Clutch Fluid Change?

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pulled the car out to let it warm up and circulate fluids. When I went to pull it back in the garage the clutch felt mushy and when I started to let it out the car lerched forward and stalled. I pumped the pedal to regain resistance and got it back in the garage. When I went to pull the cap off the reservior I noticed fluid had been leaking out around the cap. The fluid is also Olive Drab Green Brownish in appearance. Obviously needs changed since it hasn't been before and the car has 18,000 plus miles on it in the 18 months I have had it. Question though, I recently did a full cat delete and don't know the clutch line locations, so could it be boiling :dunno: Anyway, if someone has the repair manual and can pdf the section for changing the clutch fluid, bleeding the system etc it would be most appreciated.

OP
OP
F

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay - bump again. No responses yet, so I'll figure it out on my own. I have rack space at a friends tomorrow. I'll let you guys know how it turns out, the how hard it is to do by ourselfs etc. Also plan to change the trasmission fluid too while doing the clutch fluid, the diff was just done so won't be doing that. Anyway, have a good one and I'll keep you posted.

VAViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pulled the car out to let it warm up and circulate fluids. When I went to pull it back in the garage the clutch felt mushy and when I started to let it out the car lerched forward and stalled. I pumped the pedal to regain resistance and got it back in the garage. When I went to pull the cap off the reservior I noticed fluid had been leaking out around the cap. The fluid is also Olive Drab Green Brownish in appearance. Obviously needs changed since it hasn't been before and the car has 18,000 plus miles on it in the 18 months I have had it. Question though, I recently did a full cat delete and don't know the clutch line locations, so could it be boiling :dunno: Anyway, if someone has the repair manual and can pdf the section for changing the clutch fluid, bleeding the system etc it would be most appreciated.

This link below provides and execllent write up on clutch fluid, when and how to change it.

Clutch_Care

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I doubt your fluid is "boiling" from the cat delete. Generally things run a little cooler without the cats. Check the placement of the line when you re-run it. I know on the Gen II's the line runs close to the headers, realatively anyway. These kinds of fluids need to be used a cycled. As for the leak.... best to check all the caps and lines every week or so depending on how much you drive it. Gen I and II guys need to check the power steering fluid cap as much as possible. Vent tubes are great to avoid disaster.

Hope this helps a lil bit... good luck with the bleed on the clutch.

:usa:

adg44

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd have to add, be careful when you are sucking out the old clutch fluid that you don't remove so much that air gets in through the resevoir.

Isn't there a bleeder valve on the clutch slave cylinder somewhere and then just use a pressure bleeder? That's how I've done it on all my previous cars.

And here was the brake fluid from my R32 after only a year:

You must be registered for see images

Motul 5.1 is a great brake fluid, btw. I may very well use that in the Viper when I flush the system in a couple weeks.

And as for a syringe, you can just use a turkey baster to **** out the old fluid.

- Anthony

OP
OP
F

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, got the car on the lift. Although insulated the line was right on and next to and strapped to one of the header downcombers. Not now. Evacuated the system with a pump, no air in system and filled with clean fluid. Life is good again, All I can say about the leak is that I think the cap was loose. Don't know for sure, I'll keep an eye on it.

OP
OP
F

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
***???

Did someone fill your system with Shiner Black Lager???

That stuff turns green in the toilet. I can only imagine in an SRT!!!

:lmao::lmao::lmao: Could be. Seriously though I think the discoloration was from cooking the fluid.

adg44

Enthusiast
Reaction score
***???

Did someone fill your system with Shiner Black Lager???

That stuff turns green in the toilet. I can only imagine in an SRT!!!

Yeah, it was really odd. I noticed little pieces of debris in the reservoir, so I flushed the system and that's what came out and what it looked like after it settled. We determined it was most likely corrosion or some other dirt leftover in the brake system from when it was new. After I flushed it, it never came back.

- Anthony

OP
OP
F

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, it was really odd. I noticed little pieces of debris in the reservoir, so I flushed the system and that's what came out and what it looked like after it settled. We determined it was most likely corrosion or some other dirt leftover in the brake system from when it was new. After I flushed it, it never came back.

- Anthony

Umgh..I might have missed something in the posts above. But we are talking about the clutch fluid not brakes. Anyway, there is a bleed screw right above the slave. Should have did pics and a how to, but didn't. Sorry, but it is easy. Hooked up a evac pump up to the bleed fitting, sucked all the old fluid out while filling with new. Then to be sure, disconnected the evac pump and pumped and bled. And rerouted the line away from the hot pipes before changing the fluid........piece of cake guys.

adg44

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry - I should have clarified. That picture above is the brake/clutch fluid from my R32. On that car they share the same reservoir, not separate ones like on the Viper. Clutch and brake fluid are the same thing anyway.

Even though you guys made fun of me for my last how-to, I'll use my pressure bleeder and flush the clutch system and take some pics while I'm doing it. ;)

- Anthony

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This link below provides and execllent write up on clutch fluid, when and how to change it.

Clutch_Care

Read through article, looks like an easy top side procedure. Has anyone tried this or have any thoughts good or bad about clutch fluid maint this way?

Thanks

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry - I should have clarified. That picture above is the brake/clutch fluid from my R32. On that car they share the same reservoir, not separate ones like on the Viper. Clutch and brake fluid are the same thing anyway.

Even though you guys made fun of me for my last how-to, I'll use my pressure bleeder and flush the clutch system and take some pics while I'm doing it. ;)

- Anthony

...it's fun to make fun!

a how too on bleeding the clutch hydraulics is a little more interesting than and oil change how to ;) ...most people don't have a pressure bleeder though:2tu:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4