clutch pads wore after 38k miles?

justingeer82

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i just went on a 400 mile trip. when i got to my destined city i noticed my gen 1 squeaks in the transition between the clutch being engaged or disengaged. it doesnt squeak when pressed in and only squeaks until the clutch is engaged.
it does not slip nor has it ever made this noise before. nothing seems out of the ordinary. i dread the thought of pulling my transmission out but i have dabbled with the idea of getting a newer gen engine/tranny and putting in mine for kicks. im hoping after the car cools down the squeak goes away. any other possibilities other than the clutch discs?

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Squeak? Not sure where you're going with this. If the clutch isn't slipping,... the "squeak" is coming from something else I'd say.... Linkage?? If the drives fine it is fine. Old cars have quirks.

RapidTransit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does your brake pedal move at all when you push the clutch? It could be the pedal assy wearing out. Mine did....

OP
OP
J

justingeer82

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i ran the car after letting it cool for hours and im sure its the throw out bearing. while idling i can push the clutch in and after a given number of seconds the squeaking starts. such a critical and fragile bearing for sure. i was hoping it could have been something as simple as dust buildup. i assume its been going bad for a while given a distinct noise i have heard since i bought it. it became more prominent like a rattling bearing. after 400 miles of being in place may have caUsed a final seizure.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32