code reader

Bristolrover

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi, I got a check engine light so bought a Memoscane CANOBDII U581. Looks the same as the viper store unit, the deluxe model for $130 . When I plug it in to the viper it doesn't even light up the screen, with or without the ignition on. It works fine on my other 4 cars. I have an '06 but I use a 03 workshop manual from my last car. It says to use a OBDIII. I don't get it as all the posts on this site say it should work. Am I doing something wrong?....Thanks for any help

Last edited:

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Check fuse to your data link port. Factory manual refers to . D R B III...which is the propriety tool for Chrysler at that time.

VPRPWRD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have seen before where the DLC has a shorted or broken wire to it and will not power up the device. Do you happen to have a handheld tuner by chance to test the DLC?

OP
OP
B

Bristolrover

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips guys. Yes it was a fuse after all. Can't imagine why that would have blown, maybe as I was plugging in. The code PO455 read EVAP Emission control system control leak (large). I don't know where to start looking for that. I did replace the gas cap a while back and it's not as good as the OEM cap. That could be leaking. I have to get it smoged very soon. I was thinking if I clear the codes adjacent to the smog station they might not show during the test...Is that wishful thinking?

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That won't work. The readiness monitors will be reset when you clear the code. Car will have to be driven for a few days prior to taking it in for emissions testing.

OP
OP
B

Bristolrover

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for that info...But if it wasn't the gas cap then I guess the check engine light will come back on anyway. Hopefully it doesn't. How many miles are we talking about. Will a 100 be enough?

VPRPWRD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Typically 100 miles will be sufficient to set the readiness monitors. There are tricks to get them to set faster, such as light throttle tip in around speeds of 45 mph, followed by running the speed up to 65 and allowing the car to decel to around 45 mph. I have had success getting monitors to set in as little as 25 miles using these tactics.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang