Comments on living with a 4 Post lift?

jrkermode

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is not a "Which one should I buy?" or "Will it fit?" thread. We have a zillion of those, and I have read them all.

I am planning on purchasing a lift and can't decide between a 4 post and a single post.

From a purely practical standpoint, the 4 post would seem to be a no-brainer; it's cheaper, adds parking and facilitates service (I track my car so brakes are a constant maintenance item). However, I wonder if having 2 posts bisecting a 2 car garage is a royal pain in daily living.

I know at least one other poster has similar concerns, becasue I saw the subject addressed in one of the other 4 post threads. Unfortunately, no one chimed in with a response. Hence, this dedicated thread.

4 post owners please post your experiences with your lift in daily life.

For example, how is it getting the daily driver between those posts every day? And, not just for you, how is it for the significant other?

Do you find yourself cursing the posts when you set-up the table saw or assemble a new bicycle on Xmas eve?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is not a "Which one should I buy?" or "Will it fit?" thread. We have a zillion of those, and I have read them all.

I am planning on purchasing a lift and can't decide between a 4 post and a single post.

Do you find yourself cursing the posts when you set-up the table saw or assemble a new bicycle on Xmas eve?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

garage_lift_001.jpg

I understand your concerns with a four post. That's why I went with a single post...

trees-car_lift_002.jpg

3_car_garage_016.jpg

You must be registered for see images

woosch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think a 4 post lift is great for changing oil and other maintenance that doesn't require removing the wheels. A 2 post is much more useful for removing the wheels.

The single post looks to have the same issues as the 4 post.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think a 4 post lift is great for changing oil and other maintenance that doesn't require removing the wheels. A 2 post is much more useful for removing the wheels.

The single post looks to have the same issues as the 4 post.
I thought the photos would show that there is no comparison between a four post and single post lift... All of the activities pictured (I have a lot more photos of different things) couldn't have been done, or would have been a lot more difficult, with a 4 post lift. A two post is nice to remove the wheels but you still have the post in thew middle of the garage. If you do a lot of work your self and need to remove the wheels frequently, go two post

With all the room and mobility I gain with a single post, I have no problem using my floor jack to change wheels. Try washing your car under a four post or parking another vehicle any where but exactly under the center of the lift... I could go on and on...

OP
OP
J

jrkermode

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree 2 post is the way to go IF the focus is purely service. However, as Treesnake's pictures so vividly demonstrate, some of us (even those with super deep garages and an indecent number of Vipers:2tu:) use our garages for other stuff besides just cars.

A 4 post and especially a single post, give a chance of using the middle of the garage.

woosch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought the photos would show that there is no comparison between a four post and single post lift... All of the activities pictured (I have a lot more photos of different things) couldn't have been done, or would have been a lot more difficult, with a 4 post lift. A two post is nice to remove the wheels but you still have the post in thew middle of the garage. If you do a lot of work your self and need to remove the wheels frequently, go two post

With all the room and mobility I gain with a single post, I have no problem using my floor jack to change wheels. Try washing your car under a four post or parking another vehicle any where but exactly under the center of the lift... I could go on and on...

Sorry.. I wasn't very clear in my response. I meant the single post had the same issues with removing the tires as the 4 post.

I agree completely that the single post has huge advantages over the 4 post for pretty much everything else.

Lee

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also, I have a couple of those Hammerhead go carts (as seen in the photo under the lift)- aren't they a riot? The kids get tired of dad and his buddies running off with them.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also, I have a couple of those Hammerhead go carts (as seen in the photo under the lift)- aren't they a riot? The kids get tired of dad and his buddies running off with them.

The lift is made by Bendpak. It is rated at #6000. You can order them in 220 or 110v. It was around $5200.00 installed. With "my kids" hanging out there, professional installation wasn't a question on this lift...

The Hammerhead buggies are fun. 4 wheel disc brakes, "progressive clutch etc.. Might find this hard to believe but I am getting ready to paint it...Sapphire blue. :rolaugh::D

Lee

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the info.
We got a little crazy in the carts at about 2:00 a.m. on a Saturday night a couple weeks ago - the road rash down my left side and arm has mostly healed. I think I'll go back to doing my "stunt driving" in our Polaris Ranger - It's a little safer for the over forty/happy hour crowd.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The carpenter was nervous at first but got used to the cars over his head. I doubt we would have done the job like this with the additional posts... I am not knocking 2-4 post lifts, it depends on what you need them for.

11-08_003.jpg

liftgarage_10-07_001.jpg

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had a 4 post for about a month now. Yes, it does take getting used to. Learning how to line up the car pulling it up onto the lift takes time. Learning how to pull another car underneath takes time. My wife getting used to pulling her vehicle in beside the vipers took time. But overall we are really happy to have all the vehicles in the garage again. If I need to do other work in the garage, I just pull the wife's vehicle out, still plenty of room in the garage (ours is actually a 2.5 car garage with a workbench on the side).

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Four post for single car garage, but definitely a single post for a two or three car garage, non tandum. I went with American Lifts for both. If your garage is tight to start with, you will be loving that single post lift. Costs is comparible to what treesnake said.

Deal with Brad Davies, he is great! Southern California company and American Made Steel.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Isn't there some sort of bridge lift made for the single post lifts so the wheels can be lifted from the post deck?

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Isn't there some sort of bridge lift made for the single post lifts so the wheels can be lifted from the post deck?

Not for the Bendpak. I checked before I bought one. After owning one, I wouldn't want to use a lift jack. The single post lifts I have work on a type of counterbalance. The lift platform (and car) slightly move while overhead. It does take a little getting used to. There's no problem doing anything underneath the car, I just wouldn't want to put a jack on it. There are removable steel panels that fit between the rails so nothing gets leaked on below.

The single post lifts are primarily for storage, minor work and cleaning. If you are going to be using your lift for a lot of work on your car, I would recommend a 2-4 post lift. IMO...

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not for the Bendpak. I checked before I bought one. After owning one, I wouldn't want to use a lift jack. The single post lifts I have work on a type of counterbalance. The lift platform (and car) slightly move while overhead. It does take a little getting used to. There's no problem doing anything underneath the car, I just wouldn't want to put a jack on it. There are removable steel panels that fit between the rails so nothing gets leaked on below.

The single post lifts are primarily for storage, minor work and cleaning. If you are going to be using your lift for a lot of work on your car, I would recommend a 2-4 post lift. IMO...

Makes sense.

RX VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Treesnake- do you ever have this problem when the power is out at the house and you have to pick the car up yourself?? :rolaugh::rolaugh::rolaugh: My daughter just said I look like a midget in this photo; now that is funny!

You must be registered for see images attach

past ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can take a four poster lift with the caster kit, put the car on it, roll it to the back of the garage perpendicular to driving in, then lift the car, and it makes it a lot easier to park the front of your driver under the lift.....My $.02....

TexasPettey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I haven't had problems with my smaller 4 post lift. The width is less than 1/2 the garage (outside post to outside post). If you needed full access in the garage, you can always raise the lift to the max height. Mine is just about 6' underneath when fully raised. The posts are just about 14' length (inside to inside), so they don't interfere with the middle portion of the garage. I haven't found it to be any inhibitor. You do have to work around it a bit, but that will be the case for any lift.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Treesnake- do you ever have this problem when the power is out at the house and you have to pick the car up yourself?? :rolaugh::rolaugh::rolaugh: My daughter just said I look like a midget in this photo; now that is funny!

You must be registered for see images attach

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

CarDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Funny you guys are talking about this...since I just bought my 08 ACR, my brand new 08 Mitsubishi Evo MR was getting kick outside. I am really hitting the white trash mark. 6 cars...two drivers. My Ford F450 King Ranch is already outside, now with the ACR the garage is packed and I was already thinking about the single post. Any problems with its operation yet? Also is the single post super heavy to counter balance the car's weight? I am sure I will have to repour some new concrete, as I am not sure how thick my garage floor is.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would be concerned about a lift that has a maximum capacity of 4,000 pounds. that is a bit too close for comfort for me. Bendpak is 6,000.

I mostlikely will go single post but need to find the right one. I have a garage and a half.

The Bend Pak is a Chinese made lift and the quality scares me...anyone else feel the same? I found and American made one with e lifetime warranty, anyone have this one? Purchase A Made In The USA Car Lift From SuperLifts.com - Car Lifts, Auto Lifts, Motorcycle Lifts and other Garage Accessories

CarDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What specifically scares you about the quality of the Bend Pak lifts?

No offense to anyone from China, but they notorious for building substandard items. They copy other products and make cheap reproduction verions. I don't want to park my $100K ACR on a lift that is going to fold.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No offense to anyone from China, but they notorious for building substandard items. They copy other products and make cheap reproduction verions. I don't want to park my $100K ACR on a lift that is going to fold.

So you have a general concern about quality of products from China but no specific first-hand or second-hand quality issues with the Bend Pak lift itself, is that correct?

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

CarDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So you have a general concern about quality of products from China but no specific first-hand or second-hand quality issues with the Bend Pak lift itself, is that correct?

I have soooooo much experience with "Made in China" since virtually everything is these days. Its made in China because the cost of manufacturing is less, which means I am worried about a single post lift falling. I think I am rightly justified...my new ACR is going to go on top. Go back to my original question and you will see I am inquiring as to others opinions. Don't blindly recommend a manufacturer because of their name...base it on how they stand behind their product.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi