Comp Coupe help???

Darell

Viper Owner
Reaction score
the viper comp coupe is a dream car of mine but I would like to street drive it and track occasionally. I know a few comp coups have been street driven what is the trick and how hard will it be? I'm located in Kansas so smog will not be a big thing

thanks
Darell

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I believe the BIG stumbling block is VIN.

It will not have a valid VIN.... so registration will be a huge issue.

CCBrian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No Vin #
Car is set-up too low to the ground
Interior tempatures @ 150 degrees on a 80 degree day
Many do not have headlights
Needs 100 octane fuel @ $8.00/gal
Sound issues-well above 103 Db.
Race brakes don't work well until lots of heat
Etc....

Sweet Ride

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In some states, you may be able to get an "assigned" VIN. However, it would generally only be valid in that state. You may also be able to get it titled as a kit car. In AZ the car has to have mirrors, proper lights, seat belts, and fenders to be considered for a kit car title. I know of an Indy car that was titled and street driven in Florida. It really all depends on the laws in Kansas.

SCLSSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't bother, although they are great fun on the track it would be miserable to drive on the street. Too many resaons to list here, just take it form someone who knows. I drove mine around to the track events at VOI in Las Vegas and just that little bit 1 mile at the most was no fun. Just getting in and out of them can be a pain and much worse for a passanger. NOT WORTH THE TROUBLE!!!!! By an ACR and be happy with the best of both worlds.

mcar00

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Don't bother, although they are great fun on the track it would be miserable to drive on the street. Too many resaons to list here, just take it form someone who knows. I drove mine around to the track events at VOI in Las Vegas and just that little bit 1 mile at the most was no fun. Just getting in and out of them can be a pain and much worse for a passanger. NOT WORTH THE TROUBLE!!!!! By an ACR and be happy with the best of both worlds.

I agree. If you want more of a track car than a street car I would start with an ACR and gut it. Do it so that it can always be restored to stock. It would be interesting to see what kind of lap times (relative to a Comp Coupe) the car could generate at ~3,000 pounds with track pads and slicks.

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe the guy on these boards you need to speak with is Wayne Finch. I have not yet seen the car in person, but he drives in on the street and it is legal. Dont know how but he does.....:confused:

Robert

ACR steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Buy an ACR trust me it will have more performance on a track then you can ever imagine. To give you an idea at Lime Rock with a passanger in the car bone stock the car had faster lap times then the Speed World Challange Touring class winning car. (and that was the driving only 7-8/10 of what it can do) The ACR is a very special car

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Buy an ACR trust me it will have more performance on a track then you can ever imagine. To give you an idea at Lime Rock with a passanger in the car bone stock the car had faster lap times then the Speed World Challange Touring class winning car. (and that was the driving only 7-8/10 of what it can do) The ACR is a very special car

Not a fair comparison....Touring is not GT

CCBrian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not a single body panel on a CC fits a street car- only the windsheild. Also, at Thundrhill in CA my fastest time in my CC on DOT tires was 156.2. My fastest so far in the ACR has been 203.3. And mine has been to DC and made as much as 638 hp. to the wheels with ECU and headers/cats and 100 octane fuel (how we ran it at the track)...still not in the same league...but it is screaming fast for a street car with AC.

Last edited:

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe the guy on these boards you need to speak with is Wayne Finch. I have not yet seen the car in person, but he drives in on the street and it is legal. Dont know how but he does.....:confused:

Robert

That is not a comp coupe it is a regular coupe that has comp coupe bodywork added

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not a single body panel on a CC fits a street car- only the windsheild. Also, at Thundrhill in CA my fastest time in my CC on DOT tires was 156.2. My fastest so far in the ACR has been 203.3. And mine has been to DC and made as much as 638 hp. to the wheels with ECU and headers/cats and 100 octane fuel (how we can it at the track)...still not in the same league...but it is screaming fast for a street car with AC.

Wayne Finch did it at a huge cost, it can be done, not easily

mcar00

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Not a single body panel on a CC fits a street car- only the windsheild. Also, at Thundrhill in CA my fastest time in my CC on DOT tires was 156.2. My fastest so far in the ACR has been 203.3. And mine has been to DC and made as much as 638 hp. to the wheels with ECU and headers/cats and 100 octane fuel (how we ran it at the track)...still not in the same league...but it is screaming fast for a street car with AC.

When you ran these lap times what tires did you have on each car? Were the suspension settings and aero on the ACR optimized for the track? Do you think the biggest difference between the two cars is weight? I would think 400 pounds could be worth about 4 seconds a lap.

CCBrian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When you ran these lap times what tires did you have on each car? Were the suspension settings and aero on the ACR optimized for the track? Do you think the biggest difference between the two cars is weight? I would think 400 pounds could be worth about 4 seconds a lap.

Hoosier DOT's on the Comp Coupe, and the factory Pilot Cups on the ACR. DC did a basic rough track set up. Might be faster with a smooth track setup but the car would be to low to actually drive to the track...might gain a second with that setup. Fireball recently ran the track-if your out there, what did your ACR run at TH-his is trailered and has a better setup.

The weight difference between the two cars is actually over 600 pounds. CC weighs in at 2950 wet, and the ACR is over 3500 wet. We have a 4 point roll bar in the ACR-but any weight gain should be offset by a stiffer chassis/better handling.

mcar00

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hoosier DOT's on the Comp Coupe, and the factory Pilot Cups on the ACR. DC did a basic rough track set up. Might be faster with a smooth track setup but the car would be to low to actually drive to the track...might gain a second with that setup. Fireball recently ran the track-if your out there, what did your ACR run at TH-his is trailered and has a better setup.

The weight difference between the two cars is actually over 600 pounds. CC weighs in at 2950 wet, and the ACR is over 3500 wet. We have a 4 point roll bar in the ACR-but any weight gain should be offset by a stiffer chassis/better handling.

I guess that makes sense. The CC was about seven seconds a lap faster than the ACR. Roughly 5 seconds due to the weight difference and a couple seconds due to the tire compound maybe. It would be interesting to see someone convert an ACR to a race car and see how it would compare racing against Comp Coupes. I don't know if you could ever get the weight of the ACR down to the level of the Comp Coupe without spending a fortune though. Thanks for your comments.

SCLSSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are interested in an ACR converted to "FULL RACE" Ben Keating @ Tomball Dodge has one that is being finished now, give him a call I am sure he would love to hear from someone that might be interested in buying the car when it is finished.

ACR steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would love to see a gutted ACR vs the CC on the same tires............. I bet the difference is not much at all and remember one was a factory race car and one is none tube street car. Regardless of which is faster it is amazing that the Viper team has developed a street car that we can rationally try and compare with the Comp Coupe....... Long Live Viper

dtenney

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Comp Coupe to ACR comparisons I have read are based on a VRL spec and not WC spec Comp Coupe. In my opinion, to compete with a WC Comp Coupe the ACR would need race seat, headers, ecu, shock upgrade to Motons/Penske with heavier springs, spherical bearing in suspension, and Hoosier tires.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ralph Gilles's ACR is probably the closest ting to a race car that's out there right now - ECU, headers, and a few other tweaks. His lap times were well within range of a VRL spec comp coupe - even riunning the Michelin Pilot Sport Cups against the Hoosier VRLs.

The aero on the ACR is tons better than the VRL (stock) CC. And remember the CC's are still using the Gen III engine as a base.

The car is the real deal - there's just no need to buy a comp coupe and try to 'convert' it - the ACR is all that - and then some.

That's why my ACR is on order. :) And Henry will be stuck with that slow old CC.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No Vin #
Car is set-up too low to the ground
Interior tempatures @ 150 degrees on a 80 degree day
Many do not have headlights
Needs 100 octane fuel @ $8.00/gal
Sound issues-well above 103 Db.
Race brakes don't work well until lots of heat
Etc....

In some states, you may be able to get an "assigned" VIN. However, it would generally only be valid in that state. You may also be able to get it titled as a kit car. In AZ the car has to have mirrors, proper lights, seat belts, and fenders to be considered for a kit car title. I know of an Indy car that was titled and street driven in Florida. It really all depends on the laws in Kansas.

Why not put comp coupe body parts on a 06 coupe?

Wayne Finch did it at a huge cost, it can be done, not easily

I bet that cost an arm and a leg...

I would like to see pics of the beast.

What's the problem... NO CC Street Car ???.. :omg:

-1,000+ hp 522 CI Twin Turbo (done in two weeks...)
-Gforce close ratio tranny w/ CC mts.
-Quaiffe (soon to be swapped for Gilken diff.)
-Motons, aligned and corner balanced
-Brembo 6 piston GT brakes and rotors
-Mich. Sport Cup tires 18" front-19" rear
+
-air conditioning
-sound system
-power windows...

Track_Day.jpg

SS_9-12-08_017.jpg

Sunset_SS_005.jpg

I drive it everwhere....:dunno:

;););)...JK

Last edited:

CCBrian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Comp Coupe to ACR comparisons I have read are based on a VRL spec and not WC spec Comp Coupe. In my opinion, to compete with a WC Comp Coupe the ACR would need race seat, headers, ecu, shock upgrade to Motons/Penske with heavier springs, spherical bearing in suspension, and Hoosier tires.

At this track a VRL CC is @ 2 seconds a lap slower than a WC spec car. The WC cars have much better areo and another 70 hp or so. VRL tires are full race slicks-my fastest time was on DOT Hoosiers, not full slicks. ACR's are also on DOT tires. And our ACR alrealdy has headers, ECU, streeting rack work, 4 point roll bar, hi flow cats, Woodhouse motor mounts, shifter, etc. About as much modding that can be done and still be a "street" car. Weight is the key here. Don't get me wrong-I love both cars! Also, a CC is not a tube frame car.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only reasonable excuse to have a CC street car would be the convenience of driving to promotional events for a race team or business. And that would be a stretch to justify. It isn't that I would be uncomfortable street driving it, it's just that it would be such a waste of such a great car. The last thing I would want is more street miles than track miles on a CC. That just screams poser.

Get yourself an ACR. That is the greatest balance of both street and track ever built.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only reasonable excuse to have a CC street car would be the convenience of driving to promotional events for a race team or business. And that would be a stretch to justify. It isn't that I would be uncomfortable street driving it, it's just that it would be such a waste of such a great car. The last thing I would want is more street miles than track miles on a CC. That just screams poser.

Get yourself an ACR. That is the greatest balance of both street and track ever built.

Man....Guess I'm a.... "poser"...:dunno:

With over a thousand horsepower...;)