Cleaning Wheels

ghengishahn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just purchased a 2003 SRT10 last night with 4300 miles. It is in like new condition. One thing I did notice is a bit of a baked on brake dust on something primarily on the back wheels.

I have searched the threads to see how to clean off. I needs something stronger than soap and water but am hesitant to be too agressive or abrasive. I guess what is it and how do you clean off.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind that the shiny surfaces of your wheels are clear coated if they are stock. You are correct in assuming that you need to be careful...no abrasives, no strong cleaners. I have usually used a soaking spray with Simple Green that I rinse off after 30 seconds then warm soapy water with a soft brush or wash mitt. In some caes, a little bug and tar remover is necessary. You really need to be careful of wheel's finish will dull. A good coat of Zaino helps to keep the dust/junk off the wheels...lately, I've have been using one application of Zaino CS (Clesrcoat Sealent)with great results.

AZVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Over the years I have tried just about everything,but this product works great on the back of the rims. It's called Oil Eater by Kafko International, 800-528-0334 @ oileater.com. It's safe and can even be used as a car wash. I use it full strength in a spray bottle, wait about 60 second and wash & wipe it off. I bought it at Checker for about $ 10 in a gallon jug. Then I use a product called Wheel Wax (wheelwax.com)to finish the rim. I don't wax the rims every time I clean them. Please let us all know how you made out.

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those 10 spokes are a nightmare for cleaning brake dust aren't they.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Gen. II BBS rims were a nightmare as well. The "H" spokes on my '08 are almost in the same ballpark.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon B sold me some wheel "paste". Darn I wish I could remember the name, but I put it on months ago (sort of a wax/paste like product) and forgot about it.

Next time I cleaned off my wheels, they cleaned up as if the dirt and dust just slid off! I was astounded how easy it was. Actually forgot that I had applied this product...but cleaning was SO ridiculously easy, I soon realized that it wasn't my special touch! LOL

It's SO worth it. Just apply it on like butter after you clean your wheels and buff it out. Good stuff for those that hate all that brake dust.

OP
OP
G

ghengishahn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am completely clean on the chrome side, so I pulled all 4 wheels and cleaned the backside. What a mess. Most of backside is un polished anyway. Anybody cleaned the back side or am I the only knuckle head. Any tips.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
"knuckle head" seems a little harsh! :)

Though washing a Viper is my second least favorite "maintenance" procedure (with changing coolant being my personal LEAST favorite) I do wash the wheels completely when I have them off for brake and/or lub jobs...easy enough to do at that point.

HSSSSSS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am completely clean on the chrome side, so I pulled all 4 wheels and cleaned the backside. What a mess. Most of backside is un polished anyway. Anybody cleaned the back side or am I the only knuckle head. Any tips.

I have a high pressure (2300 PSI) Karcher diesel fired hot water pressure washer with an envio friendly soap(smells like cherries) to wash inside rims. It has a bend in the wand about 3" from jet and cleans brake dust and grime right out. That way I don"t have to take rims off and can clean them every time I wash the Viper.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I used EBC 'RED' (ceramic) brake pads from JonB on both my Vipers and the wheels don't get brake dusted any longer!

I also clean and wax my wheels, inside and out.

Ted

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anybody cleaned the back side or am I the only knuckle head. Any tips.

I do them when the wheels are off which is usually once a year. As City posted, the wheel wax seems to last a while. You're perfectly normal. :D

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I'm very happy with the short and long term benefits of Zaino CS on our wheels...quick and easy one step application, great shine, less dust, and long lasting!!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang