Clean Air Act

witz323

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm having a "race" PCM installed in my '04 and it says it's for off-road use only. Has anyone ever received a ticket for driving a an "off-road" use only PCM on the street? It seems highly unlikely, but I thought i'd see if it's happened. Fines can be up to $32,000!!!!! That is a serious penalty.

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In CA, the way it's enforced is they do a visual check (along with all the OBD and tailpipe checks) every couple of years as part of your registration, and if they see anything with a 'race only' sticker on it, you're screwed. Also, if you have any aftermarket devices installed that have anything to do with the emissions (anything to do with the fuel, exhaust or ignition) they look to see that it has an ARB number displayed. If no ARB number, they'll try and look up the device in their database, and if they can't find it or it shows that it isn't ARB certified, you're screwed.

I've heard of people getting pulled over because an officer saw smoke coming out of the tailpipe, or otherwise had probable cause to suspect that a car is a polluter. They can write you a ticket, but it's generally a fix-it type of ticket that requires you to go down to a referee station and have them visually inspect the vehicle and test it. By then, the parts in question somehow always seem to be gone...

OP
OP
W

witz323

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It says it in the 2009 Mopar parts catalog next to the PCMs. I downloaded a pdf version of the catalog today.

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unfortunately, a lot of states are planning to adopt CA Smog rules soon, and that's going to be a giant pain in the butt for many people. I can't say how much grief it's given me over the years... What's ironic is I can get screwed for running non-CARB headers on my Viper - but when they sniff the tailpipe, the air coming out is almost as clean as the air going in. But, I can take my '71 Firebird out and, even though you can barely breathe within ten feet of it (850 double-pumper set up to run a little rich on the primaries and moderately rich on the secondaries, obviously no cats), it's totally smog legal because pre-1976 cars are exempt.

I'm hoping someone spends the time and money to certify a set of headers to fit the Gen III and Gen IV cars - right now there doesn't seem to be anything out there, and I for one would like to install a set, but I'm not going to take the chance of having to deal with the smog nazis again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32