WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you know what your doing.:D I love it when the temps drop here in the
northeast in November. I like driving my viper this time of year because it
can be alot of fun but you need to be REALLY CAREFULL. In no way am I
saying go out and see how fast you can go. For me its fun to be able to slide
the car around a bit knowing my and the cars limits. I will say I do it at low
speeds and only in first gear in wide open areas with no objects to encounter. :drive:
Do I dare ask if anyone else feels the same way.:dunno:

All I can say is I for one like Cold Tires with low temps, AT LEAST FOR A BIT.:D

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A Gen 4 in the cold weather can spell big trouble as evidenced by the fact that so many were wrecked last winter.(ALL top end power )

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was just saying the same thing in another thread. IF you know how to handle your car it can be the most fun you can have in a car to let it slide around a bit. However for those that don't have the experiance on the track should never try it on public roads and even then not when there are other cars nearby.

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
oh absolutely true. was not an experience thing in my case, was a **** reaction to avoid an animal. can't toy around on va public roads, they will impound your car quicker then you can spell it.

Limit

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I hear ya. Took mine out today here in Wisconsin. Gave some kids of a friend of mine a ride and even with new PS2's, I could very easily break from the ground.

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've done some nice drifting moves in cold weather, including 180's...
Not fun to look at the oncoming traffic through your windshield .....:eek:

This year I'll skip the drifting. Have fun guys, but be careful.

ROE + NOS + Cold weather = Trouble.:crazy2:

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its funny my heavily modded Gen 2 (with its lower ended power )was much less of a handful to drive in the cold than my 08 even though they both make about the same power.In the 08 ALL BREAKS loose at about 5 grand -the car is all over the road.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They sure like to **** in that cold air though......power boost!

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
whats the deal with that anyway??? I love my 08 dont get me wrong, but I have more fun in my 94 because I am not always worried about what it will do. Its not that the 08 has too much power it just doesn't react like the other gens. It seems tighter to the road than the gen 1- 3 but once it goes... it goes.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
whats the deal with that anyway??? I love my 08 dont get me wrong, but I have more fun in my 94 because I am not always worried about what it will do. Its not that the 08 has too much power it just doesn't react like the other gens. It seems tighter to the road than the gen 1- 3 but once it goes... it goes.
I think it stems from the powerband on the 08 as basically everything hits up top at a greater rate of speed..The other night in 45 degree weather the car was scarey uncontrollable when it came on the cam in second gear.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got just a bit sideways today driving the same way I always do around a favorite uphill turn. It was more interesting than frightening because I was thinking about the temps while I was accelerating.

It was a good reminder!

MarkRx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Almost lost it last time I took it out because of cold tires.

I went out for a quick run on some back roads and took a corner a bit quick about 2 weeks ago. The back end came right around without me expecting it and I got super close to curbing one of my HREs. It probabley looked cool, but I can assure you my heart stopped beating.

After that run I put it in the bubble and itll hibernate till spring.

Be careful.

Grant

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The comments here are interesting, because my stock '08 ACR is the most stable-feeling car I've ever driven under wheelspin. The only time its ever stepped out on me is on a damp, ~50F surface. Usually it just spins and remains straight, or very slightly drifts one direction or another.

I've never lost traction in 2nd in the dry. It doesn't seem to put the power down quite as well as my C5 on NT-01s did, I'd imagine thats mostly due to tires (the NT01s are much better when cold).

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Funny you should mention this, I looped my '08 Saturday. Leaving the Leake collector car auction. I was all pumped up from the sounds, sights, and smells of the classic iron and I goosed it(just a little too hard) on STONE COLD tires and did a 180 faster than you could say insurance claim! Now, I have been racing for 10 years and usually have pretty good car control, but I got lucky, plain and simple. I came to a rest facing the other direction without touching a thing!

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its definately somthing in relation to the powerband on the 2008s ABOVE 5000 RPM.As i mentioned earlyier my old modded Gen 2 made about the same rwhp as my 08 but was much more friendly and predictable .

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4