Coming out of Winter Storage

pocketAA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a question about bringing the Viper out of Winter Storage. I changed the oil before I put my 99 RT/10 away for the winter. This past weekend I got her out and took her for a 20 mile spin. Car ran great. My question is: Do I really need to change the oil again after bringing her out of storage? It seems kind of point less since I just changed the oil in November. I spoke with a mechanic that I trust and he said that changing it once before you put it away for the winter is good enough. He said there is no reason to change it again when you bring it out of storage because the synthetic oils do not break down like conventional oil. Anyone have any advice?

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is absolutely no good reason to change brand new oil which is 5 months old. ...especially if the car was shut down last fall and not idled periodically.

Steve

OP
OP
P

pocketAA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve,
I think the same thing, but on here some people claim that you must change the oil before going into winter storage and also coming out. Just seemed a little too much for me. Glad someone agrees with me!

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've never changed my oil bringing it out of storage. It would be a waste of perfectly good oil.

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Actually guys, yes, it's not a bad idea to change the oil "after" storage. The reason why is because water condensates in the oil over time. Even in a sealed crankcase, moisture can build up in 5 or 6 months. I was surprised how much water condensation there was just on the frame when I went under.

What I don't understand is what difference does it make changing the oil "before" storage? It's not getting any dirtier or rubbing against parts just sitting there, so why change it? I wait till after storage to change mine.

SuperSaiks

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wouldn't any water condensation etc be immediatly burned off once the car gets up to temp???

Also I heard in regards to changing your oil before storage because there are contimanents in the used oil and it starts to chemically react to the internal parts of your engine. I'm not buying it,, at least not anything that gonna harm the engine.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How can you build condensation in a cold stored engine in ambient temperature? Water is a byproduct of combustion so you build condensation when the engine is running.

Secondly, water is burned off once the engine reaches operating temp but to completely burn off all the water it has to be for a prolonged period. That's why they say short drives are worse for your engine.

OP
OP
P

pocketAA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think I am with GTSnake and Steve on this one. If you change your oil prior to putting it away for the winter there is no reason to change perfectly good oil again when coming out of storage. It is just a waste.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Secondly, water is burned off once the engine reaches operating temp but to completely burn off all the water it has to be for a prolonged period. That's why they say short drives are worse for your engine.

This is very true. Short drives are definitely worse. In conjunction with water in the oil and winter storage, IMO starting your car in the winter, periodically, in a garage, idling--is not good. I just don't think there is any way to burn off the impurities of combustion while idling a cold engine--even for a half hour. In addition, you're probably leaving some condensation in the exhaust system. A good 30 minute run on the road will do the job, but not idling.

As for changing the oil, truth be told, our car has never been put away with 'brand new' oil. I've always managed to find another 1000 miles between snowflakes before having to pry the keys from my hands. I've used oil analysis since day one, and the oil has come back perfect every time. Heck, for an experiment one year, I put the car away with 5,000 miles on the oil, ran another 5,000 miles the next spring, and changed it (2 track events/several xcrosses on it). ..Sent a sample to Blackstone -- they wrote back and told me to extend the drain interval. The oil was perfectly fine. I typically change every 5 or 6 thousand miles. 64,000 miles to date ...and not putting around miles.

This business of changing the oil before storage, and after, seems ridiculous to me.

Steve

D

DAMN YANKEE

I'll add to the *** on this one...

The various positions are somewhat complicated by standards set for the proper storage of diesel engines in the winter or about to experience large down time.. Alot of wht I hear about the proper storage of engines is based on diesel practices.

Simple fact is that MOBIL 1 has its own characteristics that aid considerably to the long term storage of engines. But folks, that means LONG TERM storage as in NOT starting the engine every now and then. Those advantages have to do with coating capabilities and their ability to better protect against corrossion. Running the car every couple of weeks and moving it back and forth 8 - 10 feet keeps everything right and lubbed.

I do change the oil at the end of every season for three reasons. One, in the old days oiled "soured" became acidic (especially in diesel) and we wanted to store the blocks aways with fresh "sweet" oil. Secondly, by chaning the oil in the Fall, I was sure to start the next season with fresh oil. With MOBIL 1, well it would be a HUGE waste IMO to change in Fall and then again in the Spring! Thirdly, the water issue, if one CAN'T turn the rig over every couple of weeks or months than water can collect. This is especially true in a stone cold (frozen) garage! In a warm garage in the winter it is DRY in the winter.
Just running the engine gets most of the water out if you let the engine come up to where the fan turns on. Rolling the car those ten feet is a BIG help for the rest of the drive train.

Most important of all? Lower your tire pressure so the tires don't become flat! just be sure to refill in the Spring!

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think if you want to avoid flat spots on the tire you need to increase the pressure during storage not lower.

D

DAMN YANKEE

YIKES!!!!

What in GOd's name was I writing!!!!

Your are CORRECT up pressure...

ViperJames

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What I don't understand is WHY totally store the car in the winter? I do NOT drive my car if there is snow on the ground, but I run my car as often as possible in the winter to keep everything fresh and from sitting. Even if the roads are sandy, if you have a lot of wax on the car it can be cleaned off easily without washing. Even just a 10 minute right around the neighborhood is better than it sittin. I have never believed in totally storing a car.

D

DAMN YANKEE

It's not the sand...its the SALT. Even when the roads are "dry" the salt just blows throughout everything..and waits for rain.

OP
OP
P

pocketAA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree. The roads are just aweful in the winter and would not take the viper out on them. All kinds of grit, salt, and grim will find ways of getting stuck in places that you do not think of. Better to let it sit and wait until a good rain washes all that trash away.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What I don't understand is WHY totally store the car in the winter? I do NOT drive my car if there is snow on the ground, but I run my car as often as possible in the winter to keep everything fresh and from sitting. Even if the roads are sandy, if you have a lot of wax on the car it can be cleaned off easily without washing. Even just a 10 minute right around the neighborhood is better than it sittin. I have never believed in totally storing a car.

You must live in an area that doesn't get much snow. I'd probably drive year round if I could. As it is I Dodge (little pun;) snowflakes in the spring and fall. Statistics show that we will get a foot or better the month of April. Around 1988, we got 23 inches on May 11th. There are no bare side roads, or even city roads for several months of the winter here. The highways that are bare, after being well plowed, are white with salt from November (sometimes earlier) until now. We've only had 175" this year--a light year for snow. I think we hit 350" in the late 90s. You will not remove salt from the undercarriage of the car by washing it in the driveway. IMO, 10 minutes around the neighborhood is not better than sitting. I think storing a car for 5-6 months is not detrimental. At least, that's been my experience the last 22 years.

Steve

ViperJames

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve I am in CT. We definitely get our share of snow, but not as much as you. I guess I would probably be forced to store my car in your environement. My post was directed more at people in "similar" climates to me as I know a LOT of NY/CT and NJ members store their cars. I am more curious as to their reasoning than yours.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
James,

Well then, we're in total agreement because I would definitely get the old LND RKT out whenever I could--conditions permitting. Some highway mileage with some RPMs would be the best....and the most fun.

I lived in Exeter, NH for almost 6 months in 1983---but it was summer and 90's then. The NE is a very nice part of the country.

Steve

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang