Check out Sean Roe and The America Adventure "Cruising for the Kids"

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
One of the purposes of the VCA is to encourage charitable activities, as a club and among members. Longtime member, friend, and supporter of the VCA, Sean Roe has entered this event and asked if we would post it on the forums.

Sean, we wish you a safe, fun, and successful time and look forward to hearing how it goes.

From Sean:

Hi Everyone,

If you have a moment of time to help Roe Racing and a children’s charity, please read this email.

Roe Racing is fortunate enough to be one of the twenty-six teams competing in the Autoweek America Adventure by Mopar road rally which begins October 26th in Seattle, Washington. It’s a week-long event ending in Las Vegas at the SEMA show. You can check out the event and the teams at http://www.theamericaadventure.com/teams

The rally benefits The Graham Rahal Foundation and CARA Charities. There are two ways teams can earn pre-event points. One of the ways is by recruiting people to join the charity cause The America Adventure "Cruising for the Kids". Joining through Facebook is free, no donation is required. The other is through direct charitable donations. Both methods have a points deadline of October 26[SUP]th[/SUP].

If you have a Facebook account and a moment, will you please click on my recruiter link below and join the cause? No spam mail will be generated by this and you’re simply recognizing the cause.
http://www.causes.com/causes/630274...-cruising-for-the-kids?recruiter_id=181247103

If you would like to help and don’t have a Facebook account, you can donate directly. It is a 501c3 tax deductible donation. The link to donate is below. In the event you donate, please send me an email with your name and the amount so I can inform the organizers the support came through our teams efforts to raise awareness.
https://www.causes.com/fb/donations...174786&cause_id=630274&recruiter_id=181247103

If you can help, Roe Racing and the charity would appreciate it!

Thank you for your time.

V

Venomiss

Great work Sean and hope to see some pictures in Viper Magazine after the charity rally!

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks guys.

The event should be pretty interesting. Its combination of a Time/ Speed / Distance Rally, the One Lap of America, and the Amazing Race all wrapped up into one. It’s going to be covered by Autoweek for their magazine and television show, by Mopar with a social media team entered, and ultimately televised on the Discovery Channel.

When I first learned of the rally, taking the shop’s trusty ’96 GTS was the first thought. However, as I learned more from the organizer about the format and how little the team’s vehicle related to points, I chose to use the shop 2011 Ram Hemi 4x4 truck instead. Unlike the One Lap of America where you do track events in the same car you travel in, this event supplies the vehicles in all but three events; the drag race, wet skid autocross and road course. The drag race portion gets you points based on reaction time only, not MPH or ET. The wet skid autocross event wouldn’t be my Supercharged GTS’s strong suit (not much traction with 600 ft/lbs of torque at 2,000 RPM) and the final event is a road course, but it is only a “maybe” on the schedule and they said probably not going to factor into points. So, the shop truck with its big windows and comfortable interior made the best choice of what I owned.

One very unique aspect of this event is the use of social networks for help in solving clues. Each team’s vehicle will be equipped with high speed internet access. The teams are encouraged to use Twitter and Facebook to get assistance from their supporting clubs and fans to help solve clues in order to determine where they’re going. They haven’t told us much more than that, but we now have a Twitter account link on The America Adventure website that we’ll be using along with our company facebook page, and possibly this forum thread also.

We’ve had a lot of support come through for our team and the charity so far. We went from third to first in pre-event challenge points the last couple days! A big thank you goes out to those joining the Facebook Cause or making donations through the links above. Each dollar raised supports the children’s charity efforts and earns our team two points. Each person who joins the cause through Facebook earns the team five points. Ken Gomes has pledged $50 as did Jon Brobst of PartsRack. A BIG thank you goes out to each of them. Their tax deductible donations are directly benefiting Alex's Lemonade stand and the Association of Hole in the Wall Camps.

Here’s some info about the event from TheAmericaAdventure website:

The Rally

On Oct. 26, 2011, teams will begin in the laid-back lake town of Seattle, Washington. The next 6 days of gaming will take teams through some of the most diverse countryside in America with each evening ending in a new city. As part of the game, and the fun, teams will have no idea where they'll end up for the night and will have to "get a clue" in order to navigate the route correctly.
On day 7, the event will come to an end in the bustling metropolis of Las Vegas, Nevada at the largest automotive tradeshow in the world, the annual SEMA convention. With a big finish, a few teams will have the chance to test their luck one last time and hopefully take home the grand prize: a limited edition Mopar '11 Charger!

The Game

Each day of the event, teams will be competing for a key. Points are earned by solving clues, completing missions, and correctly navigating the route on time and at speed limit. Several point earning Track Challenges are also incorporated into game play. The team who collects the most points without breaking the rules, will win a key at the end of the day.
There will be 7 keys up for grabs; 1 during the pre-game and 6 during the live event. At the finish line, all key holders will be brought up on stage and given the chance to start the car. Whoever starts the engine, wins the car.

The Pre-Game:

Facebook contains an application called “Causes” where people can register to support the "Cruising for the Kids" cause. Players register and begin earning points in a number of ways: fundraising, recruiting, awareness, and “props” or positive outreach. The application tracks each individual’s progress. For each dollar raised, person recruited, and awareness reached, the team will earn points leading up to the event. On October 26th, the points will be tallied and the highest point earner will receive the first of 7 keys.

How Points are Earned:

Each team will need a digital camera to snap photos of the team accomplishing bonus missions along the way. The team will have to show the photos at the daily finish line to receive points.
In addition to bonus missions, each team will also need a smart phone with a free copy of "Tag Reader" app installed before the game begins. For missions and checkpoints, points will be earned and times monitored by finding and capturing tags along the route.
For more information about this software, visit http://tag.microsoft.com

How Points are Deducted:

At the starting line, all teams will be given a GPS tracking device that will monitor vehicle location and average speed. Between each daily checkpoint, the team will be issued a time window. If missions and bonuses are accomplished within the time window at speed limit, full points will be awarded. Points will be deducted for the following:
· Speeding. The amount of points deducted will be determined by the speed used to earn them.
· Arriving to a checkpoint earlier than the issued time window.
· Using a "hint" and/or "answer" to figure out clues.

The Race

To satisfy the need to speed, several USAC Sanctioned track challenges will be incorporated into the event. All competitors are eligible to compete on the track, regardless of skill level. The track challenges are designed in a way that more experienced teams will most likely do better, but even the novice will be able to safely navigate the course. Examples of track challenges are, but are not limited to:
· Closed Road Course
· Circle Track
· Autocross
· Drag Strip
· Dirt Track (alternate vehicles provided)
· Test Track (alternate vehicles provided)

The United States Auto Club will be administering all track challenges during the event.

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
A big THANK YOU goes out to Chris Marshall for making his donation to the event’s charity on the behalf of Viper Parts of America! In addition, thank you for providing the VCA logo artwork. The Dodge truck will be going to the graphics shop Monday morning, the club logos will prominently displayed!

On a personal level, I’m looking forward to the event and appreciate the opportunity to be a good ambassador for the VCA, promoting the positive spirit and passion of the Viper community. This is a great opportunity for the club to gain additional exposure!

Pre-event pictures to follow as soon as the graphics company has our team ride ready :)

Last edited:

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

If you donated to or joined the charity cause we’re raising money for in the last 5 days (since October 19[SUP]th[/SUP]), please send me an email or PM confirmation that you have. There’s been a problem with the Causes website and your support isn’t showing up under our team. We have to account for everyone properly and submit it to the organizers. I’m on the road to the start of the event now, currently in Montana with 500 miles to go toward Seattle. Please email me at [email protected]

So far, we’ve been able to raise $800, which goes to The Graham Rahal Foundation and CARA Charities. They distribute the funds to Alex’s Lemonade Stand Foundation for Childhood Cancer and the Association of Hole in the Wall Camps. I’d like to see us raise more for the charity and have a special way to say thanks to those of you that can give at least $35.

I’m sure all of you can reach back in your memories and capture a moment in time where you were an innocent, naïve, and full of life kid, taking each day in stride with no fear of what your future holds. Imagine a different childhood, one where each day is filled with pain and the reality that you don’t have the opportunity to be that innocent and full of life kid. It is a harsh, scary reality these kids and their families live with. The charities Roe Racing is rallying for are trying to give these kids a sample of what being a kid should really be all about. Help these kids escape the fear they live with day in and day out by helping us support these charities.

Roe Racing is asking you to give these kids some of their childhood back, give them the opportunity to create happy memories! Please click on the link below and make a donation. Your donation is tax deductible; you will receive an email verification identifying the charity and your gift amount. No donation is too small! Together we can make a huge difference.

https://www.causes.com/fb/donations...174786&cause_id=630274&recruiter_id=181247103

To ensure your gift is recognized please forward me the donation confirmation email you are sent. From now until 10am PST on Wednesday, October 26, each person who donates $35 or more will receive a free, limited edition Roe Racing, Autoweek ‘The America Adventure’ rally T-Shirt, just like what we’re wearing in the event, courtesy of Roe Racing (including the cost of shipping to you). It’s a 100% cotton heavyweight T and we’ll need to know your size when you forward us the email (S, M, L, XL or XXL). This is retroactive to those that have already donated as well.

Thank you for the allowing me the opportunity to share a great cause with you! I sincerely appreciate your support.

Sean
[email protected]

Last edited:

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thank you Jay and thank everyone who came through and supported the cause. We were able to raise the most for the charity, $2,875. The rally starts tomorrow morning. We'll have to use the internet and friends to help solve clues to indicate where we're going!

V

Venomiss

Hope to hear an update from the SEMA show Sean.

Congratulations on supporting a wonderful charity!

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I'm very proud to say that team Roe Racing won the 2011 Autoweek America Adventure presented by Mopar!!!!! We had some stiff competition from the likes of Graham Rahal, Tommy Kendall, other talented drivers and experienced rally teams, but points were totalled for all days and we took home first place! It was an incredible event! We're proud to have raised the money for charity and won it with a last minute entry driving the only truck in the event! It will be covered in Autoweek magazine and aired on the Discovery Channel.

Thank you to everyone in the VCA for their support!

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte