to warm it up inside the cab a bit.

I started it up and let it warm up a bit before taking off. I started to crank the heat on and decided not too until it got up to operating temp this time. No CEL this time but man these cars do run cool. Water temp at 180-190 and definitely goes down when you turn the heat on. So hopefully, by letting it warm up more, before taking off, I will be ok.

If not, I'll try what Blue said :D