Colorado: I'm going to need some help with roads

white out

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I am running to Vegas on my way to San Diego, leaving the first dry day after Dec 25th. I am aiming for it to be a 20 hour drive (google is claiming 30 hour), so I need to average around 95mph. After doing a few cross country road rallies, that shouldn't be too big of an issue. :headbang:

GR to Vegas - Google Maps

Now here's the kicker, the quickest route is the 80 to the 70, through the mountains. Which wouldn't be an issue in most vehicles. Unfortunately I am going to be in the Viper. :eek2:

I can drive it in snow, but it can't be deep or it needs to be ruts so that I can bounce the car between them and stay on the highway. :omg:

I need some help in regards to the current weather on the 70 around the 26th or 27th of December. So that I can bail south or speed up, depending on the weather.

Anybody down to help?

Nick

Last edited:

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's Colorado so it is a crap shoot. The mountains have been getting pounded with snow this year but the front range has seen none and has been 50s to 70s thus far. Weird year. I would go all the way down to Albuquerque and over if I was you. Colorado mountains are no place for the Viper in the winter.

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's Colorado so it is a crap shoot. The mountains have been getting pounded with snow this year but the front range has seen none and has been 50s to 70s thus far. Weird year. I would go all the way down to Albuquerque and over if I was you. Colorado mountains are no place for the Viper in the winter.

What he said. As I write this, I-70 is currently closed between Silverthorne and Vail (40 miles of road) because of a winter storm...it can also be closed from time to time from too many accidents at one time :omg:.

You can use this site to get up to the second web cams of the current conditions...

Colorado Department of Transportation Road Conditions

...just click on the camera icons. You can scroll through the area on the right side of the screen to get I-70 updates.

OP
OP
W

white out

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yeah, that's why I wanted to be able to contact people in the area while I'm driving out (I don't trust the forecast). So I can shoot down if the 70 is getting pounded.

Nick

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like that your screen name is "white out".

In CO you have an 80% chance of it being a total blizzard, and an 80% chance of it being clear but cold.
Of course, that can all reverse in less than 20 minutes.

CO-DOT does a good job of keeping roads clear, but they can not protect you from the idiot in the car in front of you.
The salt and gravel trucks will do wonders for your paint.

It is unlikely that you will be doing 95mph after the front range (Denver to Grand Junction).

I don't think CSP rolls the Mustangs in the winter (they'll do over 150mph; I've seen it), but the radio will get ya. :)

OP
OP
W

white out

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My car has 3M clear bra. So the paint will be okay and I will not be close to the vehicle in front of me (I like my car).

I wasn't planning on doing 95 through the pass (or when I stop), but MI, IL, IA, NB, CO (to Denver) and after the mountains can make up for it, to set the average. But my goal is 100% dependent on weather.

Nick

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No problem. Run some good Hoosier DOT slicks for best time and mileage. The snow thing is greatly exaggerated in CO, and the SP gives Mich plates free passes. ;)

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Best is to pick your trip route just before leaving.

A quick check of the weather map the morning you are leaving should easily make the decision for you.

In that area things change fast.

Gotta be a little flexible.

Hope you have a fantastic trip.

my viper

enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree with Paul above, Nick. Best to plan two routes and take the best depending on weather on day of travel. Still got to be prepared for surprise changes. Should be a good drive nonetheless. Have fun.

OP
OP
W

white out

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, I am basing my route completely off of weather and having many break-away routes south from the 80 in case of severe weather.

The midwest weather is fairly foreseeable along with the forecast. But the mountains seem to be constantly changing, which is why I want to have as much up to date info on the conditions prior to getting to that area. There is a chance that the roads will be clear, wet, or light snow, making it passable with the Viper; and I would like to take that route if those conditions are present.

I will be running weather radio and using electronics to watch the radar of what weather is in front of us.

LifeIsGood, thanks for the info.

Nick

PAvenomRT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
White out, if I-70 is closed you can always try Route 6 over Loveland Pass. That will truly be a white out and a real challenge to your averaging 95 mph. If you are serious about driving that fast on public roads with a Viper during the winter (BTW, the day after Dec 25th is aka Dec 26th) then I am serious about Loveland Pass. Beautiful views if not for white outs.
PAVenomRT/10

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did drive over Loveland pass this fall and would recommend it for any Viper driver in the winter!
Would make my Vipers even more valuable! Thx. :2tu:

OP
OP
W

white out

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Isn't the 70 & the 6 the same road?

If it getting slammed with snow, then I am going to have to bail south (which is very likely). I've been driving the car when snow has been coming down here to brush up on Viper snow characteristics.

Nick

OP
OP
W

white out

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did drive over Loveland pass this fall and would recommend it for any Viper driver in the winter!
Would make my Vipers even more valuable! Thx. :2tu:

Just because it's cold and weather is adverse doesn't mean that all Viper owners crash ;)

I was out in the snow in single digit temps over the past few days. :drive:

Nick

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It just has to be dry but do be aware that traction is reduced at cold temps (under 60 F). 95 is a great cruising speed if you can get away with it. Using a radar detector?

OP
OP
W

white out

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm well aware of traction in low temperatures.

I will be running V1, Blinder Jammers, Trapster, CB, and of course keeping an eye out for the tell-tale spots/signs.

Nick

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Post some pics...:drive:

P9229491_VAIL_Sept.jpg

Vail in September...:eater:

OP
OP
W

white out

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's what it looks like right now (according to Colorado's site).

It looks like I should try to be in Denver around noon and take the pass during the warmer hours of the day. So there is a better chance of it being above freezing.

Nick

Roffey

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Haven't heard/seen many vipers in GR (just got my '95 RT in Sept) - someone told me a guy had one that ran a screen printing shop in back of the flower shop up the road.....zatchoo?

OP
OP
W

white out

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh, yeah there is a young guy (forgot his name) with a black GTS and red GTS. He owns a t-shirt shop on 44th & Kenowa, in Grandville. My friend with the white Gallardo said that he is a nice guy. He also made the shirts when we put on the Chicago Midnight Run.

I live in downtown Grand Rapids, across the street from Gardellas, Bar Divani, Hop Cat. Silver GTS ACR.

Nick

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Isn't the 70 & the 6 the same road?

If it getting slammed with snow, then I am going to have to bail south (which is very likely). I've been driving the car when snow has been coming down here to brush up on Viper snow characteristics.

Nick

Loveland Pass (US 6) is the route that must be taken to get around the Eisenhower tunnel if it is closed. It takes you right across the continental divide. Hazmat trucks aren't allowed in the tunnel and must take the pass to get around the tunnel. The only time the hazmat trucks are allowed in the tunnel is when Loveland Pass is closed...and then the tunnel is closed to all non-hazmat traffic at the top of every hour so that the hazmat trucks can get through it...no other vehicles are allowed in the tunnel while the hazmat trucks are going through it.

TheMilkman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was just up in the mountains this Sunday and the passes were nasty, for a Viper. There are steep fines if you get stuck along I-70.

Even though it was almost 70 in Denver today you never know on the roads in the mountains and Dec-Jan are very cold up there so the snow and ice on the roads lasts a lot longer.

If I was headed that way I would just plan on driving south.

Open road south of Colorado Springs and Pueblo then in New Mexico where you can do 95-120 "safely". Where if you hit dicey weather on I-70 it can take hours and hours to get through. I know I can make it Vail in the SUV in an hour and a half if the roads are clear, but if not it can take like 4 hours. Definitely use the cotrip.org web site and look at the cameras along the route. The tunnel, and Vail pass are the big ones to watch for. US 6 in the winter is always snow and ice so don't even try that. If the 2 cameras show the road without snow, or looking all brown you could make it through otherwise, punt and head south. Once you make it past Vail you should be in clearer weather, just watch for ice on bridges and in the shade. Also there can be a lot of sand on the corners.

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Be sure to plan your drive from Vegas To San Diego to avoid the traffic jam that is known as I-15 South. Its really easy to get caught in a 25mph bumper to bumper from 215 to Victorville or to hit rush hour once you get past Victorville. Don't plan on making good time across this road on a Sunday!

OP
OP
W

white out

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was just up in the mountains this Sunday and the passes were nasty, for a Viper. There are steep fines if you get stuck along I-70.

Even though it was almost 70 in Denver today you never know on the roads in the mountains and Dec-Jan are very cold up there so the snow and ice on the roads lasts a lot longer.

If I was headed that way I would just plan on driving south.

Open road south of Colorado Springs and Pueblo then in New Mexico where you can do 95-120 "safely". Where if you hit dicey weather on I-70 it can take hours and hours to get through. I know I can make it Vail in the SUV in an hour and a half if the roads are clear, but if not it can take like 4 hours. Definitely use the cotrip.org web site and look at the cameras along the route. The tunnel, and Vail pass are the big ones to watch for. US 6 in the winter is always snow and ice so don't even try that. If the 2 cameras show the road without snow, or looking all brown you could make it through otherwise, punt and head south. Once you make it past Vail you should be in clearer weather, just watch for ice on bridges and in the shade. Also there can be a lot of sand on the corners.
Thanks for the info. Two of my good friends basically said the same thing.

I was unaware of the fines.

Nick

NHL2133

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It looks like you are coming down I-76 from Nebraska. If so, you should be weary of snow and wind between the boarder and Denver. There is absolutely nothing to stop the wind up in the north east corner of CO, and even snow on the ground can turn into a blizzard. The state can and will close the interstate between the boarder and Denver. Also, I-76 is a horrible road to drive on, the upkeep *****! Be careful out there!

PAvenomRT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whiteout,
If you take I-70 through the mountatins, don't forget to bring chains for your Viper. If the weather is bad, you will need them. Also, just in case, you will see runaway truck ramps on the downslopes so if you pick up too much speed and hit an icy spot you may need to take the ramps. Just make sure there are no trucks following you!
PAVenomRT/10:)

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pictures! I want to see pictures ...like mine above. We took it when we left Vail for Las Vegas before VOI-IX

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang