Check out this cool asian mountain test of a 92'

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Check out this cool asian mountain test of a 92\'

Looks to me to be a 92' or early 93' because of the rear antenna. This dude's got balls to be driving in this dangerous course as fast as he was going. He almost lost it at one point. Notice they modded the exhaust tips to point down, probably for decibal laws.

Play it in full screen, it's fairly cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGV6KqgS1BY&search=viper

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Check out this cool asian mountain test of a 92\'

Wow, You Tube is getting really popular. That was a great video. That slip was pretty funny but he looked like he really knew what he was doing. Anyone think his pedal action was a little weird? Never seen that before.

NHL2133

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Wow, You Tube is getting really popular. That was a great video. That slip was pretty funny but he looked like he really knew what he was doing. Anyone think his pedal action was a little weird? Never seen that before.

I'm thinking the "pedal action" you speak of was double-clutching. I've never seen it before, but if I had guess how it would look that would be it.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Did not really look like double clutching but I could be wrong. I was shocked by his braking action the most. Left foot always on the brake and when braking, he was braking really hard with both feet. Maybe for little sideways action with the pedal and brake? Who knows. Had some good driving either way!

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I miss my Gen 1 now! Thanks. :bonker:

What was up with the side lights, the turned down pipes, and the red tape on the speedo?

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I miss my Gen 1 now! Thanks. :bonker:

What was up with the side lights, the turned down pipes, and the red tape on the speedo?

The side lights are a European standard, and probably Asia and the rest of the world. The red tape looks like it is for the Redline and the turned down pipes might be a regulation as well.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

V8!

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score

He wasn't using 2 feet on the brake pedal. He was using the space between the brake and clutch pedals as a dead pedal.

I guess it's practical if you have a size 7 foot?

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

and why did they leave the seat belt fastened when getting in the car, the passenger side is not done?

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

and why did they leave the seat belt fastened when getting in the car, the passenger side is not done?

If I remember right, that is the way you are supposed to get into Gen-1's per the owners manual.

(But, I could be crazy! :eek: .)

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm thinking the "pedal action" you speak of was double-clutching. I've never seen it before, but if I had guess how it would look that would be it.

Yep, anyone who learned to drive on british non-syncro crash boxes double -clutch W/O even thinking. It was the only was to not grind up our gear boxes to metal shavings! It allows you to brake and match revs so downshifts are smooth as glass. It is a lost art for most street drivers..... but something road racers depend on.

OP
OP
K

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score

If I remember right, that is the way you are supposed to get into Gen-1's per the owners manual.

Correct, my 94' manual says to leave it buckled. Who the heck ever did that though??? It's hard enough to get in without it buckled.

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Correct, my 94' manual says to leave it buckled. Who the heck ever did that though??? It's hard enough to get in without it buckled.

It was how Dodge got around putting airbags in the cars. By having the seat belt such that it "could" stay fastened, it became an "active restraint".

KepRght

Enthusiast
Reaction score

using the brakes at the same time as modulating the gas helps from spinning out in certain circumstances

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score

He wasn't using 2 feet on the brake pedal. He was using the space between the brake and clutch pedals as a dead pedal.

I guess it's practical if you have a size 7 foot?

I totally missed that.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Wow. Can not believe they kept the belt fastened. Totally missed that too. Wow I was not observant!

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score

OK....can someone explain what "double clutching" is?

Push in clutch - shift out of gear into neutral

While in neutral, rev engine to match precisely the rpm of the next gear (usually by raising the RPM's for a downshift)

When RPM's are matched, shift into gear.

This is usually done while braking, so your right foot is on the brake pedal, you roll it to the right to push on the gas pedal while the clutch is held in (to raise the RPM's).

once RPM's are matched, shift down into the gear, let up on the clutch, and there is no RPM change as the gear is engaged.

You ask, what is the benefit? The rear tires are not going faster or slower than the "traction" thay have.... usually all this is timed so you are off the brakes and on the gas at the same time, with perfect grip..... and off you go, through the rest of the corner.

In the old days, we did it because there were no synchos in our gearboxes.... if you did not double clutch.... GGGRRRRRIIIIIIINNNNNDDDDD!

jrkermode

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I was taught "double clutching" on a formula ford (non-synchro). It was used only for down shifting and consisted of:
push in the clutch
shift into neutral
release the clutch
Blip the throttle
push in the clutch (the double in double clutch)
Push gently on the lever and let the gear select itself as the RPM's drop/match.

Double clutching also works on a synchro style tranny, especially when the tranny fluid is cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajya