Comp Coupe Beats 08 ACR Heads Up @ Pocono

Dimitrios

Enthusiast
Reaction score
so i heard that there was some trash talking between the 08 ACR and comp coupe at the dinner before race day at pocono. apparently the comp coupe was getting bashed. Dodge had a 08 ACR #1 car with the designer along with it and it happened to be that Bob' Carrols Comp coupe was there as well. so they set up a race heads up one on one with steve katz and ralph. well guess who won?

thats right our very own steve katz in the comp coupe. keep in mind he only drove that car once before 2 years ago with no seat time really and the ACR has 90 more horses! way to go steve!!! if anyone has pics please post!!!:2tu:

Pix Courtesy of Dave Moore:
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Did they switch cars to see if it was the driver, or are both drivers pretty equal?
The comp coupe is no joke, ive been in one and it was scary fast on the track and handled and braked amazingly.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
steve is a FREAK

and i still wanna see him go up against some of the other awesome viper drivers, sundiego,slocal,chuck and i know there are a bunch of others. and then throw in a bigtime racer and see how they all do against him. my cash is on Steve

OP
OP
D

Dimitrios

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did they switch cars to see if it was the driver, or are both drivers pretty equal?
The comp coupe is no joke, ive been in one and it was scary fast on the track and handled and braked amazingly.

maybe the driver in the ACR was not as good, but he did design the car for dodge, and im sure he is a great driver and plus he had 90hp more to work with...

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
maybe the driver in the ACR was not as good, but he did design the car for dodge, and im sure he is a great driver and plus he had 90hp more to work with...

Didn't he also wreck the Challenger last month? :D

Besides, just because you design fighter jets don't make you a fighter pilot.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve's quite the unassuming guy, but for those that don't know, he was a Skip Barber series champion.
The first (and only) time he got to drive Bob's CC, was at LimeRock Park.....and he set a lap record!

Of course I'm not familiar with our member racers in other regions, but I'd venture that there are few that would be able to compete with Steve. MHO of course :D.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes...But D.... don't forget about the difference in weight. Most would trade the HP for the diet.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Were the two cars on equal tires?

ACR and Comp Coupe should be great competition for each other. The Comp Coupe carries lots of extra safety equipment and is track only. The ACR has full interior and is street legal.

Still interested though in the tires on each car.

OP
OP
D

Dimitrios

Enthusiast
Reaction score
damn, i feel so stupid now.. ive should of asked which tires, what gears, weight of each car, if the drivers swapped cars.. all these things i forgot to ask before opening my BIG MOUTH :eater:

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The result seems correct based on a stock to stock stat comparison.

CC: 2995 pounds. ( 415 pound weight advantage over stock ACR ) HP/Weight ratio = 5.7047
ACR: 3410 pounds regular model; 3370 pounds ********* model. HP/weight ratio = 5.6833

CC: lateral acceleration: 1.3 g - Significant advantage to CC.
ACR: less: 1.06 g

CC: 525HP
ACR: 600HP

CC: 540 lbs of Tq Tq/weight ratio = 5.5462
ACR: 560 lbs of Tq Tq/weight ratio = 6.0892

Last edited:

ACR steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL thanks guy it was a honor for Bob to let me drive his car . Ralph did a great job driving and is one hell of a nice guy. The Comp Coupe is awesome but hats of to the ACR my feeling is that it just might be the fastest street car in the world. What wasn't mentioned is Ralph smoked me in my 99ACR which has never happened to me on the track.
By the way for those that asked:Both CC and ACR were on R6's

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BY the way ACR is more like 635 hp :)

I used Dodge's stats. Some have stated that the actual numbers for the CC are also much higher. Rather than guessing at whose numbers are correct, I used the published numbers.

2006red/whitecoupe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I posted this a few weeks ago; our club visited Archer Racing May 10 and Tomy Archer was there and spoke about both cars. He felt that the Comp Coupe is faster but not by much. He did the testing for Dodge on both cars. He did say that he was testing the 08'ACR coupe at track earlir this year several weeks after Viper days had been there; his times were several seconds a lap faster than the fastest comp coupe had gone.

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
400 lbs > 100 crank hp ANY DAY OF THE WEEK.

What were the lap time differences? If the ACR was close, then that's more than good enough.

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What were the lap time differences? If the ACR was close, then that's more than good enough.

Not to mention, we always said such a comparison might depend upon the type of track. What kind of track is Pocono? Tight turns favoring lighter weight and big sweeping curves, favoring the CC? or long straights with banked curves at the end, favoring the ACR?

All other gear & driver switching questions also still apply.

If it was anywhere close, my vote goes to the ACR ...you can also drive it on the street.

ACR steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK OK I see where this is going I am getting e-mails like crazy.
I am derailing this post :) the Comp Coupe is fast as hell around a track and is purpose build race car and a very special one in that it was factory produced -Awesome

On the other hand the ACR is a street car that beats the worlds best street cars and most race cars as well. Whether it can beat a Comp Coupe or not should not be the issue. The issue is to me can it beat every other production car and from seeing how well it preformed this weekend "my personal opinion "

Let the world be warned the ACR Will Kick Your _ss

Thanks to Dodge for allowing great designers like Ralph and his team to have the freedom to build should great cars

P.S. I am buying raffle tickets ( build your own 2009 ACR)

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can put ACR Steve in a Smart Car and he'll beat you :D. Congrats Steve!

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I watched as they went by the start finish line for a few laps, and the distance between them didn't seem to change much from my perspective. I will gladly take the slower of that set any day of the week. :2tu:

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Its too bad Dodge didnt put the ACR on a diet. Even 200lbs, let alone the CC's 400lb wieght loss, would make worlds of difference in handling, braking and acceleration.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
so i heard that there was some trash talking between the 08 ACR and comp coupe at the dinner before race day at pocono. apparently the comp coupe was getting bashed. Dodge had a 08 ACR #1 car with the designer along with it and it happened to be that Bob' Carrols Comp coupe was there as well. so they set up a race heads up one on one with steve katz and ralph.

In the interest of full disclosure, the ACR is not even broken in yet....... (guess it is NOW!) and it DOES also have a Belanger Exhaust. At Gingerman just a few days prior, the ACR was reported a full 2.5-3 SEC / lap faster than the fastest VCC at G-man.

HEY! That decal on the ACR rear bumper looks familiar.....

XXX BLK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On the in field they were not allow to pass so Steve was getting held up by the slower cars on the in field Ralph would catch up thats why when they came by start finish it was always the same distance apart but from what I heard on a open track Steve would have lapped him under 10 laps.

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On the in field they were not allow to pass so Steve was getting held up by the slower cars on the in field Ralph would catch up thats why when they came by start finish it was always the same distance apart but from what I heard on a open track Steve would have lapped him under 10 laps.
Could that be driver advantage?

Its too bad Dodge didnt put the ACR on a diet. Even 200lbs, let alone the CC's 400lb wieght loss, would make worlds of difference in handling, braking and acceleration.

An ACR @ 2900 lbs would be insanely crazy.

Vipergtsbob

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
OK, as one of my heros, John Lennon once said about the famous (for those of you over 45 that is) "Paul (McCartney) is Dead" hoax, ........"Here's another clue for you all....."

As the unofficial official of this impromptu ACR VS COMP COUPE face off, or the Thrilla in Pocono", I can report that while my beloved Comp Coupe did in fact beat the ACR in several wheel to wheel laps, some details need to be mentioned.

First, Steve Katz could be one of the best semi-pro driver's there is... AND one damn good guy who loves and supports the VCA and constantly gives his valuable time to instruct newbies and even us driver's school alumni, who think we know something. Indeed on Memorial Day, Steve literally jumped out of a rookie's car, jumped into my CC
and got it on.
Now about the ACR. First it was brought from Michigan by none other than Ralph Gilles, Chrysler Designer extraordinare, and a BIG FRIEND OF THE VCA. Guys like Ralph and his lovely wife Doris, constantly help us in getting our club's message out and support our club events. Ralph agreed to this competition because he knows what a fantastically great car the ACR is, but he knew he would be facing a full race prepped CC that has been tuned and maintained by one of the best Viper mechanics there is, Scotty
"The Wrench" Sorrentino of Warnock Dodge. I have been driving this CC for almost 3 years and I can tell you that even in my very limited driver's skill set, I can kick almost any other make's butt in these friendly confrontations. In my buddy Steve Katz's hands, all comers are welcome.

Monday, it should not be lost that both Steve and I and several of our VCA leaders/members in the various times on the track pasted nearly every Ferrari (355's,360's,some race prepped), Lambo, Mustang etc on the track. (the event is the "Celebration of Speed and Design", "CSD" and featured this year almost 150 exotics including our Vipers) Admittedly, while most Vettes were also dispatched, there were a couple of Vettes (one with over 750HP/track prepped etc) that were equal in straights (possibly a little faster on certain laps) but were easily out distinced by the CC in the twisties.

Regarding the Pocono track, it is a full Nascar TriOval with very high speeds. (it will be featured in two nationally televised NASCAR CUP races later this summer) We use 2/3rds of it (eliminating last turn and going into great infield twisties) but still easily nearly 160 MPH on front and back straights. In fact the rear point of the "tri-oval" is the viscious "Tunnel Turn" of Nascar lore where there have been driver deaths and very serious wrecks. Steve is a master of Pocono, and frankly every tip he has ever given any of us that frequently drive there has been right on the money.
Regarding the ACR, it is truly awesome in every aspect. Although Ralph is a fine driver I would imagine that he could have done even better if he drove the CC, but we didn't have the time to do every configeration as we were also having some fun!

Regarding technical points, both cars to my knowledge had 3.07's; Ralph's ACR had the nonstock additons of Belanger headers, track wheels and slicks, but was otherwise stock. ONE BAD ASS CAR to be sure. My CC is a bone stock World Challenge package equipped car. It was Dyno'd at more than the stock factory quote and my recollection was by approximately 20-30 HP or so.

OK, enough BS. Bottom line, Steve Katz is one helluva driver, Scotty is one helluva mechanic, Ralph is both a great driver and great friend. An event that unites the VCA crew together so we can have one whale of a great time...now that's PRICELESS....

Bob

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte