Color Rar

VenomGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, I hear a lot of opinions on color rarity, and when there is a $20,000 swing in price just from color differences it is an interesting subject. Like the blue GTS with white stripes was made 96-97 with production numbers of 2128?, but am I wrong to say the only year the GTS was built in black was 2000, And only 273 were built? As well not sure how many had stripes and how many did not... :smirk:

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Honestly, you're looking way too deep into it. The Viper is rare as it is. If you break it down by exterior color, with whichever interior color, with or without stripes, etc, it just becomes less and less relevant to me.
If you have seen a $20k swing based on nothing but color, you've definitely seen something I haven't. Sure, a b/w might bring a little more that the common red, but not by a huge difference.

OP
OP
V

VenomGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The relevance to me is values... #1 it's about the driving experience, however who doesn't consider what something they own is worth? I am basically trying to find out if my information is correct...

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your # of 273 black GTS's in 2000 sound right, but I'm not positive. However, don't plan on getting 10x the value of a b/w just b/c there's 10x less out there. A b/w is considered the classic GTS combo thus commanding a premium. Nowhere near $20k though. Also, 00' is the year that some stay away from due to it being the only year with cast pistons and no ABS. Fair or not, its a stigma the 00' cars have had for a long time.

OP
OP
V

VenomGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If ABS, "Training wheels" are important then you would stay away from any Viper produced before 01 because that was the first year applied. As for the cast pistons, you could easily add another 200 hp to the car without issues, how many cars will have a 1000 hp anyway? Not interested... But as for color, again what I believe is the year 2000 was the only year the GTS was built in black...

BlackSnake99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OP
OP
V

VenomGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Public stigma is also interesting because the reason these early cars did not have traction control or ABS is because the designers did everything they could to keep it off until the government finally forced they're hand, such is why I personally wanted the last real Viper, "To me anyways" in the 2000... I suppose all of this is an attempt to tell the future of current children desires in years to come...

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, I hear a lot of opinions on color rarity, and when there is a $20,000 swing in price just from color differences it is an interesting subject. Like the blue GTS with white stripes was made 96-97 with production numbers of 2128?, but am I wrong to say the only year the GTS was built in black was 2000, And only 273 were built? As well not sure how many had stripes and how many did not... :smirk:

From the Viper Buyer's Guide...

GTS
1999 Black, 333 (130 with Silver stripes)
2000 Black, 273

It sounds like you're trying to convince us that a blue/white is worth $20K more...maybe 100 years from now. ;)

If ABS, "Training wheels" are important then you...

...and that ABS is for girly men. :rolleyes:

I'm not a viper purist, I have zero want for keeping a viper stock or for a blue/white GTS...but a black/flat black would be awesome.

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From the Viper Buyer's Guide...

GTS
1999 Black, 333 (130 with Silver stripes)
2000 Black, 273

It sounds like you're trying to convince us that a blue/white is worth $20K more...maybe 100 years from now. ;)

...and that ABS is for girly men. :rolleyes:

I'm not a viper purist, I have zero want for keeping a viper stock or for a blue/white GTS...but a black/flat black would be awesome.

1999 Matte Black Viper 1 of 1:omg: that I know of!

OP
OP
V

VenomGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Which is exactly my point... LifeIsGood, I don't understand how a four year older car that they made 2128 b/w can be worth more then a solid black car four years later and only 273 were made... I have a feeling that prices are going to change in the future to show true production information. We really need more detailed information online for newcomers to access true production numbers to help values... Especially as the GenV approaches... and by the way Life I own a 00 GTS... :)

PS: Case in point, they made black GTS's in 99???

OP
OP
V

VenomGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1953 - 2003 Corvette Production

Ah, ok so the resource here has graphs that are not up to date, however written below the graph for this year reads, 77 black and 23 black with stripes in 99...

Someone really needs to clean all that up, because one of the reasons such cars as the 69 Camaro are sky rocketing in price is the easy access of information online for production numbers...

BlackSnake99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1953 - 2003 Corvette Production

Ah, ok so the resource here has graphs that are not up to date, however written below the graph for this year reads, 77 black and 23 black with stripes in 99...

Someone really needs to clean all that up, because one of the reasons such cars as the 69 Camaro are sky rocketing in price is the easy access of information online for production numbers...

Numbers don't matter. We all know black ones are the fastest.

SlateEd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Honestly, you're looking way too deep into it. The Viper is rare as it is. If you break it down by exterior color, with whichever interior color, with or without stripes, etc, it just becomes less and less relevant to me.
If you have seen a $20k swing based on nothing but color, you've definitely seen something I haven't. Sure, a b/w might bring a little more that the common red, but not by a huge difference.

Ditto! If wishing made it so, my 1 year color would be worth far more than other gen III 'verts... sadly, not going to happen. Every Viper is "limited" already - color doesn't seem to make too much difference.

OP
OP
V

VenomGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SlateEd, you may have a point... However I have owned several 69 Camaros, and several other years along with Trans Ams, as well friends with Mustangs... It appears as time goes on what is driving prices is information online... Would love to see the VCA put out some official information such as easy to read charts that would be first to pop up on searches to show accurate information showing the rarity of our cars, and that they are just as you said... I am a new owner and have to say, I LOVE MY VIPER... :)

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You're confusing low production/rarity with desirability and they are decidedly different.
There are many nice colors.
But the B/W is the iconic color on a GTS.
Period.

Last edited by a moderator:

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I am not sure that the difference is quite 20g but color does have a lot to do with pricing on the Gen II GTS and RT10 IMHO. You will probably get a lot of red owners that will beg t differ but I know when I was looking for either Graphite/Silver (60) or Sapphire/Silver (86) they were definitely asking a premium compared to the more common color combo's or red ones.

72hemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While production numbers will play a role long term in value and collectability at the end of the day even though they far out paced most colors the 96-97 (especially the 96) B/W will be have the most value (not taking into account the 98 GT2's or the 3 W/B 96 Coupes). Whether you like the color or not (personally its my favorite combination) GTS Blue with white stripes is the iconic GTS color combination, as is red for the R/T 10.

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Red/Black two tone '98 GTS... 1 of 1. ;)

Changing red to blue in the future, we need the GO before the SHOW.

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i agree they will be worth more, its my second favorite color combination, first is red with white so the lower price on these works in my advantage if I want to buy one in the future :D

While production numbers will play a role long term in value and collectability at the end of the day even though they far out paced most colors the 96-97 (especially the 96) B/W will be have the most value (not taking into account the 98 GT2's or the 3 W/B 96 Coupes). Whether you like the color or not (personally its my favorite combination) GTS Blue with white stripes is the iconic GTS color combination, as is red for the R/T 10.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The issue of color is quite an interesting one, and it is the number focus with most customers. A 20K spread is somewhat out of the realm, but a 5K difference between a 97 Red GTS and a 97 Blue/white is quite common. This is considered by many to be the classic color combination, and even though it is a yea rolder, a 96 will usually bring even more money as the " First Year," model.

To discuss Black , the fact that a coupe was only done 2 years is not as important in that black is one of the most common colors over the years -- hence there are quite a few of them. Colors often become high demand when they were done for only one year and maybe never repeated. Vipers as a whole are rare, as previously noted, but color can make a difference and often it is just a simple case of supply and demand.

Viper Violet would be a good example. If someone wants a car in that hue, it was only done in one year so the pickings could be scarce. Sapphire Blue in the Gen IIs has a similar following, with low numbers for a single year color.

With around 27,000 built , Vipers are a unique sight for anyone -- there are just not many of us out there who own these phenomenal machines.

troybax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I was looking to buy earlier this year I was focusing on B/W. I did seem to notice a premium on them. I decided on a Red one with yellow wheels which is pretty rare but seems like they are not very desirable. So for my price range I paid alot less and got a much nicer car then I think I could have with a B/W for same money. I'm very happy with my decision.

OP
OP
V

VenomGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To discuss Black , the fact that a coupe was only done 2 years is not as important in that black is one of the most common colors over the years -- hence there are quite a few of them. Colors often become high demand when they were done for only one year and maybe never repeated. Vipers as a whole are rare, as previously noted, but color can make a difference and often it is just a simple case of supply and demand.

Just for a thought I would like to consider something. I am a new Viper owner, so in my search I wanted the GTS coupe because I prefer the body style. I wanted pre 01 because I did not want traction control or ABS. My two choices in color were black and blue/white in that order.

So right off you notice a new shopper has more interests then just color, and so when I narrowed down the years I would only buy, color became a huge issue, "comparably". The black in my car was actually a lot more difficult to find...

Just saying... :eater:

72hemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
while wanting ABS brakes or not is a factor now for buyers, 30 years from now when these cars are sought after like cobras and hemi cudas collectors main factor will be color since for the most part there are no options like automatic vs manual, power steering vs manual, manual vs power windows, etc. etc.

Now I am not saying that no one will want the other colors, just that the highest priced will most likely be the B/W, along with ACR's and limited editions.

At the end of the day I am just glad that I am privileged enough to own one, and hope to buy several more in the future.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte