Cleaning back side of wheels

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have read a few threads on wheel cleaning and I am very comfortable with how the outside of the wheels are kept clean, but what about the back sides of them. I never have to wash my car so I would rather find another solution other than hosing them down. I am also trying to avoid removing the rims from the car if possible. Anyone have any solutions on how to take care of the back sides.

Bruce

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
OFF-CAR ONLY:

Stiff Brush, De-greaser detergent like DAWN, and or Brakleen on stubborn areas.

Be sure the fronts are well waxed/wet when using BRAKLEEN and Read BRAKLEEN LABEL WARNINGS....Im not 100% OK on the clearcoat issue, but I think its OK.....

I dont know any on-car, on-ground hints / ideas taht dont use water!!!!

Dave's Big Brakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well,

I remove my wheels at least every 2 weeks :omg:to clean and wax my Race Yellow Calipers & and clean the wheels w/ cold water only.:usa:

Let the stuff fall (I've got my umbrella):lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Big Brake Dave :drive:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wash my wheels as often as every outing using a garden hose and soap bucket. The car never gets wet because I don't spray water on the car. ;)

Also, I use 130 degree water and the insides of my wheels sparkle as I hose the snot out of them with the hot water.

Don't be afraid... :D

29OUTLAW

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I use this. Works good for keeping the barrels of the wheel clean. Obviously it won't reach the inside lip.

You must be registered for see images attach

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can get to them from underneath the car if you have a KwikLift. :dunno: This is what I usually do.

If not you are pretty much stuck doing it with soap and water and some type of wheel brush. I use a coffee *** cleaner for my wheel barrels when I wash it.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the backside has never been cleaned before you're in for a good workout. Remove the wheels, wash, scrub, rinse, repeat. I use Dawn, engine degreaser, wheel cleaner from Griots, HOT WATER (as Dave recommends) and a brush. You'll find that if you clean your wheels often, it gets easier. I do use wheel wax and have noticed a difference in less accumulated brake dust. Clean them often and your hard work will be rewarded. I clean them about every other month and after the initial first time cleaning it's become fairly easier.

Tere

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you don't have a lift...

RAMPS!

I use my ramps all the time, inside wheel cleaning included. Much easier than removing the wheels. I only remove the wheels for show prep and cleaning wheel wells and suspension.

One huge thing to make your wheel cleaning life easier is low/no dust brake pads -- Hawk Ceramic front and Hawk HPS rear and you'll be a happy camper. Only use those dusty race pads for the track. :)

silverz06vette

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are better off using a sealant like Zaino on your wheels as it will hold up better then a wax will.

After a good cleaning I use Zaino all in one which has slight/safe chemical cleaners in it to thoroughly clean the wheels and will provide a layer of protection. Apply a coat of zaino Z2/5pro after for extended protection.

After this treatment, you should just need to wash your wheels with your car wash soap and water. A wheel cleaner should not be required.

Tere

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are better off using a sealant like Zaino on your wheels as it will hold up better then a wax will.

After a good cleaning I use Zaino all in one which has slight/safe chemical cleaners in it to thoroughly clean the wheels and will provide a layer of protection. Apply a coat of zaino Z2/5pro after for extended protection.

After this treatment, you should just need to wash your wheels with your car wash soap and water. A wheel cleaner should not be required.
AMEN!!!

With Zaino treated wheels, the brake dust and road dirt don't stick and cake on. I use Z-6 detailing spray to clean up the wheels and calipers every week. Works like a champ! :)

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Remove wheels -- use Simple Green. Cleans immediately. Best all round cleaner I've found so far. Good for most anything. Any good chrome polish works for the outside. I use Never Dull, but have used several different ones over the years.

Steve

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I agree, I use Z2p or Z5p (whichever I am using at the time for the paint) and it works better than anything I have tried. The brake dust seems to just rinse right off with a little soap and water. If I ever have any stuck on brake dust like on wheels that have not beeen treated with Zaino I just use Z-AIO first and it removes it and leave a perfect base for applying a coat of the Z2p.

I put 2 coats of Z2p on my daily drivers winter wheels and when I pull them off in the spring thay wash right up. And this is after all winter of salt and cinders and snow etc... on top of the brake dust.

OP
OP
B

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the tips. looks like removing them is the best bet and most likely the fastest too.

Bruce

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Put your wheel on a floor jack. Measure from the center of the hub on the car down to the floor. Repeat this measurement on the tire/jack but leave low a tad. Center left to right on hub and roll her in. Tweak height and install. It also helps to have studs indexed at 12:00.

If you are removing each wheel individually use the jack to remove it and then w/o adjusting the jack roll it back.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Put your wheel on a floor jack. Measure from the center of the hub on the car down to the floor. Repeat this measurement on the tire/jack but leave low a tad. Center left to right on hub and roll her in. Tweak height and install. It also helps to have studs indexed at 12:00.

If you are removing each wheel individually use the jack to remove it and then w/o adjusting the jack roll it back.

makes too much sense,

thanks for the timely tips (planning on pulling wheels for the 1st time this weekend)):drive:

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Without taking the wheels off: This works if their not too dirty and greasy.

Get a long wooden spoon from the kitchen and a couple of old cotton socks.
Put the wooden spoon inside a sock and use this as a clean tool to get in between the spokes to the back of the rims.
Get in and around the brake calipers as best you can on all 4 wheels and then roll the car about about a foot and a half and clean to areas behind the calipers you couldn't get to.

Low tech/ low budget

OP
OP
B

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Without taking the wheels off: This works if their not too dirty and greasy.

Get a long wooden spoon from the kitchen and a couple of old cotton socks.
Put the wooden spoon inside a sock and use this as a clean tool to get in between the spokes to the back of the rims.
Get in and around the brake calipers as best you can on all 4 wheels and then roll the car about about a foot and a half and clean to areas behind the calipers you couldn't get to.

Low tech/ low budget

I am digging that option, may take a while but less intrusive to any other option so far.

Bruce

Dads Toy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
this is why I want a Viper, you owners take better care of your wheels than most people take care of their houses.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am digging that option, may take a while but less intrusive to any other option so far.

Bruce

It doesn't get the entire width of the rear wheel, but it gets as much as you can see.

I have taken the wheels off to clean before so the wooden/sock, touch-up does the trick.:2tu:

WOT!

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here it is :omg: Even has a Viper on the plastic bottle :D
Viper Wheel Wax

You must be registered for see images attach

In stock ready to ship, it's how I keep my Race Yellow Calipers clean :2tu:

Big Brake Dave :drive:
www.davesbigbrakes.com
858-382-4713 cell

I swear by this stuff.

If you haven't tried it, you should. Makes keeping those wheels clean easy. I even use it on the inside when I take my wheels off.

I also use a wheel cleaner form PS2. Works better than simple green, degreaser (I've tried several prefer the orange stuff the most), and other stuff I've seen suggested. You just spray this stuff on and watch it melt the crud. For stubborn spots I scrub a little bit.

BTW, I have white wheels on my 96 RT and they look good inside and out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21