Cherry bombs on Gen I ???

93Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all, as a temporary mod, I would like to replace stock mufflers with cherry bombs...all stock gen one. Any suggestions, comments??/
thanks, Mike

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL That's what I have. No cats and Cherry bombs for mufflers. They sound OK and there cheap.

My dyno numbers where pretty good with no cats, cherry bombs, smooth tubes, and K&N.

412 RWHP 472 RWT

Bo knows

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cherry Bombs? Are they still around? I put them on all my muscle cars in the 70's. With all the new technology & advancements in exhaust systems I think you might be able to find a better muffler than Cherry Bombs. I guess I'm really showing my age here!

Bo

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL - I AM OLD TOO! havent heard that word for quite some time!

i guess "flowmasters" are the "new" cherry bomb thesedays?

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have some Belanger mufflers on my 94. They look like cherry bombs to me.
I could have saved some money too.

ViperCrazed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The "BadA$$" mufflers of the mopar times. My dad has some on his 69 GTX and my truck with headers, no cats and flowmasters cant be heard when I idle next to it. :shocked:

Ratech

Enthusiast
Reaction score
by the way. has anyone ever put flowmasters on a viper?

I put Hushpower II on with high flow cats. No problems with installation. Slightly louder that stock. It sounds good.

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<< what are Cherry Bombs? >>

if you had cherry bombs on your car, cruised wearing your "Members Only" jacket, and had "Loverboy" cranked in the tape player, you were DA BOMB! :cool: ;)

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I remember blowing them apart on overrun! remember the thrush cans that were the steel ones. I put on on my moms torino when she was away on vacation, I still have the belt marks on my a$$ & that was 35 years ago!

ronniej

Viper Owner
Reaction score
:buttkick: You doh doh head. I don't care who you are, that there was funny. :D
I put on on my moms torino when she was away on vacation, I still have the belt marks on my a$$ & that was 35 years ago!

italian1nj

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Excuse the ignorance, but what are Cherry Bombs?

Man are you making me feel old. I had those bad boys on my first Road Runner. Geez was that a long time ago. Between reading this and trying to reveiw the 47 pages of Viper/chick photos I nee a nap. :(

New97owner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Basically, Cherry Bombs are what I have on my GTS. I tried everything to get the sound I want...but I came to the conclusion it was going to be impossible on the Viper. I LOVE this car and ADORE driving it more than any vehicle I haev ever owned, but I have to say that I have never been satisfied with the sound. Just after I bought the GTS, I put it on the racks, immediately deleted the cats, resonators,and stock muffler, and began trying different alternatives. I welded in straight pipes all the way..LOVED the idle! (97 lumpy cam) But when I accelerated..dear Lord..sounded worse than crap!. So I tried flowmasters. Was not satisfied at all. I ended up welding in a 12" glasspack at the front of the side sill where the cats used to be. That's' the best I could get (soundwise), but I am still not happy. :curse: But then it is the nature of the beast I suppose. I guess I am just from the "old school", wanting that deep, passionate growl...like they know 2 miles away whatever is coming is a bad ride! Many people want me to start it up..when I do, they say "boy, that's not what I expected!" I say I know...but it definately doesn't run like it sounds! ;)

BadVenm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tried everything to get the sound I want...

but I came to the conclusion it was going to be impossible on the Viper.

I have to say that I have never been satisfied with the sound.

but I am still not happy. :curse:

There is an answer! I felt the same as you, but I found what made ME happy.

Balenger (SP?) headers, no cats, Corsa Exhaust. It was all 3" stuff from the collector back. Leave both sets of resonators on the Corsa system. It was deep and it was loud! It was one that could be heard 2 miles away, just like you want to find.

Now that was on a car with massive head work, a HUGE cam, 3" modified air intake box, with 3" tubes, 70mm t-bodies, a bunch more, etc.... But it was THE BEST sounding Viper out there, best sounding as in it drew a crowd every time it was started.

So if you are bone stock, the headers, no cats and corsa, it may not sound the same, I can't say.

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is an answer! I felt the same as you, but I found what made ME happy.

Balenger (SP?) headers, no cats, Corsa Exhaust. It was all 3" stuff from the collector back. Leave both sets of resonators on the Corsa system. It was deep and it was loud! It was one that could be heard 2 miles away, just like you want to find.

Now that was on a car with massive head work, a HUGE cam, 3" modified air intake box, with 3" tubes, 70mm t-bodies, a bunch more, etc.... But it was THE BEST sounding Viper out there, best sounding as in it drew a crowd every time it was started.

So if you are bone stock, the headers, no cats and corsa, it may not sound the same, I can't say.

It was the BEST sounding Viper I have ever heard. :2tu:

ViperJames

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HAHAHAHA......I hope you are not married, because you wife will kick your $#@ everytime you come down the driveway! I remember my 69 Camaro with Cherry bombs and NO CATS....LOLOL You will definitely get pulled over for noise pollution. :headbang:

OP
OP

93Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks for the input folks, I appreciate your time..

Mike

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang