Color Rar

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Color does play a role, but much like Bill said, there are iconic Viper color combinations that command a slight premium, despite production numbers. For example, if I asked you to list 5 Vipers that if you displayed in a museum-like scenario at racing events, which 5 Vipers would you likely choose? Likely a '92 of course in Red, a 96 blue/white coupe, plus one other Gen II, one Gen III and one Gen IV and each of those would be infinitely debatable on this forum.

I own an '02 ACR in Graphite and it was a one year color like '01's Sapphire Blue, until '09 came along, when Graphite was back ('10 as well). My hope is that the 2013 Viper will come in Sapphire Blue once again since it has quite a following despite some low production numbers.

If it were me in charge of this museum-like scenario, I'd fill out the other three cars with the following:
Gen II - '01 Sapphire Blue ACR
Gen III - '06 Snakeskin edition convertible
Gen IV - '08 Red ACR to represent the "Ring" record car
And every single person here would likely name a different set of 5 Vipers....

I believe you'll see years and years from now that the Viper won't matter so much on color, but which edition it was RT/10(ver), Coupe or ACR. There are also Viper racecars as well.....Corvette racecars with winning history are very expensive, so which of the Viper racecars that are not owned by Chrysler will be the most valuable going forward?

Regards,
Aaron

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Years from now we wont be able to drive these 10cyl beasts!! Enjoy it while you can! Who cares about the color, you can change it if you want... "Pfft, that wasn't made in blue/black, pfft" <- Lamers

OP
OP
V

VenomGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
while wanting ABS brakes or not is a factor now for buyers, 30 years from now when these cars are sought after like cobras and hemi cudas collectors main factor will be color since for the most part there are no options like automatic vs manual, power steering vs manual, manual vs power windows, etc. etc.

Now I am not saying that no one will want the other colors, just that the highest priced will most likely be the B/W, along with ACR's and limited editions.

At the end of the day I am just glad that I am privileged enough to own one, and hope to buy several more in the future.

#1, one thing is for damn sure that we all agree upon, we are all lucky and privileged to own one of the most incredible items in the world! "I typed a lot of very colorful adjectives and erased them because we all know they are endless describing our cars."

However I will point out one thing only because I love the discussion... I've owned several 69 Camaros over the last 20 years and there is no other car I know more about. Cars over time are desired by they're options. So since auto-manual is not an option, the desire in searches will be for options that do exist, such as traction control or not, ABS or not, and color... As we all are aware the different gens will be priced differently because of mainly body style...

Obviously ACR's, Racecars, w/b, will bring a premium, but still I say if there is a way to pull all the info together and show true production numbers in an easy to use scale this will assist in the appreciation of our one in 27,000 rides...

Remember, they built 243,085 1969 Camaros, thats one year...

Last edited:

vipertanz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Which is exactly my point... LifeIsGood, I don't understand how a four year older car that they made 2128 b/w can be worth more then a solid black car four years later and only 273 were made... I have a feeling that prices are going to change in the future to show true production information. We really need more detailed information online for newcomers to access true production numbers to help values... Especially as the GenV approaches... and by the way Life I own a 00 GTS... :)

PS: Case in point, they made black GTS's in 99???

It is not about production numbers but supply and demand and when people think of the viper it will always be the B/W. Hence more demand and larger price.

OP
OP
V

VenomGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is not about production numbers but supply and demand and when people think of the viper it will always be the B/W. Hence more demand and larger price.

I personally don't believe that will be so. The kids that were born in 1996 will not have the same nostalgia as we might now, associating the connection with the Cobra coupe. Just as kids today don't necessary want a green Mustang because of the movie Bullet, but at that time it was iconic. Pure production numbers should take over in values as time progresses...

Of course this is all just fun and what ifs and who knows kinda stuff, but interesting to explore...

72hemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am one of the younger owners and when the coupe came out in 96 I was 13 and I fell in love with the b/w combination, and did not correlate it to the shelby daytona coupes (even though I was aware of them at the time). That color combination is iconic to the Viper GTS coupe which is why I feel it will command a higher premium even though its production numbers were higher than many other colors.

On a personal note I hope I am wrong, because I want to own a 96 coupe one day and want to get it cheap :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte