Chromalussion paint

bad viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone have the Dupont paint on a Viper???
Saw this paint on an Impala ss yesterday and
watched the car change colors as I drove by it
three times!! Not sure if I like that... but sure was a head turner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John Johns

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bad viper:
Anyone have the Dupont paint on a Viper???
Saw this paint on an Impala ss yesterday and
watched the car change colors as I drove by it
three times!! Not sure if I like that... but sure was a head turner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We have one from VOI5 on our Viper Club of Colo home page. Don't know who owns it. http://www.viperclub.org/regions/colorado/

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can't buy the Mystic paint from the Mustang. I believe it was BASF that made it, and to get some, you need to have a representative from BASF come to the dealer to inspect the damage to your Mystic Mustang and they will ship what they feel is an appropriate quantity to do repairs to the dealer.

Having said that, just about every paint manufacturer makes color changing paints now. I've heard that PPG's line is supposed to be good.

It is expensive, but I don't think it's $2500 a gallon. I think it might be about $150-250 a quart. I was going to have my bike done in it, and it was going to cost something like $800 for the materials, and I think that was 2 quarts of color and 2 quarts of clear.

I saw a Viper at VOI5 that was done in the color changing paint, and it looked pretty nice. Also, Bob Woodhouse's race car is done in some sort of color changing paint. He told me how they did it a while back, but I forgot. I think they mixed the color changing paint with something else to 'dilute' it. Bob's car has a pretty subtle effect - if you use 100% changing paint, the effect is dramatic. Bob's car just sort of shifts hues from blueish to a purplish tint or a greenish tint in certain light - looks nice!

ACR Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe Chris Barone of East Coast Performance (www.njracer.com) has one of his race cars painted with this product. Looks pretty radical; goes from green to purple to whatever.

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Bob Woodhouse had a dark blue paint that changed color on his race viper when he was in phx last year. It wasn't the Ford Mystic paint, but can't recall if it was Dupont.

Double Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ahhh, a topic that I am well familiar with. BASF did make the Mystic Color, and no you can't have it unless you bought a Mustang with it and need to re-paint.

PPG is called Harlequin, does a nice job of changing colors but doesn't seem to have the depth that Dupont has.

Duponts Chromalusion: Comes in multiple colors now covering the entire spectrum. Some of the most popular colors are the dark blue and the reds. The greens and purples are real radical.

The cost for Dupont is pricey. Roughly $280-to-$320 a pint. Add the catalyst and the reducer and your easily into the $350 plus range per pint.

This "Double Venom" picture (I hope) shows two shades of the red Chromalusion. At certain angles the stripe will totally disappear, other angles it stands up and screams out.

Just another note, do not let anyone tell you it can't be touched up or blended in. It is the easiest paint I have ever repaired. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.
DV

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
B

bad viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ed
If I were going to put one more dollar in the "money pit"
I would have you paint my car. You are if not the best "one of the top three"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Killer cars deserve killer paint schemes!!

Double Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wayne,

Well thank you. We do love custom cars! Like I've always said, "If it ever turns into a job, I quit!".
By the way, who the heck are the other two?

DV

Viperrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One of the club members in Illinois painted his Viper about 3 years ago with the chromillusion paint. The car was originally a red GTS and he put a magenta/purple/teal/gold paint on. Dupont rep was present during the painting process as this was the first application on a Viper. One year later the car was repainted as the colors were not as brilliant as expected. The car was stripped, painted black and then the coats of the Chromillusion paint added. You really need a black basecoat. If you want to talk to the owner than e-mail me for his phone number.

Rich H

Double Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rich,
Dupont has now come out with a numbered sealer or base coat for every Chromalusion color. Gets a little tricky with a multi-colored car, but time, care, patience and a little expertise will pay off in the end. No one said it was for beginners

The model II that we are finishing now will be multi colored Chromalusion colors. As of now it will be at least 3 different colors probably trimmed with a 4th. I'll post some pictures when we start if anyone is interested.
DV

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Actually, Chris Barone was the "artist" for the car...but Adel Elsayed is the owner. It's flip-flops from gold to green to purple and is awesome! ... but has to be a nightmare for the announcer at the track.... "here comes the gold....I mean green ... I mean purple Viper down the front staight" LOL

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Marv S:
Bob Woodhouse had a dark blue paint that changed color on his race viper when he was in phx last year. It wasn't the Ford Mystic paint, but can't recall if it was Dupont.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bob's is painted with BASF - they don't make the car, they make the car's paint look better!!!!

Matt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Spiderweb,

Do you have any pics of your car? I'd like to see some of the viper with the chomaillusion.

-Matt

Double Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Spider,
Got the calendar. Looks great

Sorry you had so many problems, but it sounds like you have the sequence down right this time! Post pics when it's done, please.
DV

Jaymz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A local guy has a 98 GTS painted Chromallusion. He also has "ghost" flames painted with the same paint. The flames are in the opposite color as the car. I'll see if I can get a pic and post it here.

Matt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All I can say is WOW!! Thanks for posting those pictures. That is one incredible paint job. I can only imagine how impressive it is to see in person.

Matt

nutsRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got my RT/10 back from having custom "flames". Used PPG Deltron 2000 cranberry/gold.

Reaction score
Hey Joe go to the picture at the bottom that you can not open and right click with your mouse and go to "Show Picture". It did the samething with me earlier this morning. GoodLuck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dale04SS