Clear Bra question

viperbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I get a new Viper, I am considering putting a clear bra on it (on my wife as well) - should it be waxed first (the car that is)?

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, it should and then once the clear bra in installed, wax the clear bra as if you were waxing your car. The more the bra is waxed the longer it will last.

BADVENOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not ....The installers use benzene to prep the surface first before they adhere the 3M which as a glue on it.. wax would just be removed...Any good installer will properly clean the surface prior to adhesion..

Adam

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Q. How should surfaces be prepared before application of Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film?

A. All surfaces must be cleaned prior to film application. Be sure to use a cleaner that will not leave a residue, such as Windex. On repainted vehicles, paint must be thoroughly dry and completely cured before any attempt to apply film to the vehicle is made, in order to avoid film bubbling due to paint outgassing. Check paint manufacturer's instructions for recommended cure time and method. To clean your vehicle's surface 3M suggests 3M™ Adhesive Cleaners (3M Part #08984 or #08987), a specially blended solvent for removal of adhesive residue, wax, grease, tree sap, road tar, oil and bugs. It will not harm most thoroughly cured automotive paint, vinyls or fabrics when properly used.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Scotchgard-PPF/Home/

Nowayforya

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Newport Viper is absolutely correct. I have installed many ClearMask kits. The surface must be very clean and wax free. As far as waxing the material after installation, that’s up to the individual. I find that if you do, you will be able to see smudges from the wax in certain lighting conditions.

Check out this site for further information:
http://www.clearmask.com/
:2tu:

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Newport Viper is absolutely correct. I have installed many ClearMask kits. The surface must be very clean and wax free. As far as waxing the material after installation, that’s up to the individual. I find that if you do, you will be able to see smudges from the wax in certain lighting conditions.

Check out this site for further information:
http://www.clearmask.com/

It doesn't look like they have any Viper kits.

Nowayforya

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GT,
Yes, they carry Viper kits for all three generations. I have two here in my shop now ready to be installed.
On the website opening page, select STORE in the upper right hand side of the page. From there you can select, year, make and model.
If you still have problems, call Toll Free 1-866-925-3276. Ask for Mike or Jim, they will be happy to help you. Good folks!

Dave Moore

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I went to the clearmask.com site and noticed that they are marketing 3 different levels of clear bra. "Aerogard, Aerogard Ultra, and clearmask AR. I read the product discriptions, but is it marketing hype or is there a vast difference in these products. Has anyone seen any of these?
Dave

Nowayforya

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave,
I have installed both Aerogard and AR. on several different makes and models of cars, including 9 or so Vipers. I have Aerogard on my Viper and AR on my son's Viper and wife's T-Bird.
Both probucts are very good and provide the same level of protection. The AR is much easier to install and what I would recommend if your not an experienced installer and intend to install it yourself.
I would be more than happy to share my experience with Aerogard, Aerogard Ultra, and Clearmask AR and the installation of same if anyone would wish to contact me.
Send me a PM and I will provide my phone number.
Hal

trainville

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Maybe you could do a write-up and include a few pics in the Illustrated Upgrades tab. I'd like to see what all is involved. I'm in the process of putting vinyl stripes on a GTS and man........what a pain.

Nowayforya

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is an installation video that can be seen at this link.
http://www.clearmask.com/installation_videos.php
When you buy a kit, they send you a complete and detailed installation video and application kit.
As with everything, there is much more involved in the process than can be explained in text.
If you will send me your email address, I will be more than happy to send you pictures of some of my installs. I find it is much better to explain things verbally than to try and write about it.
My email address is [email protected]
I will warn you though, the installation process is much more difficult than putting vinyl graphics on.
Hal

Dave Moore

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Hal,
Thanks for the info. I won't be installing this myself. It is too important to get right for me to go at it for the first time. I'm getting references from other local viper guys as to where to have it done. This is supposed to last a few years so the cost of a pro install spead out over those years is money well spent. Wish you were closer you sound like you know your stuff.
Dave

BADVENOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just so you know the place I went to actually guarantees the 3M product to the point that if it discolors, peels or rips they will reinstall new for free..

Adam

Nowayforya

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A 5 year warranty is standard on most kits but some manufactures give more. Usually installation is not covered under the warranty, just the replacement of the material by the manufacture.
Normal installation will take about 3 hours for the front bumper, hood, fenders and mirrors. Kits are usually offered in two or more sizes. Buy the large kit that offers the most protection.
You should be looking at between $750.00 to $850.00 but I have heard of some locations getting as much as $1,200.00 plus for the kit and installation.
Inspect the installation closely before paying. Make sure there are no foreign particles under the material and no work marks in the material. Small water bubbles under the material are common, they will disappear during the cure period.
A very clean work area is an absolute necessity. If the shop is not really clean and dust free, find you another installer.
You should be able to drive away after installation with no waiting period. Wait 24 hours before washing your car. It will take 4 to 6 weeks for the kits to completely cure, depending on the weather in your location.
If anyone has any questions, please feel free to contact me. I will be more than happy to share my experience.
Hal